Goodbye Jesus

Agnostic In The Military

pk62281

I'm applying to dental school this year. I decided that corporate America is not good for me long term, so I'm taking the steps to get out now.

Anyways, dental school is very very expensive. Some schools are 70k a year not including living expenses. I'm single and flexibe, so I am seriously considering the military scholarship, which would pay for everything, give me a stipend, but I'd have to serve for 4 years after I graduate (total of 8 years in the military).

Do you think I'd feel like a fish out of water as an atheist in the military? It would be 8 years of my life that I'd be committing, and I really dont want to take out 300k of loans. That's terrifying.

The military certainly has good and bad points to it. While Christianity is sometimes pushed, it isn't really all that much different than the rest of society pushing it. Also consider it is generally a young population. In many ways it is like being surrounded with a bunch of people at college I'd imagine. People out on their own for the first time, raising hell and having fun. One thing to consider beyond the free schooling is that you also have a steady job, and as I understand, Doctors/Dentists in the military rack up experience faster than civilian counterparts. As a dentist you might still have to deploy but you would definitely be "in the rear with the gear".

I'm not military, but I live in a Military town. I have run a secular homeschool group here for many, many years. The majority of our members are military--and atheist.

I would google atheist+military and talk to atheists in the military to find out the real scoop before proceeding if you don't get enough response here. They may have repealed DADT but atheists in the military most likely still have to remain in the closet.