Goodbye Jesus

Fasting

LivingLife

Furthermore, why is it necessary that food must be excluded to commune with god? In all likelihood, this sounds like encouraging delusional thinking as the body needs nutrition and may get folk to hallucinate.

I have wondered this before as well, although I have also heard explanations like the one Vacuum's mother gave, "that it isn't supposed to be about giving something up; it's about filling that time with prayer instead."

Personally, I can't go more than about 3 hours without a food headache starting ...

Just like christianity to get people to give up something they need in exchange for bullshit.

the human body evolved to be able to deal with times without food. It was fairly "normal" to be on involuntary fasts up until the 20th century. Now they didn't all invovle complete absence of food. It was usually a lessening of caloric intake.

Thus the reason why the body stores fat.

Comparing not eating to running a car without oil is not entirely correct. The body can run for about a few days pretty easily without food. While you can go for over a month without eating longer then a week would required monitoring by doctors and differnet people burn fat at different rates.

Now I didn't say it wouldn't suck the first time you did it. Sugar and caffine dependency will cause withdrawals. Headaches being prime example.

Thus my suggestion that friends above have done with good resutls. They stated they found they needed to eat less, and they did not want junk food.

:shrug:

is not healthy at all.

I agree with Xerces, fasting = not healthy.

Especially if you're diabetic or as I am - hypoglycemic.

I suppose if I was a drug addict on a 5 day crystal meth binge I might like to fast, otherwise no thanks.

It is healthy. If Christians would all go on 40 day fasts, the world would be a better place in 40 days or less.

It is healthy. If Christians would all go on 40 day fasts, the world would be a better place in 40 days or less.

You are forgetting the rule of three. It takes longer than 40 days to die of starvation. Approximately: Three days from lack of water and three months without any food what so ever, as long as you have water that is. The only reason why some people survived the Holocaust was because they were given just enough to keep them alive longer than three months, but not enough to prevent starvation mode. A total and complete fast, without even water and a person has little chance of surviving even 40 days or 1 month and 10 days, but with water, they could survive the 40 days. However they would not feel very well. This is from a recovering anorexic too, who survived years long fasts, including 40 days, surviving on caffeine mostly- cappuccinos, lattes, diet coke... I was getting some dairy via the coffees, but not enough to keep from losing a LOT of weight. If I had any binge eating, it was 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon carton of ice cream or alike. Which is what? A pint of ice cream? My stomach shrunk to the point I would have pain by that point, but that is still not enough to cause one to gain a whole lot of weigh, like a bulimic who didn't puke. So 40 days is nothing and trust me, I've done the 40 days many times, plus others.

Is fasting comparable in sensation to having just donated blood when you are small-bodied and chronically low on iron? If so, I can understand- it makes you very light-headed, and perhaps a bit delusional.

I don't think I could ever fast, or even develop anorexia, because I like eating too much (I've gotten myself to a good level of food intake, especially since I'm in college, and I'm a pretty small person to begin with)

Is fasting comparable in sensation to having just donated blood when you are small-bodied and chronically low on iron? If so, I can understand- it makes you very light-headed, and perhaps a bit delusional.

I can't answer that question, because I have never been big enough to donate blood. I'm only 4' 11" and around 100 lbs, give or take a little. A person has to be a minimum of 110 lbs to donate and that is a bit much for my small frame, esp with the JA (Juvenile arthritis) I eventually developed as a teen and still have in my 40s.

I don't think I could ever fast, or even develop anorexia, because I like eating too much (I've gotten myself to a good level of food intake, especially since I'm in college, and I'm a pretty small person to begin with)

Don't, because I don't think fasting is healthy and developing anorexia isn't healthy for sure, but it takes a lot more to develop anorexia than just attending a church. Religion alone, esp one that is not dogmatic, doesn't cause anorexia. There are a multitude of factors besides dogmatic and abusive ideology, which also contributed to it. Fasting for Lent, in the literal sense or just giving up something for Lent does not cause anorexia by itself, so I doubt you are in any danger, but I would not advise fasting even so.

• 2 weeks later...

I never saw the fucking point. People would try to explain it to me and I just wouldn't get it. Shit, why don't we all just sit in the lotus position and go "ommmmmmmmmmm" then?

I've heard if you're starting a new diet it's not a bad idea to fast/sweat for a couple days to get the toxins of your previous diet out, but then that just might be New Age mumbo jumbo or something.

I was the only person in my family to become a born again, the only person to fast, it screwed with my blood sugar levels, and I have type II diabetes. Not healthy to fast for lengths of time.

If you eat a shit load of food, is that called "slowing"?

I never saw the fucking point. People would try to explain it to me and I just wouldn't get it. Shit, why don't we all just sit in the lotus position and go "ommmmmmmmmmm" then?

I've heard if you're starting a new diet it's not a bad idea to fast/sweat for a couple days to get the toxins of your previous diet out, but then that just might be New Age mumbo jumbo or something.

The way I understood it fasting and praying is suppose to make you closer to God. It never worked for me.