Goodbye Jesus

In-laws Worried We Might Not Be Raptured With Them

Jds22

Just got back from dinner with my wife, 2 sons, and her parents. Her parents are Baptist fundies, as was I. They are positive the rapture is getting ready to happen based on all the middle east turmoil going on at the moment.

During dinner they said something to the effect that they are getting ready to be raptured and want to be sure that we are going with them. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that we don't go to church with them anymore, thank GOD, and have actually, gasp, gone to a Lutheran church. In their eyes we might as well be sprinting to hell. The reason we occasionally go to the Lutheran church is because my son is the music director and organist so we go to see him play.

As a former fundie, I can totally understand their concern and believe it is genuine. I felt the same way many times. They don't know of my de-conversion or that my wife and kids don't believe in the rapture although they are still Christians, for the time being anyways.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

It's nuts when you're looking at it from the outside, isn't it? They're going to be so disappointed when 2013 rolls around and we're looking at a partially democratic middle east, the economy back to where it was before the recession, and everyone is rolling on just as they were before. I had the pleasure of interviewing my grandmother who lived through World War II -- they were talking the same jive, except Hitler was the Antichrist. Every generation is ready and rearin' to go for the big one.

I personally always wanted to live through the Tribulation. It always sounded so much more interesting than just sprinting to Heaven and sitting out. At least the Left Behind books made it sound that way.

• Super Moderator
They are positive the rapture is getting ready to happen...

Fundies have always thought that. They always will. Batshit crazy.

Sadly, amid all their psychoses, they actually do mean well. It's tragic, really.

It just hit me from reading your post. Ten years ago I would have thought the same way

Hell, 5 years ago. That must mean I'm getting better subconsciously. I just watch the news and think about the political and gas issues.

Well, if the rapture looks like what is depicted in media, I wouldn't want to be raptured with my relatives.

Had a fundy friend who was always talking about how the end was just around the corner. There was a rash of earthquakes in China in the early 90's that really got him going and he would incessantly talk about donning his holy flight suit for the ride. Could never convince him that these things had always been happening and instant media coverage just makes it seem more frequent. This guy also always walked around with his head down in "subserviance" to his god. Coincidently his last name was Cross and we were reminded constantly that it signified his mission in life.

Check this out!

http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/

Hahahaha

I know this is a "Real family issuse". i am just being silly here.

Maybe you could tell them, "It's okay! We'll take care of (name of their pet here) for you! We are a blessing to you!"

:lmao:

Sorry - just in one of those moods this morning! :lmao: song for the day - 'Up, Up and Away'.......................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSocikOpHU&feature=related

Actually, a rapture would be very interesting in this sense. The way it works would be that only true Christians are raptured and those who didn't believe at all or whose belief didn't measure up to god's standard, whatever that is, would be left behind. What I'd like to see are those "christians" who are left behind trying to explain why they weren't raptured with their brothers and sisters in Christ. Could make for some real entertainment.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

• Super Moderator

That Six Feet Under rapture scene was my favorite part of an already awesome series. Thanks for posting it.

It just hit me from reading your post. Ten years ago I would have thought the same way

Hell, 5 years ago. That must mean I'm getting better subconsciously. I just watch the news and think about the political and gas issues.

Me too. I was "saved" in 1982 after reading an end times book similar to Late Great Planet Earth. From 1982 up until around 2005 I believed in that teaching 100%. There was no questioning it, it was true and going to happen at any moment.

Now it doesn't even occur to me when watching or reading about current events.

Shit happens. Always has, always will.

Might as well enjoy some wine while I'm hear and let everything work itself out.

Edited to add - I just checked out the Rapture Index, it's not looking good.

Rapture Index 175

Updated Feb 21, 2011

Rapture Index of 100 and Below: Slow prophetic activity

Rapture Index of 100 to 130: Moderate prophetic activity

Rapture Index of 130 to 160: Heavy prophetic activity

Rapture Index above 160: Fasten your seat belts

Tell 'em you'll catch a later flight.

Just tell them there's no need to worry - you're not ;)

:HaHa:

No way! Is this true? I started laughing so hard................. but then the ending?....................................True?

Six feet under was a great show. At the beginning of the program they would always have these interesting and creative death scenes.

Even by the standard leap in logic it requires to be a Christian, the Rapture is a completely ridiculous notion.

• Super Moderator

No way! Is this true? I started laughing so hard................. but then the ending?....................................True?

Hi Margee.... Six Feet Under was an HBO dark comedy/drama. This scene was inspired by a urban legend that had been floating (tee-hee I made a funny) around for years. Whenever I hear anyone talking about The Rapture, this scene comes immediately to my slightly demented mind. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Here's the link about the episode.

And the link to the urban legend.

I think we should open a business catering for caring for pets whose owners have been raptured.

That way, their family companion, but not rapture material, will be cared for all the way through the 1,000 years the devil walks the earth, providing death has indeed fled. For a one time only fee of $689.99 USD per pet, your pet can live out its limited lifespan. Nothing like an 'I told you so,' by being constantly reminded to feed your new Christ-inspired pet! A new faith-inspired ministry. Call it 'Rapture Partners'.

In my church they weren't sure if the Rapture was gonna happen before or after or during the tribulation. Most of course hope they'd be raptured before the tribulation, but I was kind of always interested, even as a Xtian, what would it be like to live through the tribulation. It seemed more adventurous and also more heroic. I pictured myself as a resistance fighter in an underground Xtian movement which works against the big, evil, official political system during tribulation. :HaHa:

Of course, I don't believe in it any more. My father and his wife are worried for me though that I'm gonna be "left behind".

Ahhh, yes, I remember I used to be so worried about what would happen to my pets were I to be raptured. Glad I don't have to worry about that crap anymore!

Even as a Christian, though, I still managed to find that Six Feet Under episode hilarious... :wicked: