Goodbye Jesus

How Do You Know You Haven't Been Duped?

seeboh

A lot of Christians say that God is beyond our comprehension and we know what we do about him is because he revealed himself to us.

If this is your view, then how do you know you haven't been duped? How do you know God isn't lying to you and evildoers get to heaven and people who lead good lives go to hell for all eternity?

Guest Valk0010

A lot of Christians say that God is beyond our comprehension and we know what we do about him is because he revealed himself to us.

If this is your view, then how do you know you haven't been duped? How do you know God isn't lying to you and evildoers get to heaven and people who lead good lives go to hell for all eternity?

I would also add to that, if god is beyond our comprehension, then how do we understand god at all. And god can be in our comprehension, then why is there any mystery.

It is not so much that I don't know, I don't believe it is possible to know for sure. It's more like I really don't care. If there is a god, he knows my heart and I am happy with what he sees. If there isn't, makes no difference anyway. Sitting my ass in church for 36 years turned me into a jibbering, neurotic mess of a person who most closely resembled one of those rats that runs endlessly on their wheel. I was tired of living my life in misery and listening to made up bullshit from ignorant, uneducated christians who wouldn't know what love was if it jumped up and bit their ass. I was the one being duped, and I got tired of it.

It is not so much that I don't know, I don't believe it is possible to know for sure. It's more like I really don't care. If there is a god, he knows my heart and I am happy with what he sees. If there isn't, makes no difference anyway. Sitting my ass in church for 36 years turned me into a jibbering, neurotic mess of a person who most closely resembled one of those rats that runs endlessly on their wheel. I was tired of living my life in misery and listening to made up bullshit from ignorant, uneducated christians who wouldn't know what love was if it jumped up and bit their ass. I was the one being duped, and I got tired of it.

Good to hear you're happier now :) And that you stopped being duped, always a plus.

I would also add to that, if god is beyond our comprehension, then how do we understand god at all. And god can be in our comprehension, then why is there any mystery.

The answer is probably that we don't fully understand god but we do understand what he has revealed to us. I think you're invoking a false dichotomy of we either fully understand god or we don't understand him at all. A particle physicist may not know that much about astronomy, but does that mean we should not go to him for advice on particle physics? This is the same in that we understand what god has revealed to us which is not all of what god is, so does that mean that we don't understand anything? No. I don't think taking it a step farther is legitimate. Am I forgetting something? Your thoughts?

If that's the case then fuck 'm.

Guest Valk0010

The answer is probably that we don't fully understand god but we do understand what he has revealed to us. I think you're invoking a false dichotomy of we either fully understand god or we don't understand him at all. A particle physicist may not know that much about astronomy, but does that mean we should not go to him for advice on particle physics? This is the same in that we understand what god has revealed to us which is not all of what god is, so does that mean that we don't understand anything? No. I don't think taking it a step farther is legitimate. Am I forgetting something? Your thoughts?

Sure I am just saying, if we don't have a brain to understand some of it, how can we actually (because are brain can't understand it) get anything at all. Its a bit like this, the finite is finite, the infinite is infinite, how can the finite grapples with certainty with the infinite.

Here is a quote saying similar, your thoughts on it.

VI.—RELIGION IS FOUNDED UPON CREDULITY.

We are told that Divine qualities are not of a nature to be grasped by limited minds. The natural consequence of this principle ought to be that the Divine qualities are not made to employ limited minds; but religion assures us that limited minds should never lose sight of this inconceivable being, whose qualities can not be grasped by them: from which we see that religion is the art of occupying limited minds with that which is impossible for them to comprehend.

VII.—EVERY RELIGION IS AN ABSURDITY.

Religion unites man with God or puts them in communication; but do you say that God is infinite? If God is infinite, no finite being can have communication or any relation with Him. Where there are no relations, there can be no union, no correspondence, no duties. If there are no duties between man and his God, there exists no religion for man. Thus by saying that God is infinite, you annihilate, from that moment, all religion for man, who is a finite being. The idea of infinity is for us in idea without model, without prototype, without object.

From http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17607/17607-h/17607-h.htm

Still think its a false dictionary. Your thoughts?

...ignorant, uneducated christians who wouldn't know what love was if it jumped up and bit their ass.

Isn't that exactly what christian "love" does, bites people in the arse?

;)

j/k. Carry on....

Interesting thought. Maybe the one who revealed himself to Christians is actually Satan who is actively deceiving them.

Lest anyone should read this and think I am serious and start worrying about it, the truth is that bible god has revealed himself to no one since he doesn't exist and neither has Satan since he also does not exist.

It would marginally make more sense to me if god were just planning to toss the entire human race into hell and only instituted faith as a bitterly ironic punishment for those who gave up their critical thinking and self respect to think a life spent kissing his ass would make up for starting wars, enslaving the poor and disowning their children.

That's a good point. Maybe the Devil wrote the Bible and is getting one Hell of a laugh over all this. There's no way to really prove that the Devil didn't write the thing...He's supposed to be the master of lies, after all. :scratch:

That's a good point. Maybe the Devil wrote the Bible and is getting one Hell of a laugh over all this. There's no way to really prove that the Devil didn't write the thing...He's supposed to be the master of lies, after all. :scratch:

A master of lies doesn't contradict himself as much as the Bible does. ;)

And yet something about that book has duped an absurd number of people into believing its contents are absolute truth. Gotta admit, even if it's contradicting itself every other line, that's still rather impressive. :HaHa:

And yet something about that book has duped an absurd number of people into believing its contents are absolute truth. Gotta admit, even if it's contradicting itself every other line, that's still rather impressive. :HaHa:

True. It just means that even lousy liars can dupe people. ;)

True. It just means that even lousy liars can dupe people. ;)

You know, I was rather happy thinking it was the Devil. I think my faith in humanity dropped a notch...Oh bother. :vent:

Sure I am just saying, if we don't have a brain to understand some of it, how can we actually (because are brain can't understand it) get anything at all. Its a bit like this, the finite is finite, the infinite is infinite, how can the finite grapples with certainty with the infinite.

Good point, after some thought I've changed my mind. I'd rather people deal with the question that I proposed though.

Still think its a false dictionary.

Dictionary? And no, I see the argument now.

If I ever have a discussion on this topic again I'll bring it up, thanks. As others have mentioned before on this thread, it's definitely more consistent with the sadistic god depicted in the Bible.