Goodbye Jesus

Time As A Concept.

Guest Valk0010

In regards to the original poster (since I really don't want to read four pages of lengthy discourse): I honestly think time is a man-made concept used to predict the occurrence of sequential events. Nothing more, nothing less. Your mileage may vary.

I suspect that time is complex, meaning among other things that time will accomodate multiple models. And I don't believe I understand it very well. A friend showed me this once though. It is a categorical re-write of the changing velocity of a free falling mass.

gt: vi ---> v

In words: gravity (g) acting over time (t) implies that an initial velocity (vi) gives rise to a new velocity (v) .

We can inquire into this categorical map as Aristotle might and ask "why v?" and we are provided with two answers, "because vi" which corresponds to the material cause of v, and "because gt" which corresponds to the efficient cause of v. We can see here then that time is part of an efficient cause.

Just throwing some ideas out. :shrug:

Time exists because humans measure it for their own purposes. We 'tell time' by watching the sun move across the sky and our skin wrinkle and pectorals become man-boobs. Time as we know it did not exist prior to the event that lead to the creation of the universe. All matter was created. Light came from darkness. We measure time with light. But doesn't darkness also have time? If a particle moves in darkness isn't that a time event? It travels so it should have a distance and time to travel. What could have been prior to the big bang (BB) was a universe sparsely populated with weirdo particles and for some reason, one of them went KABLOOY and puked its guts out, creating the universe and giving us matter and eventually light. I try to imagine what gives us cohesiveness? We have atoms but what tells the atom to behave in such a way that we keep our shapes? Why does the toilet remain a toilet and not dissolve? Why does my wedding band remain on my finger? What element, for lack of a better word, is responsible for maintaining order? How does my DNA or atoms know to behave the way they do? What force is at work? I don't find god in this because if the molecules of the universe, including those that comprise us, behave the way they do then there is a natural law that guides this.

I think that what gives us cohesiveness and cause everything to behave as it does is do to what scientists call 'dark energy.' One of the basic laws of nature involves opposing but equal force. Dark force would be the opposing and equal force for the energy that gives us cohesiveness and also allows light, electrons to behave as they should.