Goodbye Jesus

Former True Believers - Why Do Theists Have Such A Big Problem With Atheists?

Guest MadameX

Many believers (my former self included) only know the straw-man version of atheists presented by the church. Atheists are seen at best as rebellious deniers of God or at worst pawns of Satan, but either way definitely "fools" who need to be silenced in order to stop them from deceiving the impressionable. As much as atheists are misrepresented by religious leaders, the unfortunate thing is that many swallow it whole.

As far as those saying that most believers secretly know they're wrong, there probably are some who deep down know they're wrong, but suggesting that most know it seems to me to be an exaggeration. From my many years in the Christian crowd, I didn't see much evidence of that, and I myself certainly was confident that Christianity was 100% true. Perhaps it depends on which Christian circles you're in, and of course I can only speak from where I came from.

Wow. So how did you de-convert, what did it for you? And at what age? (editted to add - Oh OK ! I found your personal story which answers the first question)

If I can figure out how to set up a poll on this site, I would be interested to see how old people were when they de-converted.

Amazing interesting stuff from everyone. And so, so sad.

I was 29 when my first doubts started, and over the next year I really started to see how messed up Christianity is. At 37, I now am blown away that I could have ever believed such nonsense, but unfortunately I was brainwashed enough that I did unswervingly believe Christianity to be true until I was 29.