Goodbye Jesus

Previous Ministers On The Forum

freespirit

Any previous ministers on the forum?

yes there are a bunch. not me, some will see this and respond.

some don't like to bring it up.

yes there are a bunch. not me, some will see this and respond.

some don't like to bring it up.

I understand. It's not an easy subject. However, I am curious. Sometimes it can be like putting a big target on your head. However, I would like to know for myself.

• Super Moderator

Also, there are several ex-clergy (pastors, preachers, ministers, monks, and nuns) who post regularly on the main blog.

I'm not a minister, but my dad was, and I preached quite a few times in the church and overseas.

I deal with a lot of guilt for misleading so many, especially those that were emotionally vulnerable, like the poor and hungry just looking for some hope. I need therapy...:/

I just became a preacher when I deconverted. I had probably preached about a dozen to two dozen times before I finally left Christianity. I wasn't a pastor or anything like that but I was eying out the position. The last sermon I gave was when I had basically became an atheist. I still didn't admit it to myself but the whole time I preached I was absolutely disgusted with myself. I'm glad I won't have to do that again.

I'm not a minister, but my dad was, and I preached quite a few times in the church and overseas.

I deal with a lot of guilt for misleading so many, especially those that were emotionally vulnerable, like the poor and hungry just looking for some hope. I need therapy...:/

Sorry you feel guilty. I preached and co-pastored with my husband (who was the pastor). I don't feel much guilt because I really and truly believed in what I was doing at the time. Do I wish things had been different? Sure! But, you do your best and then move on, ya know?

I just became a preacher when I deconverted. I had probably preached about a dozen to two dozen times before I finally left Christianity. I wasn't a pastor or anything like that but I was eying out the position. The last sermon I gave was when I had basically became an atheist. I still didn't admit it to myself but the whole time I preached I was absolutely disgusted with myself. I'm glad I won't have to do that again.

I'm having a hard time following what you are saying. You were disgusted because you did not believe it when you preached it?

Never was a preacher. Substitute Sunday school teacher and a/v coordinator. My grand dad was a baptist minister, and the rest of the family thought I was the next one in line. Luckily I came to my senses

Yep, left the ministry. I spent a lot of time reading about Christian history, I was studying theology, had a Dr. Christian ministry, was a past Bishop, and finally couldn't stand to teach it any more. The whole concept just got too much too believe. It wasn't just one thing that lead to my deconversion, it was a whole life experience that lead to it.

Ministers wreck a lot of lives just because of sexual preferences. Not much acceptance in the Christian church. Ministers should feel guilty, they teach mythology and rationalization for when it is acceptable to murder innocent people who simply do not believe in the gospel. It is the indoctrination of fascism. I mixes politics and religion and tries to be the moral authority for the world.

I'm having a hard time following what you are saying. You were disgusted because you did not believe it when you preached it?

I was disgusted with my hypocrisy. I was preaching something I didn't believe whatsoever.

I was not a minister but I was ordained. I was a member of an independent charismatic church with a "word of faith" bent, although I myself was in many ways repelled by the word of faith crap even then. My wife (now ex-wife) loved the church though, so I lived with it.

Back in 1985, a preacher from the U.S. who started a small bible college and a church in Cornwall, England, visited our church a couple of times, and on one visit he mentioned to my pastor that he needed another teacher for his bible college. The pastor knew I was rabid for the bible and was a good teacher so he recommended me. After hearing me teach, the preacher eagerly agreed, and I was promptly ordained, presumably for the purpose of giving me an appearance of credibility, since I had never been to seminary and had no real credentials. I taught in the bible college for one year, which, at the time, I absolutely loved. The college was small and on a shoestring budget, so I was supported financially by my church rather than the college. After the year was over my pastor and the preacher from England had a falling out, and my pastor decided that the church would no longer finance my teaching in England. So that was the end of that.

Interestingly, a few years later I got a call from a former student of mine at the college. She informed me that the college and church had closed it's doors. When I inquired as to the reason, she told me that the preacher (of whom I spoke, and who was married by the way) had been exposed as a homosexual, or at least a bisexual. Apparently, the whole time that I was teaching there as well as for several years before and after, the preacher had been having a homosexual relationship the the vice-president of the college. It became exposed when, for reasons I still am not sure of, the college vice-president came out publicly with the hidden life he had been living (along with, of course, the president of the college). The scandal tore the church and college apart. The preacher ended up having to sell his properties in England, moved back to the U.S., and that's the last I ever heard of him - until I saw his obituary online just a few days ago. After reading the obituary I discovered that he continued preaching in a number of churches in Michigan, and eventually started another church in Bay City. I'm sure those Michigan folks had no idea about his history.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with homosexuality. I do have a problem with any religion that condemns it though. The fact that he was homosexual doesn't bother me a bit. But then, I'm not a fundamentalist christian anymore. The fact that it tore the church and college apart isn't surprising given their belief system.

So I guess it just goes to show that, yes, even in ultra-conservative, tongue-talking, name-it-and-claim-it, "healed in Jesus' name" places like that, homosexuality happens.

Still, although I left the church and became soured on christianity, I still look back at that one year with fondness. I wish I could have continued teaching because I loved it so much. But it's for the best, since doubts concerning the christian faith eventually overpowered me and I had to let it go.

No regrets.

It seems to me that the preachers who are the most vocal about "the gays" are often a case of the lady doth protest too much.

just my impression tho, not based on fact.

Yep, left the ministry. I spent a lot of time reading about Christian history, I was studying theology, had a Dr. Christian ministry, was a past Bishop, and finally couldn't stand to teach it any more. The whole concept just got too much too believe. It wasn't just one thing that lead to my deconversion, it was a whole life experience that lead to it.

I never knew this HZ

Not a pastor myself, but my testimonial supports the fact it was on both sides of the family. I doubt any of them would every admit to any doubts about the bible or their faith.

I sometimes do wish I could smack them with the 2x4 of reason and make them see...but alas it's not to be.

I never knew this HZ

I was enrolled at Trinity Seminary School, I dropped out. Then, I got fired as Bishop, of a smarmy-assed ministry, cuz I wouldn't preach the law of the land as the word of god, that being not preaching against the sins of marijuana and breaking those laws--you've probably heard how the ten commandments are such a good influence on our laws? The ministry that ran that gem had 'preachers' that were also law enforcement officers. You cannot confess your sins to a law enforcement officer without being arrested as they are obligated to uphold the law no matter how shitty it is. I said, 'no,' and they said 'you're fired.' That actually turned out to be a good thing cuz my prophecy to them came true that states don't really give a crap because one has the right to protest laws citizens believe to be unfair or too harsh in punishment. We have that right to take it all the way to the President to repeal laws and we have the right to assembly to gripe and complain about these laws. When I tried to argue the Constitution vs the smarmy ministry, that's when I gets fired. Probably the fastest hiring and firing of a bishop. I think I was bishop for about two weeks. I understand they have a whole slug of things their preachers can't do now cuz of ME! Yay!

LOL Our county should be in the crosshairs of a lawsuit. The chief jailer at the county jail has plastered bible versus all over the jail. Fucking unbelievable

LOL Our county should be in the crosshairs of a lawsuit. The chief jailer at the county jail has plastered bible versus all over the jail. Fucking unbelievable

Cruel and unusual punishment.

I was disgusted with my hypocrisy. I was preaching something I didn't believe whatsoever.

Oh. Yeah, well that is pretty disgusting. wink.gif I can at least say I believe what I preached when I preached it. I am really glad not to be in the ministry anymore. My husband feels the same way. Once upon a time, I never thought I would feel like that.

Yes, I can relate.

I was not a minister but I was ordained. I was a member of an independent charismatic church with a "word of faith" bent, although I myself was in many ways repelled by the word of faith crap even then. My wife (now ex-wife) loved the church though, so I lived with it.

Back in 1985, a preacher from the U.S. who started a small bible college and a church in Cornwall, England, visited our church a couple of times, and on one visit he mentioned to my pastor that he needed another teacher for his bible college. The pastor knew I was rabid for the bible and was a good teacher so he recommended me. After hearing me teach, the preacher eagerly agreed, and I was promptly ordained, presumably for the purpose of giving me an appearance of credibility, since I had never been to seminary and had no real credentials. I taught in the bible college for one year, which, at the time, I absolutely loved. The college was small and on a shoestring budget, so I was supported financially by my church rather than the college. After the year was over my pastor and the preacher from England had a falling out, and my pastor decided that the church would no longer finance my teaching in England. So that was the end of that.

Interestingly, a few years later I got a call from a former student of mine at the college. She informed me that the college and church had closed it's doors. When I inquired as to the reason, she told me that the preacher (of whom I spoke, and who was married by the way) had been exposed as a homosexual, or at least a bisexual. Apparently, the whole time that I was teaching there as well as for several years before and after, the preacher had been having a homosexual relationship the the vice-president of the college. It became exposed when, for reasons I still am not sure of, the college vice-president came out publicly with the hidden life he had been living (along with, of course, the president of the college). The scandal tore the church and college apart. The preacher ended up having to sell his properties in England, moved back to the U.S., and that's the last I ever heard of him - until I saw his obituary online just a few days ago. After reading the obituary I discovered that he continued preaching in a number of churches in Michigan, and eventually started another church in Bay City. I'm sure those Michigan folks had no idea about his history.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with homosexuality. I do have a problem with any religion that condemns it though. The fact that he was homosexual doesn't bother me a bit. But then, I'm not a fundamentalist christian anymore. The fact that it tore the church and college apart isn't surprising given their belief system.

So I guess it just goes to show that, yes, even in ultra-conservative, tongue-talking, name-it-and-claim-it, "healed in Jesus' name" places like that, homosexuality happens.

Still, although I left the church and became soured on christianity, I still look back at that one year with fondness. I wish I could have continued teaching because I loved it so much. But it's for the best, since doubts concerning the christian faith eventually overpowered me and I had to let it go.

No regrets.

Hello! Funny that you were ordained but were never a preacher! I've never heard that one before! Yes, I have heard so many scandalous stories like that, it isn't even funny. They are a dime a dozen it seems.

There are things I miss too, but over all, it's better to be out.

It seems to me that the preachers who are the most vocal about "the gays" are often a case of the lady doth protest too much.

Often the smeller is the feller.

I never knew this HZ

I get a kick out of your avatar, Kyle...laugh.gif

Often the smeller is the feller.

"He who smelt it delt it."