Goodbye Jesus

John Shelby Spong - The Roots Of Religion

Guest Valk0010

Bishop Spong has a lot of good insight and interesting things to say. I find it very interesting that he notices a lot of the same things many Ex-C's notice about the God of the Bile and behaviours of people in various religions.

OH-MY-GOD! :twitch: Never in 15 minutes have I heard someone 'sum up' what I have felt for years!

It may be the second coffee that I am drinking, that my heart is pounding in my chest.

This small video could be the 100% breaking point for me in giving up this whole god damned fight for Christianity.

I love John and one of the first books I read a long, long time ago was, ''Why Christianity must Change or Die''.

WOW - I need to go take a break! :Doh: Thank you for posting this! I think?

Guest I Love Dog

OH-MY-GOD! :twitch: Never in 15 minutes have I heard someone 'sum up' what I have felt for years!

Margee, that's because it is commonsense! Anyone who thinks deeply about religion, Christianity in particular, can see through it a a very short time!

J S Spong very succinctly sums up the nonsense of Christianity and the bible!

It's just a great pity that it's necessary for someone to tell people that there is not a god, just because someone else told us that there is! The probability is almost 100% that there isn't a god, or the possibility that there are thousands. I know what I believe!

Um guys, there are squillions of people who could not exist without their tribal stuff. Extends way past religion in our society. Only a few people will ever choose to peel the layers off the onion in ANY area of life that requires actual thought, introspection or analysis. Now, if only I could get people to stop worshipping money and self interest, and women to stop the body related self hatred.............

Excellent video. I have liked Bishop Spong for awhile now, though I haven't seen this video. He articulately and passionately outlines the ways people project their prejudices on their "god" to justify their own hatred. Very interesting, it would seem our tribal gods are in a power struggle across the world. Who's tribal god will win out?

When I get some time - I want to watch more of John's you-tube's. I haven't read his books in a long time.I still have them.

He sounds like one of us?? Do you think he is? Is he too scared to come out of the closet? Does he still preach 'Jesus'? What does this guy actually believe and preach? Does anyone know? :shrug:

I really like him. That video effected me so much yesterday! I'm going to watch it again today.

Guest Valk0010

When I get some time - I want to watch more of John's you-tube's. I haven't read his books in a long time.I still have them.

He sounds like one of us?? Do you think he is? Is he too scared to come out of the closet? Does he still preach 'Jesus'? What does this guy actually believe and preach? Does anyone know? :shrug:

I really like him. That video effected me so much yesterday! I'm going to watch it again today.

Dan Dennet once said about him that (Sponge) should become a atheist. Not because of some sort of religious zeal thing, because his liberal christianity is so similar to atheism.

Dan Dennet once said about him that (Sponge) should become a atheist. Not because of some sort of religious zeal thing, because his liberal christianity is so similar to atheism.

For anyone interested: ''The Terrible Texts Of The Bible',' Burke Lecture, by John Shelby Spong:

Some real good stuff said! :scratch:

The speech was good. But I'd like to know if Spong picked the images to go along with the video. Anyone know?

P

He's still an ordained minister, albeit retired. I think he has fears about coming out, but he has stated he'd like to believe there is an afterlife. I also think he doesn't want to admit, even to himself, that he is atheistic, because he cling to his human created god concept. Yes, he does have a god concept, which can be seen in his books and his videos, as well as youtube sermons.

He's still an ordained minister, albeit retired. I think he has fears about coming out, but he has stated he'd like to believe there is an afterlife. I also think he doesn't want to admit, even to himself, that he is atheistic, because he cling to his human created god concept. Yes, he does have a god concept, which can be seen in his books and his videos, as well as youtube sermons.

If you had to be marooned on an island with a religious guy, Spong would be my pick.

If you had to be marooned on an island with a religious guy, Spong would be my pick.

I agree.

Guest Valk0010

The speech was good. But I'd like to know if Spong picked the images to go along with the video. Anyone know?

P

He didnt, the guy who put up the youtube vid piced the pictures and music.

I WISH MY LIBRARY HAD HIS BOOK. After watching this I really want to read "Why Christianity Must Change or Die". Meh, maybe I'll buy it. This was a great vid thanks for posting. I will definitely be referencing this the next time someone trys to tell me that atheists are the root of all evil in this world.

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing.

I'm also of the impression that Spong is probably a closeted nonbeliever.