Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Like In Person?

dB-Paradox

I'm VERY quiet. I won't talk to people unless I am talked to. I'm not one of those people who "Go Out" on a regular basis. I just never have been a social person. Which sucks because I enjoy engaging in a decent conversation.

Sense of Humor

I love to make people laugh, though I would be a total flop as a stand-up comedian. The way my sense of humor works is by reacting to what other people say with a one-liner or by saying something absurd with an ultra-serious face. I also like to do what are really corny things, but coming from me, a lawyer with a lot of education, is funny to people because they do not expect it from me.

For example, I was with a group of friends the other night having dinner. There was one person there who didn't know me. The conversation was about a church that those of us who knew each other attended together for years but which subseuquently closed. Others were relating when they first started with that church and some of their experiences. It was about that time that I said with a very serious face,

"I started with that church in 1948."

My friends knew that wasn't true and that it was an absurd statement and they all started laughing real hard (you had to be there). But the one person whom I had only just met, looked at me very curiously and tentatively said,

"How old are you?"

That caused even more laughter because I was born in 1956 and, I'm glad to say, I don't look like I am old enough to have attended anything in 1948. Her reaction to my serious face caused even more laughter. And that was what I was after.....

OF, I laughed so hard at this because this is EXACTLY something I would do. I'll say the most absurdest things with the straightest face and half the time people will believe me. I remember in college I said something like "You know Ugg Boots were originally designed to keep the feet of sheep warm in winter?" Several people were amazed *Wow, really! That is soo neat!* and only one person laughed their ass off cause they knew me well enough

As a whole, I'm honestly amazed at how similar we all are (at least the people posting so far). People mention things that I may have not mentioned but are true of me and overall we have more in common than what we don't.

I'm pretty much the same in person as I am here except that keep quiet more often (unless there is a good discussion going on about something I am very much passionate of). I'm fairly taciturn, so I delight in people not knowing everything about me.

Big fat INTP here, and pretty much fit that in person. Pretty socially awkward. Nervous.

The fact that you guys know MBTI makes me happy.

I'm outgoing, but still an introvert. I would rather be at home with my boyfriend and child. I can joke with people, but due to emotional abuse from my family growing up, I really can only share feelings comfortably with my boyfriend, and sometimes even that is hard, so I tend to write out my feelings to him when something is wrong. I'm a gamer nerd, I love my child, and since leaving my religion and, parents behind, am a lot calmer and quieter than before. I still need therapy, desperately.

Sense of Humor

I love to make people laugh, though I would be a total flop as a stand-up comedian. The way my sense of humor works is by reacting to what other people say with a one-liner or by saying something absurd with an ultra-serious face. I also like to do what are really corny things, but coming from me, a lawyer with a lot of education, is funny to people because they do not expect it from me.

For example, I was with a group of friends the other night having dinner. There was one person there who didn't know me. The conversation was about a church that those of us who knew each other attended together for years but which subseuquently closed. Others were relating when they first started with that church and some of their experiences. It was about that time that I said with a very serious face,

"I started with that church in 1948."

My friends knew that wasn't true and that it was an absurd statement and they all started laughing real hard (you had to be there). But the one person whom I had only just met, looked at me very curiously and tentatively said,

"How old are you?"

That caused even more laughter because I was born in 1956 and, I'm glad to say, I don't look like I am old enough to have attended anything in 1948. Her reaction to my serious face caused even more laughter. And that was what I was after.....

OF, I laughed so hard at this because this is EXACTLY something I would do. I'll say the most absurdest things with the straightest face and half the time people will believe me. I remember in college I said something like "You know Ugg Boots were originally designed to keep the feet of sheep warm in winter?" Several people were amazed *Wow, really! That is soo neat!* and only one person laughed their ass off cause they knew me well enough

As a whole, I'm honestly amazed at how similar we all are (at least the people posting so far). People mention things that I may have not mentioned but are true of me and overall we have more in common than what we don't.

Oh, yeah! I'm going to remember that one, JadedAtheist!! Thanks. :lmao:

I can't believe anyone would trust me to give anything like an objective assessment of myself.

I don't mind the sun sometimes

the images it shows

I can taste you on my lips

and smell you in my clothes

cinnamon and sugary

like softly spoken lies

you never know just how you look

through other people's eyes

the images it shows

cinnamon and sugary

like softly spoken lies

Great butthole surfers song..

I learned along time ago that it doesn't pay to be two different people. I am pretty much as I am here.

I speak my mind and enjoy life as much as I can. Though I can play politics if I have too, though I very much dislike it.

anything else just ask.

I'm VERY quiet. I won't talk to people unless I am talked to. I'm not one of those people who "Go Out" on a regular basis. I just never have been a social person. Which sucks because I enjoy engaging in a decent conversation.

Talk to me, talk to me!!

I can't believe anyone would trust me to give anything like an objective assessment of myself.

the images it shows

cinnamon and sugary

like softly spoken lies

Personally Legion, i think you are CHICKEN :)

Its basically summed up in my username. I'm a quiet person and prefer to be on my own, avoiding the social scene. I'm not shy, but I'm ackward socially due to an anxiety disorder I've stuggled with for many years. I have a sarcastic and cynical view of life, but I laugh easily and do enjoy pulling pranks on people I know well.

Its basically summed up in my username. I'm a quiet person and prefer to be on my own, avoiding the social scene. I'm not shy, but I'm ackward socially due to an anxiety disorder I've stuggled with for many years. I have a sarcastic and cynical view of life, but I laugh easily and do enjoy pulling pranks on people I know well.

I'm finding myself getting more and more awkward in social settings. I'm not sure if I'm not being myself enough because I feel "myself" is not good enough, or if I'm being too much myself. Maybe it's a bit of both. Oh, and what Overcame Faith and Foolish Girl said about movies really resonates with me. I love well thought-out movies (which is probably why Transformers 2 bit the dust IMO) and I really love movies that make me cry! I often buy the score to such films!

I love you guys - I really do! Finding this was one of the best things that has ever happened to me! I have been feeling so much better since i found this forum.

I mean that from the bottom of my heart.:cloud9_99:

I sincerely hope I've been even a small part of this for you - I'd like to think there's some point to this formless void my life has become.

In real life - I don't even know myself well enough anymore to hazard a guess on this. I have no job and no social life, and almost every point of reference I knew has blown away. One thing I can definitely say is that I don't curse in real life like I do here - only under my breath when I'm home alone, and that in single words as a sort of spontaneous commentary on where life has taken me. Or rather where I've taken myself.

I am an INTJ as most others on here...but I swing between being introverted and extroverted. For me to become really open and talkative it has to be the right setting with the right people. My favorite thing to do is to have a few drinks and some good food surrounded with a close knit group of friends. I don't like large groups of people or large gatherings except for the occasional concert or football game. My girlfriend describes me as a "cat" in that I am extremely independent and pretty well self contained.

This is how I'd describe myself as well.

I don't think that I'm much different in person from how I am on the forum - and I've been told that by people who have met me in real life from other online groups. I like to talk if I have something to contribute, and I like to help people solve any kind of problems, and I'm not shy about speaking up in those circumstances, but if I don't feel that I have something in common to talk about or that the conversation is about stupid things, I won't say anything and will probably stop paying attention. However, with a small group of friends, I'm willing to join in for almost anything.

My wife says I'm a very caring individual. I think I'm just a guy that has to do what has to be done. This means usually being a nice person to nice people but when people criticize my family for our beliefs or more than usual our disabilities, we don't walk very well, my wife's been spit on in WalMart before for moving too slowly. Push me too far and we've got a whole new time paradox.

I try to always be sincere about how I present myself. I am more vocal online in that I would certainly not engage in the same conversations with strangers in real life that I do online but that is true of everyone I think. But the tone I try to convey and the things I do say are accurate to who I am online or offline. I don't post as much in the forum but I am in the chat room because I like conversational style better than the more formal set up of the forum. Its very handy for discussions, but I feel like I need to craft my posts in the forum very carefully.

I was like that in school when we had discussions as well. I would usually only say one or two things but I would always be sure that they were exactly what I wanted to say. I am not confrontational. I am very empathetic so its hard to argue fiercely against other people. However, when their position defies logic and basic decency I have no problem pointing it out. I am introverted in that I am constantly analyzing my emotional responses to reality and trying to be consistent as possible. Its very important that I am true to myself and that means constantly examining what makes me tick and why. Its a lot easier to relate to other people when I am well aware of my own standing.

Over analyzing things leads to problems as well. I am sometimes unable to form a concrete opinion about a subject. I have also been unable to act in a timely manner because I was hostage to my never ending inner debate. I tend to judge myself very harshly. I had severe social anxiety when I was younger, debilitating to the point that I was constantly imagining every thing I did was being judged and ridiculed by everyone else. It was almost overnight when I decided that I didn't care what 'those' people thought of me, mostly because I finally realized that I like who I am.

I am the sort who wants/ needs only one or two close friends. With one person I can talk to for hours about everything and nothing I am more than satisfied. In many ways the internet makes this easier. Now I have a few outlets in which I can let everything off my chest, without the pain (but also the intimacy) of personal connection and judgement. I do miss having my mom or a good female friend around that I can stay up till 4am with a bottle of wine and talk and talk.

A friend told me once that she liked hanging out with me because even though I have kids I am still just me. After analyzing myself for so long, finally being able to embrace who I am and be that person all the time, even online what you see is what you get.

For those that like the personality test I'm a true INFP.

I'm both an introvert and an extrovert. I hate fighting and confrontation, but sometimes it wells up so strong in me that I become very confrontational. In life people have told me I'm extremely loyal, also focused. I open my mouth without thinking sometimes, and often sound too harsh because I speak bluntly. I cry when I watch emotional movies. Love to play music with the energy level of a speeding locomotive. Get in my way and you'll get hurt, not by any conscious choice, it's just the energy level.

I am very empathetic so its hard to argue fiercely against other people. However, when their position defies logic and basic decency I have no problem pointing it out. I am introverted in that I am constantly analyzing my emotional responses to reality and trying to be consistent as possible. Its very important that I am true to myself and that means constantly examining what makes me tick and why. Its a lot easier to relate to other people when I am well aware of my own standing.

I identify very closely with this, but have never been able to put it into words. You said it eloquently and precisely. Thank you for sharing.

I cross between introvert/extrovert, depending on the situation.

I am a very self-confident person in real life, and I know what I want.

"My way or the highway", is pretty much my attitude.

Usually when I am quiet it's because I am bored, or just not interested enough in a person or situation to be bothered with expending the energy to interact.

Whatever I say or do here is pretty much my true self - not much different from real life.

I'm a very quiet person when I'm around people that I don't know well, and even then I can be very quiet and observe more than I speak. Of course, I also have this tendency online. I lurk far more than I post, and when I do post I try to put a lot of thought into what I type. In person the only thing that I censor that I don't on a forum like this or my blog is my atheism (for now). Other than that, I am pretty much the same person online as I am in person.

I grew up using the internet to communicate. I started chatting on BBS before I was a teen, and was on USENET around the same time. Then when the internet began to explode in the early 90s I started chatting on IRC and frequenting internet forums. I have met many of my best friends online, and have met in person with a large number of people that I met online. I quickly learned that it was far more rewarding to be myself online than to be something I am not. I learned that, for the same reasons as in person, that it is usually more rewarding to act civil than to be a troll. :)

I despise conflict online as much as I do in person, and will generally shy away from it or try to find a common ground.

I'm a very quiet person when I'm around people that I don't know well, and even then I can be very quiet and observe more than I speak. Of course, I also have this tendency online. I lurk far more than I post, and when I do post I try to put a lot of thought into what I type.

This describes me too, SecretAtheist. I tend to be self conscious, more so online. It seems opposite of how most people are. Unlike you, I haven't used forums much and it's awkward. I'm much more confident in real life. At least, I think I pretend well enough. I'm insecure and very independent. Interesting combination. I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I love to laugh and hear others laugh, especially my husband. I've been told I'm quirky by more than one person. I am. I'm moody and inconsistent (but it makes sense to me!). I'm difficult to get close to and don't trust easily. Small talk is easy for me - I think because it doesn't require much depth or commitment. I have few close friends, but they are deep and enduring relationships that I cherish. I'm uncomfortable in crowds and social settings (such as church or school). I feel inferior and intimidated by people who I perceive to be more intelligent than myself. I'm not much of a debater - you won't see me posting in the Lion's Den. I like quiet and if I don't get enough of it, I feel crazy and stressed. On the other hand, I like loud, energetic music. Go figure. I tend to 'live in my head' a lot. I love to learn about things and like to read and listen to educational podcasts and take notes. I love to take notes. I like to observe people and try to figure them out. It's interesting to read the responses to this thread vs what my impressions are of some of you. Since I don't like conflict, I can to be passive aggressive, though I hate it and avoid it when I realize what I'm doing. I strive to be the best person I can be even when it's hard to do. I'm a perfectionist and a clean freak (not quite OCD), and get frustrated when others aren't. I can be stubborn and tend to perform best when I'm challenged.