Goodbye Jesus

God Given Writers Block

par4dcourse

Old writing partner (Sam) gets in touch because he has a project, a possible locally made movie about Hope Stout, a local girl who died from cancer but made national news. Hope's last wish was that all the kids on the NC make-a-wish foundation got their wishes, all 155 of them.

Her parents wrote a book about her and the movie would possibly have some decent names involved. I got the book and jumped in.

Here's the problem (you knew there had to be one, didn't you): The book (and my former buddy, it seems) are decidedly religious. God did this and told us that and gave us signs and blah blah. They avoid the question as to why their god gave a 12 year old painful terminal cancer.

Now i'm taking nothing from this remarkable girl and her strength, generosity, and life lesson, but the unavoidable religious aspect of the book is nauseating.

I've written songs about many things, but I've always believed the message behind the story. After a valiant struggle, I've got lyrics that sound hollow to me, but Sam says are "right on track". I hate to give up but it's gotten to the point I dread working on it.

What sayeth thou? Cowboy up or head for the hills?

IMHO it just isn't worth it to work on something you hate. I vote "pass".

What sayeth thou? Cowboy up or head for the hills?

How badly do you need the dough? I've heard many a professional musician gripe about crap they had to work on to pay the bills, though usually it was the music itself as opposed to the content. I'd lean towards going through with it so that you can collect the $. It's not like there will be divine judgment for being untrue to thyself. You're (I presume) a working pro, not Kurt Cobain.

Some have already said it but I'll say it again. If you need the $$ or work I'd say go for it, but if you aren't feeling passionate about the job, it won't represent your best work. Or you can just be like Michelangelo, take the job but weave in subtle "fuck you's" throughout like the Sistine Chapel.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

You don't have to believe in the cause (though it sounds like a good cause) or content to do a paying job. Hell, I've done lots of work for the Church of Scientology; they pay well.

Bottom line - it's a job writing some smarmy shit. It's not like you have to build chemical weapons.

Go get 'em, cowboy.

• Like 1

haha. write the score and lyrics, win an oscar and give thanks to exC who nudges you to continue. and along the way make mega bucks

cheers

its a dirty job, but somebody still have to do it

• Like 1

just do it...if nothing else it's another credit with possible royalties

Thanks guys. I'm going to try again tomorrow, maybe a little more girl and a little less god. :sing:

• Like 1

Here's a page on the movie from before it "ran out of funding" before (2008).

Hope's Wish