Goodbye Jesus

Why is Praying Necessary?

Dianka

Of course you have read Job,

So that is an example I suppose, things turned out well for Job in the end though, as it will for all peoples who have ever lived.

If you're selfish then Job is an extremely good source to quote from. The theme is along the lines of "As long as things work out good for me then things are good for everyone."

You talk of punishment all of the time, the God I experienced would seek to overwhelm your senses with love of a father welcoming home the prodigal son.

With all the devestating natural disasters recently I keep hearing how this is somehow "god" working on us. Not necessarily judging (although I have heard that) but "reminding" us of his power. Why doesn't "god" instead of sending devestation on tens or hundreds of thousands of people send something wonderful and awe inspiring? I'll even give xians Jesus for this argument but for each "devestation" I want to see an equally obvious and instense "loving." The bible is full of huge acts of devestation but the "loving" acts are few and reserved for the smallest of minorities (especially when compared to the devestation). Even the "ultimate" expression of "love," jesus, is revealed in the bible to be for a small minority while the devestation will be experienced by the overwhelming majority (since the bible says so it is god's will and nothing can change that biblical reality).

mwc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MQTA

• Xthebuilder

• Ouroboros

• mwc

Satan has only power that is given to him from above, on his own Satan can do nothing.

As to questioning as to why this is so.

If you truly believe in God, then you know Satan is given power only to suit Gods purpose not mans.

If you do not believe in God, why do you speak of contradiction when there is none for you.

Peace

You can't see that it was questions such as this that led to the disbelief in the first place?

I've resolved most of them to my own satisfaction, and I am not an avowed atheist, but I am not a believer in the god of the bible either.

Well, that's not quite right. I do not believe in a creator god that caused all to come to be. If there is an afterlife, I think we would pretty much be on our own there. I'm not even sure of "afterlife"..some days yes, some days no. Of course, its not something any of us can be 100% sure of until we get there..or not. :shrug:

You talk of punishment all of the time, the God I experienced would seek to overwhelm your senses with love of a father welcoming home the prodigal son.

Peace

Sounds so good! But if the Bible is really right, it's gotta feel kind of unsettling that while your dad is showing you love and affection, he is also a mass murderer of countless billions of people, whom he created only to send to eternal fires of endless torture, soley for the sake of his own glory? I don't know Razor, it kind of fucks with your head, doesn't it?

Yeah, he's that full of love he DROWNED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!

Note that he drowned it because of sin, something that was HIS FAULT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

It would be real nice seeing Razor actually addressing this point and trying to answer to it... naw, at least *think* about it if he's capable of such a feat, and then tell us his conclusions instead of yapping about god's masterplan.

Razor, where's the love in drowning the whole human race and the overwhelming majority of all animals too, just because humans were sinners, IF:

1) God itself created sin, so hadn't he created sin, there wouldn't have been the need of inflicting such a horrifying, painful death to the whole world populace (death followed by endless torture in hell, since they were sinners and none were saved, apart from noah's family, right?).

2) Why drowning so many animals too? Couldn't god sent at least on the earth a plague that only hitted human sinners? Animals don't sin. They have been exterminated to, by the billions... naw, gazillions.

Where is the love, then?

Please, can you address these two points (which are in fact just a reprise from crazy tiger's main point) without recurring to bible quoting, but instead using your head to reason on it and find some answers that could make sense even for people not believing in your god, or believing in another god?

Razor, where's the love in drowning the whole human race and the overwhelming majority of all animals too, just because humans were sinners,

I don't how you could also accomodate for unborn fetuses and babies. I mean how can you claim that would sin since they are not capable of making decision. That abortion at the mass level.

I don't how you could also accomodate for unborn fetuses and babies. I mean how can you claim that would sin since they are not capable of making decision. That abortion at the mass level.

Surely not... Isn't God against abortion?

Besides, we know the answer already... they had a "sin nature" so were guilty of sinning just by existing. :ugh:

God is Pro-abortion. After all, he kills unborns all the time, and has instructed his followers to rip open pregnant mothers bellies with swords.

to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

Why is praying neccesarry? I would like to have us look at prayer in a different context........communication, worship, thanksgiving.......it seems to me that everyone goes to God when everything is bad, heal me, give me money, bless me...............

Is it prayer or just whining at that point..............Prayer is communication with God, it is our time to tell Him how much we love Him, how happy we are for what we have...........

I picture it like a kid and his parents, if the only time junior comes and talks to mom and dad is when he wants something, money, new video game , us ethe car, whatever, as a parent wouldn't you get to the point where you know all this kid wants is stuff. Why doesn't he ever come tell me what a great dad I am, why doesn't he thank me for the things he has........

prayer is lik ethat, if the only time you go to God is when you have a problem, is that the whole basis of your relationship with God....

its a give me relationship then........God give me this give me that, save me bless me, heal me

Thats not a relationship, thats not what God desires, thats a mentality that man has...............

All the interesting chit chat aside Surly, I am sorry for your Dad's passing and your loss.

No simple words can make up for that loss, save to say that I've lost both my parents fairly young, know what it is like.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>hugs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

kevinL

to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

Why is praying neccesarry? I would like to have us look at prayer in a different context........communication, worship, thanksgiving.......it seems to me that everyone goes to God when everything is bad, heal me, give me money, bless me...............

Is it prayer or just whining at that point..............Prayer is communication with God, it is our time to tell Him how much we love Him, how happy we are for what we have...........

I picture it like a kid and his parents, if the only time junior comes and talks to mom and dad is when he wants something, money, new video game , us ethe car, whatever, as a parent wouldn't you get to the point where you know all this kid wants is stuff. Why doesn't he ever come tell me what a great dad I am, why doesn't he thank me for the things he has........

prayer is lik ethat, if the only time you go to God is when you have a problem, is that the whole basis of your relationship with God....

its a give me relationship then........God give me this give me that, save me bless me, heal me

Thats not a relationship, thats not what God desires, thats a mentality that man has...............

X..

Catch a clue.. Nobody here gives a flaming rats ass what *prayer is like*.

I liken it to masturbation: done alone, usually by yourself, and if done correctly makes one feel really good when done.

Simply put, I don't want to know about how you stroke off, physically or mentally.

Go thee and feel good, but don't tell me about it in a public forum..

kevin, the Board Anusoidial, L

Good parents are happy to get appreciation every now and then. Good parents don't demand that appreciation. Good parents are around when you need them.

Good parents don't shower anguish upon their children so that their children will call out to them when they don't show appreciation at any other time.

Good parents... are real.

All the interesting chit chat aside Surly, I am sorry for your Dad's passing and your loss.

No simple words can make up for that loss, save to say that I've lost both my parents fairly young, know what it is like.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>hugs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

kevinL

Oh goodness, Niv.

I hate telling you this, but it's not my dad. It's my friends that died.

If it makes you feel better, I don't talk to my dad anymore.

I will still take the hug though, I need it.

(((((thanks))))))

Satan has only power that is given to him from above, on his own Satan can do nothing.

As to questioning as to why this is so.

If you truly believe in God, then you know Satan is given power only to suit Gods purpose not mans.

If you do not believe in God, why do you speak of contradiction when there is none for you.

Peace

So, there's besically no Good or Evil. Just Neutral, as God works both ways. Isn't that rather....pagan?

Assigning an attribute like "desire" to god is also a mentality that man has. God cannot desire.

mwc

X..

Catch a clue.. Nobody here gives a flaming rats ass what *prayer is like*.

I liken it to masturbation: done alone, usually by yourself, and if done correctly makes one feel really good when done.

Simply put, I don't want to know about how you stroke off, physically or mentally.

Go thee and feel good, but don't tell me about it in a public forum..

kevin, the Board Anusoidial, L

Kevin,

i see how you, not just you, but nonbelievers or exchristians can trap believers into defending something that they know little about. If all you do is look at prayer to get things, then I guess God does not answer prayers. Does it changethe fact that prayer is not ebay or some magic phone line for health restoration? Nope not one bit.........prayer is communication with God, and communication is not all one sided.....

So as far as your personal masterbation habits, or my prayer life, I do not think they over lap at all.

So as far as your personal masterbation habits, or my prayer life, I do not think they over lap at all.

Sure, you can even do both at the same time.

Is it just me, or does it sound like you're implying that you don't do that nasty, dirty thing yourself?

I agree though that prayer is very much a self-gratifying act. Ever been to a Pentecostal church and witness them rocking and back and forth rhythmically, over and over, until they start spewing forth in ecstatic babbling tongues: "gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee, chee me oh ma hi ki, chee me oh ma hi ki, gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee?" I swear, that is surely sexual don't you think? Or are they not True Christians?

Is it just me, or does it sound like you're implying that you don't do that nasty, dirty thing yourself?

I agree though that prayer is very much a self-gratifying act.  Ever been to a Pentecostal church and witness them rocking and back and forth rhythmically, over and over, until they start spewing forth in ecstatic babbling tongues: "gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee, chee me oh ma hi ki, chee me oh ma hi ki, gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee?"  I swear, that is surely sexual don't you think?  Or are they not True Christians?

I have never, for the life of me, understood how people can listen to that "speaking in tongues" drivel without realizing that it's equal parts babbling gibberish and self-indulgent "interpretation". :shrug:

If all you do is look at prayer to get things, then I guess God does not answer prayers. Does it changethe fact that prayer is not ebay or some magic phone line for health restoration? Nope not one bit.........prayer is communication with God, and communication is not all one sided.....

So you admit that god does not answer prayers.

Let me ask you this. If you called up a stranger, but got nothing on the other line, no indication than that person existed, just silence, wouldn't you say that was a rather one-sided conversation? I would. In fact, I'd hang up after a certain amount of time.

I agree though that prayer is very much a self-gratifying act.  Ever been to a Pentecostal church and witness them rocking and back and forth rhythmically, over and over, until they start spewing forth in ecstatic babbling tongues: "gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee, chee me oh ma hi ki, chee me oh ma hi ki, gibida gibida gibida chee, gibida gibida gibida chee?"  I swear, that is surely sexual don't you think?  Or are they not True Christians?

I struggle with masterbation the same as all men, and women, do i make a habit of it, nope, i am lucky that i am married, and to a great woman, and all in all our sex life is pretty good...........

Wrong guy to ask about the "gift of tounges" I believe whole heartidly that God annoints people through the Holy Spirit, I also believe that there are two forms of tounges, one of prophecy as in both the OT and NT, and one of spiritual edification.....The gift of tounges is an outward sign of baptism of the Holy Spirit, it is also the sign used for Christians to go and spread the gospel..........whole new convo though

So you admit that god does not answer prayers.

Let me ask you this.  If you called up a stranger, but got nothing on the other line, no indication than that person existed, just silence, wouldn't you say that was a rather one-sided conversation?  I would.  In fact, I'd hang up after a certain amount of time.

I admit that God answers prayers, I believe that miracles, signs and wonders still occour today as they have since the beginning of time.do I believe that if all we do is go to God in times of need are those prayers answered.....I think no, my belief, but prayer is more than asking for things.........

Now on the next point, who says the conversation is one sided?

I admit that God answers prayers, I believe that miracles, signs and wonders still occour today as they have since the beginning of time.do I believe that if all we do is go to God in times of need are those prayers answered.....I think no, my belief, but prayer is more than asking for things.........

Then you are brainwashed.

Now on the next point, who says the conversation is one sided?

When you talk and nobody responds, it's one sided. This is what prayer is. Nobody responds because there is nobody to respond, at least not Biblegod.

I struggle with masterbation the same as all men, and women, do i make  a habit of it, nope, i am lucky that i am married, and to a great woman, and all in all our sex life is pretty good...........

What's the struggle? It's quite easy to do. He goes up, you play with him. No struggle at all.

When you talk and nobody responds, it's one sided.  This is what prayer is.  Nobody responds because there is nobody to respond, at least not Biblegod.

But you, Xthebuilder, can show us the error of our ways. You can show us, right here, right NOW! That God in fact answers you. That your praying isn't just monologuing and psychological masturbation (that's where Nivek was going with his phrases, if you didn't catch it).

You can show us that God does exist and that he does answer you by recording your conversation with him next time you speak with him. Then just convert the record on to a .mp3 file, then send us a link to download and listen to it.

Maybe you can ask him to meet you face to face, so you can also take a picture of him, scan it and send it to us as a .jpg.

Well what are you waiting for?

Move those hands and pray!

What is prayer:

"praying is very important, because it makes their relationship with God stronger, and they believe it changes them and the world in which they live."