Goodbye Jesus

Who Does More To Fuck Up The World?

Vomit Comet

Virtue. :lmao:

I haven't known any Islamic fundamentalists, don't know many Catholics, but I have known a lot of American fundamentalists. and they royally fuck shit up. So my bias is against them.

It's amazing how religion can cause otherwise decent people to shit on people around them. All in the name of the god buzz. It's exactly like a drug, it not only ruins your life but the people around you.

I figured it out. I know who fucks up the world the most.

People with power who believe their power exempts them from being bound by virtue, these people truly fuck up the world.

Yes, yes and YES!!! +963 :thanks:

I think silly notions of 'virtue' do quite a bit to fuck up the world.

I think silly notions of 'virtue' do quite a bit to fuck up the world.

I firmly believe that without trust society disintegrates and without virtue there is no trust.

Why are you so down on virtue Rank?

'Cause like I've said, 'virtue' is in the eye of the beholder. What you would consider 'virtue' is probably quite different from what Obama would consider 'virtue'. And I imagine that Palin would have yet another idea of what constitutes 'virtue'. And Gaddafi would have yet a different notion of virtue. It's just another word for 'people should do things my way'.

'Cause like I've said, 'virtue' is in the eye of the beholder. What you would consider 'virtue' is probably quite different from what Obama would consider 'virtue'. And I imagine that Palin would have yet another idea of what constitutes 'virtue'. And Gaddafi would have yet a different notion of virtue. It's just another word for 'people should do things my way'.

Which do you see as being more encompassing? Virtue or ethics? Are ethics in the eye of the beholder in your opinion? If so then you seem to adhere to some vulgar version of moral relativism.

Well at least you can make sort of a logical argument when you get into ethics. Whereas I find 'virtue' about as compelling 'sin'.

As for vulgar moral relativism- I wouldn't say that I 'adhere' to it. It's really more of an observation. I don't worry too hard about morals or twist myself into knots about what people *should* do. I prefer to do whatever suits me and mine- I don't see much need for value judgements beyond that. Best I can tell, most people don't really use standards like morality and virtue to guide behavior, so much as to judge and/or justify behavior after the fact.

Well at least you can make sort of a logical argument when you get into ethics.

I've never been impressed by the philosophy of ethics. What "sort of logical" arguments are you talking about?

You know- philosophy 101 stuff. May not be air-tight... but you can build a hell of a lot better case than bitching about 'virtue'.

You know- philosophy 101 stuff.

No. I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

I prefer to do whatever suits me and mine- I don't see much need for value judgements beyond that.

But there is a limit on what you would and would not do right?

Yeah, I'm sure there is. I reckon that if I was enough of a dick, then I'd feel bad about it. Or at least other people wouldn't want anything to do with me. I'm not sure why I'd need more of a framework than that. Just seems legalistic and bordering on magical thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding of Locke's view regarding the state of nature is pretty much how most people live their lives. I don't steal my neighbor's chickens or rape his daughters because I don't want him stealing my chickens or raping my daughters.

I think RS is right. People aren't ruled by moral codes, even if they wax on for hours about them. In addition to what I wrote above, people are social animals and we do what we want to do within bounds of how we and others feel about things. That's it. No one sits in the checkout line after mistakenly receiving an extra quarter from the cashier contemplating a categorical imperative to give back the quarter because if you carry out stealing as an end, you would not that the world exist on stealing. You either return the quarter because you think it's the right thing to do or you don't, either because it's a bother or you are greedy.

Philosophy only explains why we do things, it doesn't guide anyone's actions.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Other. The media worldwide, regardless of the country, is owned by corporations and government agencies, and it distorts the reality so that the viewers have no choice but to have their biased representation of the world. It can paint a country as evil, good, and have everyone go along.