Goodbye Jesus

Noticed Something About Near Death Experiences

HoustonHorn

Just read a news article about a 4-year-old kid who claims to have seen angels when we was operated on for a ruptured appendix; going so far as to claim that he saw his great-grandfather and the daughter that his mother miscarried years before he was born.

Sort of clicked that nobody who claims to have seen something while dead claims to have seen Hell. They always see Heaven.

That means one of two things. People are seeing what they want to see as the oxygen leaves their brains, although this kid's story is actually a little creepy with things that a 4-year-old really shouldn't have known about. Or, there is a God and these people have seen him; but since everybody is going to Heaven then he's really a loving guy and everybody gets to Heaven. Either way it seems like a win.

For the record, I think it's these guys' brains playing tricks as the oxygen leaves.

I had a near death experience and never saw anything. I just felt a moment of sheer terror and then I blacked out.

I've often wondered what people who are buddhist or hindu or some other non-christian religion see when they have near death experiences. Do they see the buddha? or krishna? I've looked for the answer online but was unsuccessful.

• Super Moderator

I did see one guy on TV that claimed he spent his NDE in Hell. He suggested we all get saved by Jesus right away.

I actually had a conversation once with a guy who claimed to have had an NDE in hell. I had been sort of under the impression that heaven and hell experiences were both reported about equally where xianity is the dominant mythos, but a quick google suggests that I was mistaken and that your observation seems right. Interesting in light of the fact that so many xians think that the majority of people go to hell.

I've often wondered what people who are buddhist or hindu or some other non-christian religion see when they have near death experiences. Do they see the buddha? or krishna? I've looked for the answer online but was unsuccessful.

Yes, they do but not necessarily Buddha or Krishna. They see the afterlife as they are taught to see it.

Just read a news article about a 4-year-old kid who claims to have seen angels when we was operated on for a ruptured appendix; going so far as to claim that he saw his great-grandfather and the daughter that his mother miscarried years before he was born.

I find this hard to believe - let's make a few assumptions.

Kid is part of the batshit crazy evangelical system and has already heard in this case, the sweet baby jesus story and after waking up the second time recalls a dream.

Under anesthetic, when I went under and was then woken up by one of the nurses, they give you something to counter the anesthesia then you are transported back to the ward once you are stable and breathing on your own again. In the cases where I was operated on, the time I passed out to the time I woke up, there was no time lapse and remembered nothing.

I too had dreams/hallucinations in the recovery wards. This is not NDE as this is a controlled medical situation and the amount of anesthesia is controlled throughout the procedure.

Back to the kid.

He has a dream of whatever based on information he has already been exposed to. and this is how it plays out.

Kid: "mommy, I had a dream about jesus and heaven whatever the story details"

Batshitcrazymother: "Oh that is sweet honey, did you see your dead lil sister?"

Kid: "yes mommy.......invents details"

Batshitcrazymother: "Did you see great grandpa?"

And so on and so on.

How on earth is this classified as an NDE? It was a controlled procedure.

So did the kid have heart failure in the procedure? Where is this data? How long was the kid out of it? Where is the medical report?

Kid recovers and by now with a tale that has been flowered up, is given the opportunity to testify in church. His embellished story/dream is now proof that gawd exists - go figure.

This like so many of these "testimonies" are mere wishful thinking. At age 4 kids are very impressionable and I guess at this age is not going to the nursery sunday school just yet and is sadly exposed to the doom 'n gloom message of the adult service.

What I gathered from the great grandfather is that this kid probably only saw pics or video of him, the mother was very attached, and needed a placebo to set her mind at rest.

Some may say in innocence, the kid would not lie, but what is reality at that age? My memories are from 5 something and only bits and pieces.

Sadly, this traumatic event in this kid's life has set him up for a lifetime of delusion. By the time he reaches adulthood, this imaginary thing will be ingrained as something that really happened.

As usual, god can only reveal himself with the aid of medicine and science.

Fucking idiots.

Sometimes childhood delusions turn into open-minded adults. Have you seen Marjoe? A precocious son of an evangelist started preaching at FOUR YEARS OLD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe_Gortner

Sometimes childhood delusions turn into open-minded adults. Have you seen Marjoe? A precocious son of an evangelist started preaching at FOUR YEARS OLD!

http://en.wikipedia..../Marjoe_Gortner

From the article

His parents claimed
he had received a vision from God during a bath but this was later conceded by Marjoe to be a lie
his parents forced him
to repeat.

That pretty much sums up my initial suspicions. Turns out that he was still a bit of a fucked up person later in life stealing equipment and abandoning his peers on a failed movie.

Most of these cases, the parents live their miserable lives vicariously through their children.

Odd that they needed to try and drown him periodically to get a vision. What is with these woo woos? Does their gawd really need this help? Mayby it is the Abraham Issac scenario they were trying to play out.

I can't remember where I read it but NDE with people in hell do exist and in fact are a significant minority (I think the % given was in the 30s). I also remember watching so TV doco where some guy claimed he use to be an atheist until he had an NDE in hell and then converted to Lutheran Christianity and became a minister.

I can't remember where I read it but NDE with people in hell do exist and in fact are a significant minority (I think the % given was in the 30s). I also remember watching so TV doco where some guy claimed he use to be an atheist until he had an NDE in hell and then converted to Lutheran Christianity and became a minister.

I don't think the guy was an atheist in the sense that he had researched and dismissed etc, just didn't give a shit about religion. Anyone that has any latent fears is still open to this delusion, it is the woo woo flexipreferential definition of an atheist, maybe the guy was into the occult and hence atheist by their definition.

A woo woo also told me of a number of children in India that had visions of hell w/o being taught anything of that. The Indians are also very spiritual and the scene happened at an RCC mission, so the likelihood of hearing about hell must have happened. These visions occurred all in the same night and a book was allegedly written about it that was extremely graphic. I researched the claims and there were so many red flags it was unbelievable.

The NDE's or OOBE's can all be simulated by brain area stimulation with the same results of vision of the white light, ghouls, floating above and seeing your body. In all these cases, the brain was NOT dead. What triggers the visions of hell or heaven is likely subject to what the person was exposed to. This is merely a dream of sorts. Speaking of which, dreams occur usually at the point of waking and usually influenced by external stimulae. That dream may be remembered and may have what appears to be a long timescale where the dream itself may have only been a second or two. During this transcendental state, we are not conscious of time via our other senses, hence the time-scale difference.

Dreams like falling and floating gently into your bed, waking up when you have cut off the blood supply to a leg or arm are all natural things that happen to fix the problem. I once had a dream of astral travel and guess what my friends and I had discussed the day before? Astral travel.

This of course is a summary of stuff I did research on once upon a time, it is all there if you are willing to explore.

Even the testimonies of time slowing down in a car crash is masses of adrenalin pumping through your body to give you the ability to make snap decisions.

If you look at how action movies can affect you with playing not only on the visual but the auditory senses, it is easy to see that there must be a way of tapping into our psyche. Imagine a surround theater that played on the other senses where in an explosion you would feel the sudden heat of an explosion and the rocking of your seat, followed by smell and taste of the aftermath of an explosion.

The brain is a fascinating subject.

Yes, they do but not necessarily Buddha or Krishna. They see the afterlife as they are taught to see it.

This.

When I was still going thru my deconversion I heard Dr. Steven Novella from the Skeptics Guide to the Universe talk about this very thing. It was just one more piece of the puzzle that led to my deconversion.

I figured that if I have an NDE. I would brobaly see heaven/hell/etc because thats what so many years of Christianity had burned into me.

Either that or I see dozens of fine, sexy women. That'd be fine to :grin:

http://en.wikipedia..../Marjoe_Gortner

From the article

]That pretty much sums up my initial suspicions. Turns out that he was still a bit of a fucked up person later in life stealing equipment and abandoning his peers on a failed movie.

I know Marjoe as both friend and businessman and one can hardly judge his entire producing career from one project that didn't get off the ground. I am also acquainted w/ Jake Busey, who's dad was the star of that film, and neither of them tell the story the way it appears in Wikipedia.

I had a NDE when I was younger. During a surgery. In those days I was a So. Baptist. I thought I saw a person that resembled what I thought was Jesus. He got pissed off and said that everyone that passes through thinks he's Jesus Christ! When he was going to tell me his true name, I woke up in recovery room in ICU.