Goodbye Jesus

Commonly Used Phrases With Biblical Origins

BigVaden

After I saw this thread, I got curious about how many phrases we use on a regular basis that might have a religious background. I probably won't use them any less now that I know, but at least I'll know...... and knowledge is power!, lol.

I was suprised how many there were. I listed some of the more common ones here. Check this page out for a more complete list.

1) "No rest for the wicked": Originally it was "no peace for the wicked", in reference to the sinners facing eternal damnation.

Isaiah 57:20 - But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.

2) "Skin of your teeth": One everybody has used at some point. Means that you just barely made it (obvious).

Job 19:20 - My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.

3) "The writing is on the wall: Metaphor for imminent demise or doom being foretold.

Daniel 5:5-6 - In the same hour came forth fingers of a man's hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote. / Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another.

4) "Bite the dust": Aside from a classic rock song from one of the greatest bands of all time, it also refers to something/someone's demise.

Psalm 72:5 - They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust.

5) "A Broken Heart": Suffering from emotional anguish of some sort.

Psalms 34:18 - The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

6) "A Drop in the Bucket": A small fraction of the whole.

Isaiah 40:15 - Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.

There is nothing new under the sun

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 1:9)