Goodbye Jesus

Do You Sin Against God Or Man?

Greatest I am

Do you sin against God or man?

I saw this video and did not agree with it.

If I sin, I think I sin against another human. Not against God. Against his law of course, or to be more specific, against the laws that men have attributed to God, but not against God.

This clip ignores the human victim altogether as if the victim has no right to feel offended and also have no responsibility to forgive the offender.

I find it rather droll that we are supposed to see God as the victim of all our sins.

If you were to visualize, for instance, God being the victim of all Gay sins, well you see what I mean.

Rather a startling picture right?

Sin also brings up the topic of forgiveness.

If you or I forgive a sin done against us, is there any reason for the sinner to kowtow to God for more forgiveness?

The sin, once forgiven by you or I is, well, forgiven. What exactly is God forgiving. The sin has been annulled by our forgiveness so God forgiving it is rather superfluous and in reality, if at the pearly gates, God were to seek to punish a forgiven sin then one could make a case that God is unjust.

Is God sticking his nose where it is not required in the case of saying we sin against him and in our seeking forgiveness for a forgiven sin?

Regards

DL

Sin. What a concept.

Does it have to be either/or?

Guest Valk0010

If your going to talk about sin as concept(not sure it exists) then I would say you only sin against those you hurt, not against some skygod. Here is why, how can your actions hurt a god, unless a god allows himself to be hurt by your actions.

• Like 1

Because there is no such thing as sin, man can only commit crimes against man. There is no god that cares if we sin or not. If a god cares who I have sex with is harmed by that knowledge then it shouldn't poke his nose where it doesn't belong.

I think many Christians have the mindset that whenever you sin against another person, you are not following god's will for your life. Whenever you behave in a way that defies god's will, that is a sin against god even though the primary behaviors are between two or more humans.

Of course when you "look under the hood" of that thought process, you see what a perfect way it is to gain power and influence over people. What is at first a private matter between two individuals gains ultimate status. You not only hurt the other person, you offend an almighty god who will toss you into hell if you don't straighten up.

• Like 1

We cannot lie,sin, steal, cheat, because he says Gods 'character' cannot do these things?? Start at Genesis 'Mister Minister'!

I've had some hurts in my day from friends, and family - but NOTHING compared to the pain I am in now, knowing what a horrible God I worshiped all those years!

I also knelt at the alter a thousand times, asking god for forgiveness for my 'sins' because he was supposed to be so 'holy'. .................

I hurt all kinds of people in my life because of my stupid actions - yeah - that's who I hurt and that's who I feel bad about today........

Sin. What a concept.

A common tool for social manipulation and control.

What is surprising?

Sin is to religion what crime is to secular governments.

Same difference. Religion is more retarded but not that far from pot and drug laws.

Regards

DL

Does it have to be either/or?

What else did you have in mind?

If your going to talk about sin as concept(not sure it exists) then I would say you only sin against those you hurt, not against some skygod. Here is why, how can your actions hurt a god, unless a god allows himself to be hurt by your actions.

I agree completely. We cannot hurt a God.

Regards

DL

Because there is no such thing as sin, man can only commit crimes against man. There is no god that cares if we sin or not. If a god cares who I have sex with is harmed by that knowledge then it shouldn't poke his nose where it doesn't belong.

I agree.

In Canada we say that the government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Perhaps the U S will catch up soon and stop legislating discrimination against those big bad Gay dudes.

Land of the free. Ya.

Regards

DL

I think many Christians have the mindset that whenever you sin against another person, you are not following god's will for your life. Whenever you behave in a way that defies god's will, that is a sin against god even though the primary behaviors are between two or more humans.

Of course when you "look under the hood" of that thought process, you see what a perfect way it is to gain power and influence over people. What is at first a private matter between two individuals gains ultimate status. You not only hurt the other person, you offend an almighty god who will toss you into hell if you don't straighten up.

The last thing I will do is push anything Christian but this is to show you that some of them are brighter than others. He is speaking about guilt as a church tool in the same vein as what you and I understand it.

Regards

DL

We cannot lie,sin, steal, cheat, because he says Gods 'character' cannot do these things?? Start at Genesis 'Mister Minister'!

I've had some hurts in my day from friends, and family - but NOTHING compared to the pain I am in now, knowing what a horrible God I worshiped all those years!

I also knelt at the alter a thousand times, asking god for forgiveness for my 'sins' because he was supposed to be so 'holy'. .................

I hurt all kinds of people in my life because of my stupid actions - yeah - that's who I hurt and that's who I feel bad about today........

Sounds like you have learnt and repented. savor the lesson and your ability to learn and move on.

I was born with a -------

and know where you are coming from.

Think the Candide way a bit and you will see that all of us are in the same boat.

You were only doing the best you could with the conditions at hand.

Candide

"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPClzIsYxvA

Regards

DL

[sin] noun, verb, sinned, sin·ning.–noun

1.transgression of divine law: the sin of Adam.

2.any act regarded as such a transgression, esp. a willful ordeliberate violation of some religious or moral principle.

3.any reprehensible or regrettable action, behavior, lapse, etc.;great fault or offense: It's a sin to waste time.

–verb (used without object)

4.to commit a sinful act.

5.to offend against a principle, standard, etc.

–verb (used with object)

6.to commit or perform sinfully: He sinned his crimes withoutcompunction.

7.to bring, drive, etc., by sinning: He sinned his soul toperdition.

Definition 1 would be against a deity. Definition 3 and 5 point to people. Take your pick.

The crux of what this dill hole is saying, is that God defines morality. This is very convenient bullshit. By definition then, if god does it, it's ok. So apparently, rape and slavery are just peachy, while worshiping the wrong god gets you stoned. Oh, and don't be gay either.

Lawl silly daddy.

The whole thing is based off the premise that there is a 'god' or 'sin' at all. If you go off that premise his argument is relatively sound... but it's hard to make a good argument when you build on sand and not rock.

Lawl Christian analogies.

The crux of what this dill hole is saying, is that God defines morality. This is very convenient bullshit. By definition then, if god does it, it's ok. So apparently, rape and slavery are just peachy, while worshiping the wrong god gets you stoned. Oh, and don't be gay either.

I like the idea of God defining morality, if he ever showed up to be questioned that is.

Hard for an invisible dude to define much of anything.

Regards

DL

If the "True God" is the god of the Bible, then it seems to me, that a simple reading of that book would indicate that God has no authority whatsoever to even talk about morality and sin, from all the stuff He's done and ordered done. The moral concepts which come to us from evolution/humanism are vastly superior to anything we could hope to gather from the tangled mess of contradictions found in the Bible. So, IMHO, we sin against man, not god.

• Like 1

If the "True God" is the god of the Bible, then it seems to me, that a simple reading of that book would indicate that God has no authority whatsoever to even talk about morality and sin, from all the stuff He's done and ordered done. The moral concepts which come to us from evolution/humanism are vastly superior to anything we could hope to gather from the tangled mess of contradictions found in the Bible. So, IMHO, we sin against man, not god.

I agree.

All conclusions and morals based on scripture is likely wrong or slightly twisted. After all, it was invented for a different purpose that what we use it for today.

It was designed for social manipulation and control. Not a guide to God.

Regards

DL

• Like 1