Goodbye Jesus

Arranged Marriages And Radio Preachers

Lawlbringer

Today I stumbled a preacher on a local radio station and for some reason I just listened to see what he was saying. It's funny after deconversion you start hearing messages differently.

Anyways he was preaching about how Abraham was sending a servant to look for a bride for Isaac etc. Then he went on to explain how arranged marriages worked back in ancient times and how they are still done in some countries.

He said even today arranged marriages last longer and have more sustainability than marriages that were not arranged. Well no shit. They were arranged in the first place.

If you initially don't have the freedom to pick your spouse to spend your lifetime with what makes you think you would have the freedom to leave said spouse. Seriously!? I had to change the channel immediately after he tried to tie this all in with Gods plan and whatnot. Nothing was mentioned about women rights and how we as a society has evolved while other societies continue to treat women as second class citizens. But hey it's in the bible and we all know it's gods word and his word is good. Give me a break!

I guess back in the day I would just drink the kool-aid and not think much of it.

What are some of your "what?!" moments after you heard a sermon and clarity struck you like lightning?

A few years back I spent a weekend with a close friend and his family who are all Southern Baptist, so of course they wanted to go to church that sunday morning. Out of respect (and feeling awkward about being the only one at their house while they were gone), I went with.

The preachaman was giving a sermon on the Matthew verses about building treasures in heaven, explaining of course how we should not idolize earthly currencies and instead strengthen our relationship with god to build heavenly treaures. I hadn't heard a sermon on these verses since I was in my old Christian Academy before my deconversion, and it dawned on me: so not only are they bribing us with wealth in the afterlife so that we're more subservient in this life, but then they pass around the collection plate afterward for us to give them the money they were just preaching about not placing importance on.

I'm pretty sure I let out an audible chuckle when that thought process went through my head.

I had an aha moment upon reading this passage.

John 8:12-19

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

Imagine being a pharisee in that situation. You challenge Jesus on his claims. He starts quoting your idea that two witnesses are required to establish a testimony as valid. Then, he goes on to cite himself, and his 'Father,' who they don't know... and would know if they knew him, apparently. To Christians this counts as unbeatable wisdom to shut up the critics. "Boo-ya! My name is Jesus! Watch me ignore your objections and apply your standards out of context! WEEE!! I WIN!"

And then there's this gem..

John 1:47-49

Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

Even Jesus thought this was a retarded way of coming to conclusions.

John 1:50a

Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou?

Then he proceeded to sell him beach front property in Kansas...

John 1:50b, 51

Thou shalt see greater things than these. And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Fucking ridiculous!

Yeah the "greater than these" miracles seem to be ironically absent seeing there are 1Bn of these beleevurs. Shit, we should be inundated with news of miracles but they all seem to happen in remote Nigerian villages or somewhere on the plains of India where no reporter would bother going to.

Odd that in the USA where the media plays such a huge role in the life of the average American, (my remote observations) this gawd and his followers do not seem to be able to perform any miracles like healing the sick (we'll let him off the hook for amputees science is busy working on that one). I mean Peter's shadow healed a lepper, WTF is wrong with you American xians? Is your gawd's inherited powers camera shy?

I guess gawd had no contingency plans for YouTube :grin:

With soo many Americans filled with the holy spook, deemuns should be manifesting in heathen like us in Walmarts and the like just by your mere presence.

Does it happen?

Why not?

Oh I forgot, the holy spook is a gentleman and will not force anythiing on anyone, we must exercise our free will and choose.

Phuck and to think I believed this shit :lmao:

If I remember correctly, the actual statistics for divorce among arranged marriages is the same as those who choose their own mates.