Goodbye Jesus

What Will It Take

pratt

Ok,,,, just a fleeting thought while reading some still struggling with their unbelief/disbelief, trying to shake and break away from the bondage of christianity,,, so this question is rather scary and terrifying for some, and it's like your 1st time watching Nightmare on Elm Street. So if I have caused any discomfort or upset, a sincere apology from me. Was thinking to put in exC life but presume will be inappropriate there.

As being exC, we have believed and walked away unbelieved from christian god. and i am just asking, is there anyway or any evidence needed to convince you to believe in the bible god again. What will the trigger point be?

For me, i am not sure what it would be. The discovery of the garden of eden guarded by the angels? or a live telecast of god appearing in the sky on CNN?

I guess God would have to appear to me and tell me something like "Yeah, you know all that bullshit that was forced on you from the time you were in the womb until many years later when you decided none of it added up? You were completely wrong. It was all true. I know you think I'm a sick fuck, but I'm your sick fuck and I'm your God."

• Super Moderator
As being exC, we have believed and walked away from christian god.

One can't walk away from that which doesn't exist. In my case I eventually realized I had allowed myself to be duped. I think that any gods that are relevant to human society would be easily discoverable if not obvious.

I'm not really sure what I'd need to make me believe again but at the very least all of my issues with Christianity would need to be addressed in a way that I find sufficient. Tied into this would be an overflow of archeological evidence in support of the history as presented in the Bible. If archeological evidence presented itself in favor of the Bible and my philosophical problems resolved with a better answer than "God is beyond our understanding", I would be inclined to reverting back. Oh, and answer to prayer would be a nice way to tie it all together.

Personal Appearance plus explanations of all the inconsistencies.

That would however still not make me a follower.

I remember seeing something on TBN where they were on about the temple and the USA geographics closely resembled stuff relating to the jewish temple thus proving that the USA is the new israel and the custodian of gawds shit till jeebus returned.

I think many in the USA believe that gawd has sanctioned the USA to be the light bearer to the nations - I mean after all, the USA is the land of milk and honey and the 'murican dream and everyone else in teh wurlde is jealous of the 'murican freedumb and liburtees and that is why every mooslimb wants to take this away :grin:

This merely conjecture as reaching the point of rational thinking and conclusions, it is impossible to turn your back on logic.

Belief is irrelevant. Faith is irrelevant.

There's one thing that make me believe.

A logical explaination of the problem of evil, without the apologetics bullshit. Logical answers... Why did God create a creature, which had a dialogue with Eve? Wasn't God all-knowing to foresee the outcome of the dialogue? Why didn't he do anything to prevent the outcome?

If anybody answers me these questions in a satisfactory way, I'll jump back to Christianity.

A logical explaination of the problem of evil, without the apologetics bullshit. Logical answers... Why did God create a creature, which had a dialogue with Eve? Wasn't God all-knowing to foresee the outcome of the dialogue? Why didn't he do anything to prevent the outcome?

If anybody answers me these questions in a satisfactory way, I'll jump back to Christianity.

Yes - This would be me. I would love a visit from god. A loving, whispering explanation to all suffering, including an answer to why we humans have so many 'character defects' and fuck up so often in our lives. I would love for god to come to me, even in a dream and have a nice talk to me, telling me that the whole bible was not his word - but man's word.

But then......... I would still go back to my question about where he is in all of this suffereing...............................

I just can't win with this.........................:shrug:

What would make me believe again? It's hard to say. I had no pre-set criteria about what would make me stop believing. I stopped believing because the most rational conclusion at the time was that Christianity's claims and worldview were not true. A world without a god matched reality better than a world with the Christian god.

So, there would have to be another set of evidence and circumstances that supersede this previous conclusion - that makes the world make sense with a Christian god more than without a god.

Of course it could be that the world with a god other than the Christian god makes more sense than a world without a god.

Christianity has a set of problems that make a turnaround look highly unlikely. I now know that messianic prophesies are not about Jesus. I also know that some of the promises Jesus made to believers about what he would do in their personal lives are not true. Christianity has failed in several of the ways in which it claims to authenticate itself.

So, there's no way to know what exactly would make be believe again.

I already believe in God. But I don't think anything could make me see the Bible literally like I used to. It just doesn't make sense.

Basically, He'd have to appear in all His Glory. I might not be able to trust whatever the fuck It is, let alone rescind my denial of Christianity, but I don't think I'd be able to deny that there's some humongous deity type person and that it's in my best interest to do what It tells me.

The rapture.

Millions of christians disappearing would be worth 7 years of tribulation if it proves Biblegod is real.

If the Bible god really existed, the only thing that would make me believe in him again is if he appeared to me. Now, getting me to worship him again is a whole different game; even if he came and said that everything in the Bible was completely bastardized and wrong, I would still not worship him because he should have told that to everyone else.

I don't know what would make me believe again.

But right now even if the Biblegod would prove himself 100% real, I'm still not sure I would want to serve him. I'd only serve him out of fear again (like I didn basically as a Xtian) and it's not healthy if you only want to be with a person out of fear and because he threatened you with something terrible, and not because you really love him. And I can't find love for the Biblegod, he's not a good god. Of course, if God turned out to be unlike the Biblegod and some very cool and really lovable character, then that might be a different story.

Nothing will make me believe in Yahweh, Yeshua and Holy Spirit again. They are to me what Zeus, Thor, Mithra, Ra, Apsu, Isis, Odin, Neptune, et al., are to Abrahamic theists. The Abrahamic gods (because I'm not deluded into believing "monotheism" really exists in Christian mythology) do no register on my radar. They aren't up for reconsideration. They are deity characters in ancient mythos. The basis of the Abrahamic traditions rest on poly/henotheism and Yahwistic tribalism/nationalism. It claims it is unique and wishes to corner the market on monotheism. If only most realized the basis for the traditions and what it rests on.

... i am just asking, is there anyway or any evidence needed to convince you to believe in the bible god again. What will the trigger point be?

I am a little late coming to this thread. It's a very good question - one that I have given considerable thought to over the years. I can only answer as follows:

If undeniable proof that the Bible God exists were to surface today - proof so iron clad as to rule out denial, I would become a Satanist. There is no way I could be on the same team as the jerk known as Jehovah. I would team up with the Devil and do my best to see that he won in the end. NOTHING could convince me to worship the monster God of Hebrew mythology.

Pappy

• Like 1

Guest Valk0010

I don't know, but I am not sure I could even worship the god of the bible if proven real and proven kind. I can't worship and love out of fear.

The rapture.

Millions of christians disappearing would be worth 7 years of tribulation if it proves Biblegod is real.

Good point! I've thought about this Discern!

It would be a hell-of-a blood bath to go through,

but - then we do get a second chance to change our minds - don't we? :shrug:

Yes - This would be me. I would love a visit from god. A loving, whispering explanation to all suffering, including an answer to why we humans have so many 'character defects' and fuck up so often in our lives. I would love for god to come to me, even in a dream and have a nice talk to me, telling me that the whole bible was not his word - but man's word.

But then......... I would still go back to my question about where he is in all of this suffereing...............................

I just can't win with this.........................:shrug:

I'm late in this discussion, but what came immediately to my mind was:

GOD whispers in Margee's ear: "I admit that I Am nothing more than what is obviously logical to conclude: I am both Good and Evil. But I Am also a Capricious Asshole who doesn't mind teaching humanity that might makes right."

If there were an all-powerful deity who wanted to have a relationship with me, then that deity would know what it would take to make me believe know that he/she/it exists. Such a being would know how to prove him/her/itself to me.

Frankly, I'm no longer interested in any arguments for God. It's preposterous to think that an omniscient, omnibenevolent being would have to be dependent upon fallible humans to do his bidding for him. It's also preposterous to think that such a being would allow countless little children to starve to death, not doing a damn thing about it.

So, if such a being exists, he/she/it will have to reveal him/her/itself in no uncertain terms (which should be an extremely simple task for an omnipotent deity) and then proceed to explain how an all-powerful, all-loving being could fuck up so badly with all the suffering in the world. And if this being would be the God of the Bible, then he would have to explain why he allowed all the contradictions, fabricated prophetic fulfillments, injustices, etc. into his book.

In other words, there's next to zero chance of me ever being a believer again.

• Like 3