Goodbye Jesus

My Christian Parents Seem Offended Because I Don't Want A Car Right Now

Guest Yakuza

My parents bring up "my car" in naggy, silly ways. But I've been happily car-free for over a year.

My mom took "her car" back over a dispute over who I was living with. Mature, right? Ended up being the best thing to happen to me.

Lots of weird shit happens to cars here in NOLA. Street flooding. Jazz Fest. Random break-ins. Stupid high insurance rates. At this point, I don't need that shit.

99% of the time, I can count on public transport, and as Phanta said, it puts you in touch with the pulse of the city. You also see awesome things you wouldn't otherwise if you were speeding by in a car.

I agree that the car thing is more status than religious, or even concern over you. I try to tell my parents I'm happy without a car, REALLY! But they seem to think I'm missing out. On what, going to fucking Metarie, which I could get to by bus if I wanted (but why would I want to??)?

Also, lots of people in NOLA don't have cars. I do happen to have a great neighbor with a work truck, so if there's an emergency, I could get him to drive me. And there are taxis. I don't feel "left out" by not having a car.