Goodbye Jesus

Does It Really Matter If We Sin Against Each Other?

pk62281

Another goofy thought I had. Questions like this plagued me when I was a Christian. I'm so glad I deconverted.

If we're predestined for Heaven or Hell, then what does it really matter how much we sin? Why should god even care? If I torture someone for his or her whole life time, does it really matter? A lifetime is basically almost 0 compared to eternity. Kinda like the graph of 1/x. I imagine if he or she is bound for heaven, that blip of torture is nothing compared to an eternity of happiness. If that person is bound for hell, what does it matter that I torture him or her for a lifetime? If someone's going to be tortured for eternity anyway, what's another 80 years! What's another 5000 years! I could become a mad scientist and keep someone's brain alive just so I could torture it for 1000000000000000000000000 years, and that still wouldn't hold a candle to an eternity of torture.

I cant believe I believed in such a useless petty god for most of my life. Why does he care so much about what I do to others if he's going to do much worse or much better.

If you're both headed for hell then by torturing them for life I would think you're doing them a favor. Think of yourself as the warm-up act. It's like they're getting a little "taste" of what's to come thanks to you. You're putting the frog into water and slowly turning up the heat. In a way you're doing something nice...maybe you'll get into heaven after all. ;)

mwc

That is what proves one does not have to be religious in order to be a moral or compassionate person. Christianity likes to claim love and mercy would not exist without them. The ten commandments have been posted in almost every courthouse in the country (USA) with no impact on the rising crime rate. When they are removed, it also doesn't affect the numbers.

I know the response Calvinists give to this problem is that we know who is destined for heaven or hell based upon their actions. For example, a person who is going to heaven will help the poor and be compassionate whereas a person who is going to hell will hurt others.

Also, how do we know who is going to heaven or hell? Who to torture?

Every time someone chooses to hurt someone else, it diminishes all of us. Doesn't matter if there is a heaven or hell or even sin. We all have to live here, and if we are assholes it just makes it harder for everyone. Makes no real difference if there is or isn't an afterlife.

• Like 1