Goodbye Jesus

Evolution And Churches

kol

I got the impression, by looking through the Internet, that in USA many christians say that the theory of evolution is wrong. It was surprise for me, because in my country, where 89 % of people are baptized in Catholic Church, belivers don't have problem with the evolution. Even, when I was in high school on a religion lesson a priest explained us that the description of the creation in the Bible is just a metaphor, and God didn't created the world in 7 days. Catholic Church says that there is not a contradiction between faith and evolution. And, I have never met a person who would claim that the evolution is a lie. Nobody says that the earth is in the centre of the Univers and nobody says that the univers is only 6 thousands years. So, my question is whether majority of belivers in USA don't think that evolution is true. Or maybe there are only small groups of some churches which claim it.

I got the impression, by looking through the Internet, that in USA many christians say that the theory of evolution is wrong. It was surprise for me, because in my country, where 89 % of people are baptized in Catholic Church, belivers don't have problem with the evolution. Even, when I was in high school on a religion lesson a priest explained us that the description of the creation in the Bible is just a metaphor, and God didn't created the world in 7 days. Catholic Church says that there is not a contradiction between faith and evolution. And, I have never met a person who would claim that the evolution is a lie. Nobody says that the earth is in the centre of the Univers and nobody says that the univers is only 6 thousands years. So, my question is whether majority of belivers in USA don't think that evolution is true. Or maybe there are only small groups of some churches which claim it.

I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's more than 40% of the American population that flat out deny evolution to be true and that the Earth is only 6,000 years old. What's even worse is that this group has a large representation in government. We have politicians who criticize evolution publicly on TV.

Here's an article about the latest Gallup poll on the subject. I'm almost ashamed to guide you to this, but here it is. The poll says that 44% of Americans believe that god created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years. :shrug:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/new-gallup-poll-america-still-creationist-surprise/

Yeah, the Catholic Church is more enlightened in this. But most American Xtians are protestants and many believers in the literal truth of the Bible.

Thanks for yours replies. :D

I'm almost ashamed to guide you to this, but here it is.

Don't be, each nation has own madnesses. In my country for example , people pay priest for a mass and they think that it helps their relatives in the purgatory.

But what these people think for example about neanderthal man who lived hundreds of thousands years ago?

Suzy, can I ask from which country of Eastern Europe you are?

But what these people think for example about neanderthal man who lived hundreds of thousands years ago?

They don't believe radiometric dating is true. Some claim that the speed of light has changed. Some believe neanderthals and all other previous hominids were deformed or very old humans from the pre-flood.

Suzy, can I ask from which country of Eastern Europe you are?

Hungary.

Thanks for yours replies. :D

Don't be, each nation has own madnesses. In my country for example , people pay priest for a mass and they think that it helps their relatives in the purgatory.

Hee, Indulgences! I didn't realize anybody still did this!

A lot of those people simply don't trust scientists. They think that scientists are just bitter atheists who make things up to try to prove the Bible wrong. The famous high-powered Christians (high-powered in the sense that they write a lot of books, do a lot of lectures, and a lot of people believe them) simply lie about how the scientific process works. They'll say, for example, that scientists claim to know how old a layer of earth is, by looking at the fossils in it, and then say they know how old a fossil is by looking at what layer of dirt it's in--circular reasoning. Some claim that Piltdown Man (a well-known fraud) is proof that scientists don't know what they're doing. Sometimes they'll use fake-science, like saying that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics disproves evolution (in a closed system, chaos will increase; they ignore that the Earth is not a closed system, and that order can increase in one local area, while chaos still increases over the whole system).

So, you've got a system here where the people who control a lot of opinions tell them that college professors and scientists are bitter, lying atheists who just want to destroy Christianity. Then the people who follow them don't care about education, because they think it's poisonous and will just attack their faith. End result, they don't know how to figure out who is lying to them, and they don't know how science works.

To answer the question for real, some claim that there really *aren't* any Neanderthal bones and the scientists are lying. Some say that those are just a few skeletons of people who had diseases, or that they're chimpanzee or gorilla bones and not human at all. Some claim that they're the bones of people who lived way back when people lived to be 800 years old.

Hungary.

Nice to hear it

Hee, Indulgences! I didn't realize anybody still did this!

So, this "buying" of masses isn't indulgence. It consists on paying a some amount of money to a priest and he will make a mass, during which he will praying for the benefits of somebody. Mostly, people pay for a dead persons but you can pay also for your health etc. So it's only a pray, but who wouldn't like to help their own relatives in the road to heaven.

There are also indulgences, but they are for free. If you are interested how to receive indulgence I propose read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence :yelrotflmao:

I made a few indulgences in my life. Don't envy :grin:

But these punishments for the sins, which were absolved me, are nothing in comparision with these, which wait on me for the sins, which I did from the period when I rejected the faith.

Ufortunately the biggest problem with the fundies in america is that they realized they could vote.

Before the 1970's the pentacostals and other evangelicals didn't even registar to vote because Jesus was coming back so it was pointless. Then Falwell, Roberts, the Bakers and other religious monkeys convinced them otherwise. Now they have control of the Southern bapist convention which controls many of the religious programs on TV and the Repulican party under their thumb.

My only hope is that the Tea party will split the respulicans into two distiinct groups. Havine representation more like British parliment where there are coalitions would be better then what we have now.

So to keep that power, they spout literal interpertation of selected passages from the bible as truth and anything else as junk. They have even created accreditated universities that teach this stuff...so from birth to death its possible to only hear the is 6k yrs old. God created man. Evolution is wrong...and a whole slew of other crap. Thus indoctinating the next generation to keep political power.

Others have covered a lot already, but I want to point out that it also hurts that education in the United States is seen more often as a means to career/business advancement than an end in itself. I'm not necessarily saying it's any better anywhere else; just that so many students here don't care enough about courses outside their chosen field (somewhat justifiably) to evaluate the knowledge and data presented in class thoroughly and honestly. That put together with the evangelical impetus to not believe evolution makes the theory unacceptable for many.

I had a friend about a month and a half ago, who was home-schooled through high school and hasn't yet attended university (which he might never attend), tell me after I briefly explained biological evolution and natural selection to him (in a larger conversation about my atheism) that it was the "stupidest thing" he's ever heard. He's simply ignorant because of his religious fundamentalism and poor level of education.