Goodbye Jesus

Read The Bible In Context

pratt

I had not actually flipped a bible for more than 10 years, and since last year I was following an atheist on a 1 year bible reading in his blog/journal (completed). That guy was reading the bible in the modern context and making comments on the talking serpent, talking ass, the genocides and such as a non-christian would when 1st read of bible. I too was taking jabs every now and then.

Then came a christian, telling him not to mock the bible, either to read in context with the guidance of the holy spirit or stop reading. So i told the blogger (in jest) to

1. study greek (for NT) and NOT modern greek

2. study hebrew (for OT) or aramic language

3. get a degree for history of middle east

4. get a degree for anthropology

5. get a degree for biology

6. do archeology, read the dead sea scrolls

7. get astrology degree,physics etc

and maybe get a time machine and see if jesus exists and what actually he said.

I don't know how can a regular person can "correctly" interpret the bible in the correct context.

also how did the bible came about, what was the context?

Studying gematria and kabbalism might help, too.

When I was questioning the whole bible - I went to see a minister that had once been a fundamentalist. He had a nervous breakdown and landed in a mental ward. He was once a prominent, high class preacher.He knew all the big guys! When he recovered -he started to preach a message on 'inclusion', that Jesus died to save everyone. We were told in the Church that if you even went to meet this man - you would not be welcome back into the Church. Well - I went anyway. He was wonderful. He also told me that he did a study and that the statistics of mental patients around the world professed to be 'born again' Christians at one time. I had several visits with him and phone calls right from my house to talk to him in the last 5 years. He still preaches Jesus, but his message is, that 'all are saved'.i suspect some day - he will get right out.

I asked him how to 'take' (read) the bible? He told me that you would take one book at a time and read the whole story (not pick scriptures) then look at who the author was writing to and what the story was about, He said to look at the dates and times in which the books were written. He never used one scripture alone. For instance: When you read the book of Galatians, Paul was talking to the 'Galatians' Church AT THAT TIME. Paul was not talking to us in 2011! Paul started this letter with - 'Oh foolish Galatians - who has' ........................Not 'oh foolish people of 2011'.........

His website: http://www.gospelrevolution.com/

I asked him how to 'take' (read) the bible? He told me that you would take one book at a time and read the whole story (not pick scriptures) then look at who the author was writing to and what the story was about, He said to look at the dates and times in which the books were written. He never used one scripture alone. For instance: When you read the book of Galatians, Paul was talking to the 'Galatians' Church AT THAT TIME. Paul was not talking to us in 2011! Paul started this letter with - 'Oh foolish Galatians - who has' ........................Not 'oh foolish people of 2011'.........

While I tend to agree with some of this I do have to ask: Who wrote books like Genesis? When were they written? Who were their audience?

mwc