Goodbye Jesus

Two tablets Four Sides Ten Commandments

Clergicide

Ex.24:12 Says Moses I'm going to give two stone tablets with the law and commandments.

Ex.32:15 Says the tablets were written on both front and back

Lv.27:34 Says these are the commandments God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai

It's my position that the two tablets contain the 10 great commandments, as well as the entire book of Leviticus. Leviticus, in multiple places, says plainly that these are the commandments that God gave to Moses on the mountain.

Now, I've come across a passage many times that says cleary 'the 10 are written on one part of one tablet, and the rest of the tablets contain the other statutes and laws'. But I can't find it now. If anyone knows of this passage please post it, I've been searching for hours, and I'd rather not read all of books 2-5 again just to find it.

Trashy pointed out that:

Ex.24:12 God says I have written this law and commandments

Ex.34:1 God says I will transcribe everything on the first set

Ex.34:27-28 God tells Moses to write the 10 commandments on the tablets.

If God wrote commandments on the tablets, and Moses wrote the 10 commandments on the tablets, then wouldn't the claim that Leviticus is also on the tablets be true?

My revised argument:

It seems that Ex [19:20] through Ex [20:17] aren't part of the original narrative, it was just kind of plopped in there.

19:16 On the morning of the third day there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast, so that all the people who were in the camp trembled. 17 Then Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet God; and they took their stand at the foot of the mountain. 18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. 19 And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice

20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.

We can see clearly how neatly these mesh. The reason for this revision is besides the point at this juncture. What I wish to examine is that without this addition to the account, we are suddenly without our first reference to the 10 Words.

This is significant where God is establishing the covenant in this chapter, saying "Obey my voice and keep my covenant". Without the additional scripture, the covenant that Moses goes up the mountain to receive becomes all the laws from [20:22]-[23:33]. The laws that God speaks to Moses about are laws of the altar, slaves, homicide, injury, theft of animals, offenses demanding compensation, violation of a virgin, moral and religious laws, first-borns etc. In short a bunch of the laws the Judeo-Christian religions actively try to forget about today.

24:3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do. 4 And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD. 6 And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. 7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do , and be obedient. 8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

So here [24:3-7] it is reiterated from [19:5] "ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant". All the words that God has spoken are the covenant, or the law, that the people are to obey. Those words thus far encompass everything from [20:22]-[23:33]. Moses himself is logging all of these commands in his book of the law, probably as he has done since the beginning and will continue to do so through Deuteronomy.

However, [24:12] says that God has handwritten the law and commandments on two tablets of stone for Moses to come an collect. They are also to be used for the instruction of Israel.

Then it goes on to the construction of the Sanctuary from [25:10]-[31:17] and finally at [31:18] Moses is given the Testimony, the two tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God. And yet..no 10 Commandments. They appear nowhere in the account. Everything God has spoken and commanded are His covenant..they are His Testimony.

[32:15-16] This is the next mention of the tablets. A description saying the Testimony is inscribed on both side, both front and back with the writing of God.

[32:19] Moses has a tantrum and breaks the tablets. He’d just got done marveling at them for what they were, two stone slabs with God’s own handwriting on both sides, instructions for him and his people to carry with them where ever God lead them. Something God has never done again(except that one time) in all these millennia. Somehow, I don’t buy it. The one human in the world that has earned God’s favor by following him obediently, in a random act of frustration, destroys the miracle of God’s written law. Maybe because Moses had seen so many miracles he was desensitized, so it was no big deal to hurl them at the ground with enough force to break them. But I digress...

[33:7] First mention of the Tent of Meeting which will become important later. Though [33:11] says Moses speaks to God face to face here, which we've already learned is impossible, this is reiterrated not 3 lines later. I'll let that slide for now.

[34:1] God tells Moses to cut the tablets himself this time, and promises to write on them everything he wrote on the first set. We've already established the 10 Words are absent from the narrative up until now. His Testimony is the commandments and laws we've already gone over. That's what He's planning write again.

[34:27-28]God tells Moses to inscribe the 10 Words on the tablets. A very odd 10 Words.

[34:29] Moses comes off the mountain with the two tablets of the Testimony

[34:32] And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.

All the things the Lord had spoken with Moses about in Sinai are the Testimony, or all the commands, the laws which we've already discussed. And Moses gave all of these to the people of Isreal as 'commandments'. Just as he was told to way back in [24:12]

There's more I want to address with the Tent..but I'll work on it later.

edit:

[34:14-26] On closer examination I actually count 11 statements:

I. 14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: 15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice; 16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

II. 17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

III. 18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

IV. 19 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male. 20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

V. 21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

VI. 22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

VII. 23 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel.

VIII. 24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

IX. 25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

X. 26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

XI. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

This is what God told Moses to inscribe on the tablets..guess Moses had a blind-spot for 10's.