Goodbye Jesus

The Future Of The Human Race

Mister Pappy

Which bit don't you understand?

I am assuming here that we are speaking of the human species as a whole (i.e. humanity). Currently that seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 billion people covering the Earth. So the natural "system" under our scrutiny is a species.

In my opinion, an understanding of a natural system is essentially a model. It entails the ability to predict with accuracy and explain with fidelity. I cannot predict, nor can I explain, the behavior of humanity. Therefore I do not understand humanity.

I have no idea whether ours will remain prosperous and stable long enough for us to really break away from our 'roots'. I reckon the odds are against it.

New technology often equals new wealth. The question remains whether new technology can offset current reliance on limited commodity resources in order to sustain advances, which in turn create new wealth.

Then we have to add nukes and weaponized bacteria/viruses to the equation. Were it only for the former, I'd say we would continue to advance, but for the later, I don't know.

I'm not worried about weaponized viruses in the long term. Some zombies are pretty bad-ass, depending on the movie. In a few thousand years we could have a zombietopia.

Zombietopia what the fu---- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

The thing is the world is always changing...as the revolutions in the Mid-east attest.

The dictators of previous times don't work anymore. People won't stand for it.

I see in 100 years or so, the end of the debt-based monetary system and most likely currency in any form .

I see changing weather patterns forcing us to adapt to them. Thus changes in growing season and food distirbution.

Oil will be gone. So the world will have to move toward more electrical powered devices, via some kind of solar infastructure, or electrial re"fueling".

The current government of the US will probably stil exsist. However, it will be different.

I do feel there is a possibility of civil war in the US should the dominionist gain power.

In a 1000 years. :shrug: Most likly there will be colonies on Mars and the Moon. Possibiily stations in Jovian and Saturn orbits. Life will be discovered on Titan. Simple, but still life. Space journeys will go from years down to days at most. Travel to other solar systems will be common place.

Contact with an extraterrestial race will finally happen. This will cause a profound shift in our view of our own history.

but we will still be human. Wars will still be fought, thought they wil never be world wide in scope. With the colonies, there will be a unifiing force in the people of earth. There could be a repeat of the impearal and colonial wars of the past.

It wil be discovered that gorillas posses human level senteintance. This could lead to a new slave trade in dark skined people.

Human population will decline to around half of where it is now, and generally stay there, on earth. Total human population could be much larger.

Religion will begin to fall away. There will still be elements of it around, but they will lose their power in politics and thus over us.

Overall, things will continue. There will be bad times and good. People will still be petty at times, but there will be shift to a more collective ideal. Tribes will be seen as part of the collective Human race. And evetually broader as any senteint life from earth will be included as well.

this is of course barring a the solar system passing through a black hole or something.

I had something typed out then my power went out and I lost it all. Basically though I hope we unify on earth, quality of life improves dramatically for everyone, not perfect but greatly improved. I also hope we venture into space and make star trek exploration a reality. Also, that science continues to answer difficult questions about why the fuck we're here in the first place. I really doubt, that we're going to blow ourselves up, I think we're past that, we're not past war with ourselves just yet but I do believe we're past blowing ourselves up. If anything is going to kill us all it will be a huge meteor, that would really show how pointless everything is.

The big question before us in the next 100 years will be if we can become a type 1 civilization, it is about 50/50.

The problem, as I see it, is that the powerful in the world today are those who are making money by insuring that we do NOT become a type 1 civilization - oil profiteers. This is my point regarding greed. For these people, profits are more important than progress. The worst of it is that the same people hold the key to our future.

We will still be here in 2,000 years. There has been nothing like the human mind in all of evolution. With our ability for technology, we can find ways to survive that are probably beyond our present imagination. Who, living only 300 years ago, would imagine a jet airplane much less the space shuttle? What will the machine age produce in even 100 years?

The worst mass extinction took out approximately 70% of land living species 250 million years ago at the Permian/Triassic boundary. No one knows the cause. An atmospheric change could have happened, but we have ways of surviving that nothing alive then had. Even if the atmosphere turns poisonous, some of us would survive and find a way to get off this planet. Yes, I think so.

We will eventually move out into space and colonize other worlds. I do not believe it will happen in my lifetime but it will happen. We are too curious as a species. Unless we have a major climactic, nuclear or biological event that wipes out most of humanity, I think it could well happen in 2,000 years. In the case of a worldwide disaster, it might take longer, but it will eventually happen. We will find the secret to travelling at very fast speeds where this will be possible.

Call me crazy...but I am an optimist.

I don't think you're crazy for being optimistic, but since this is an open discussion, we should be open to entertaining all ideas and opinions. After all, this isn't a debate - just a mix of ideas.

I understand your statement about greed having the "potential" to be a great advantage. We, or our ancestors, will see if that potential develops or not.

Love that clip. But I've actually done a little thinking about it over the years. It's true of the US, but the US makes up 3% of the world's population. It's not going to have a huge impact on future genetics.

Love that clip. But I've actually done a little thinking about it over the years. It's true of the US, but the US makes up 3% of the world's population. It's not going to have a huge impact on future genetics.

Hallelujah :grin:

Mind you, with their opposition to abortion and BC, that may up the ante a bit :twitch:

But back here in sunny SA, we too have our xians but thankfully not so batshit crazy as the USA contingent :phew:

It's funny stuff, but the truth us even the biggest morons might produce a genius. I don't believe intelligence is entirely genetic.