Goodbye Jesus

Watched Harry Potter - Now I Iz A Zombie

LivingLife

Spent most of the weekend watching the Harry Potter movies which were lame IMO. Poor acting, poor story line and for the luv of jeebus cannot see what evil there is in the movies, maybe the books are worse :shrug:

The only gripe I had was the goth like setting wrt lighting making everything dark, poor eyesight at my age.

When I waz a woo woo, I think maybe some of the scenes may have given me a cold chill or two but I felt nothing, no anxiety, nada. The screenplay was very poorly written. The basic is dealing in the light vs. the dark, good vs. evil.

Is there a belief among USA xians that the incantations and spells are real?

Wizards and witches ride on brooms, the bible has flying chariots.

There are probably more parallels and if one wanted to create a new meme, the bible is an excellent source of fiction and characters.

When I was a christian I decided not to watch Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft, which God hated according to the bible. So because I wanted do what was right by biblegod, I did not watch those films. Regardless of whether witchcraft actually 'worked'.

When I was a christian I decided not to watch Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft, which God hated according to the bible. So because I wanted do what was right by biblegod, I did not watch those films. Regardless of whether witchcraft actually 'worked'.

It is weird, I never picked up that it promoted it, it is just a story, there are other films in this genre that were far closer to the evil the church suggests.

On that note, there is communication with the dead in a sort of way but the bible has that in their texts too. The visions of Peter and Paul, what were they if not supernatural and by all counts were just as weird and fantastical as the Harry Potter stuff.

It is not like xianity even comes into the equation. There are no priests, no churches only a dark and light side of magic and magic we all know is just wishful thinking or fantasy. The thing that irks me is where in the hell do the woo woos get the idea that this threatens their flock?

You should watch the series just as an exercise, they suck as films but there is nothing inherently evil at all.

Fundies are increadiably irrational with this stuff.

Unfortunately it comes from Exodus "suffer not a witch to live" http://skepticsannot....com/ex/22.html

This is the only time the term witch appears in the bible. It is also probably an intentional mis-translation. Because of when the KJV was transcribed. I think I read somewhere that the orginal Hebrew correctly translated to poisoner or something, but that was years ago.

It also goes with other verses... http://skepticsannot...terp/magic.html that deal with magic. Given that all other gods were view as evil. Well..you get the idea.

Add to this base, the wonderful Protestant view of religion in the US, and you get stupid things like this because it has magic in it.

What I mean by that is, the Puritains came over along with Aglicans, Methodists, Baptist (might be home grown), and others. Becuase Protestant Christianity in general says that every man can read the bible and draw their own meaning from it. Well they did. Without the benefit of other resources to determine context. Carry that forward and you have the Fundies of today stating everything in the bible is abosolutely true and nothing will change that opinion.

So they believe magic is real. Witch and demons are out to eat your soul. And simply reading a bad fictiional story will turn you to the dark side. Ironically, the good guys in Potter use magic and win, so it must not be all bad then.

EDIT PS Wife read all the books, and stated they are significantly better then the moives. The moive cut about 2/3 of the content out, thus gaping plot holes and such.

There are plenty of OT bible verses dealing with the evils of divination, consulting the dead, etc. I think the fundies take this overall stance (not just one scripture) to mean that all witchcraft is evil and since H.P. deals with magic/witchcraft, that it is evil. People always talked about it being a gateway into witchcraft.

Now watching Harry Potter and reading the books, I'm struck with the silliness of it all. Clearly, this type of magic is NOT real and I think it's funny that Fundies think it's real and something to be afraid of. I guess though, what they really believe is that witchcraft is demonic because all religions that are not christian are demonic.

freedom

There are plenty of OT bible verses dealing with the evils of divination, consulting the dead, etc. I think the fundies take this overall stance (not just one scripture) to mean that all witchcraft is evil and since H.P. deals with magic/witchcraft, that it is evil. People always talked about it being a gateway into witchcraft.

Now watching Harry Potter and reading the books, I'm struck with the silliness of it all. Clearly, this type of magic is NOT real and I think it's funny that Fundies think it's real and something to be afraid of. I guess though, what they really believe is that witchcraft is demonic because all religions that are not christian are demonic.

freedom

Personally I love both the Potter books and movies, all of that aside...

Fundys are also the first ones to Love the Lion the witch and the wardrobe, even tho it's fantasy, has magic, and deals with the good vs. evil scenario. The reason why, it was written by C.S. Lewis., a Christian apologist.

They also ignore, healing waters, walking on waters, magic tricks such as turning water to wine, raising the dead, turning a stick into a snake and so on. Those magic tricks we're suppose to be in awe with because they are in the buybull. I have not heard a rational argument yet why one is accepted, and others are not. . :shrug:

Personally I love both the Potter books and movies, all of that aside...

Fundys are also the first ones to Love the Lion the witch and the wardrobe, even tho it's fantasy, has magic, and deals with the good vs. evil scenario. The reason why, it was written by C.S. Lewis., a Christian apologist.

They also ignore, healing waters, walking on waters, magic tricks such as turning water to wine, raising the dead, turning a stick into a snake and so on. Those magic tricks we're suppose to be in awe with because they are in the buybull. I have not heard a rational argument yet why one is accepted, and others are not. . :shrug:

That's not magic, that's the power of gawd......duh!!!!!! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Spent most of the weekend watching the Harry Potter movies which were lame IMO. Poor acting, poor story line and for the luv of jeebus cannot see what evil there is in the movies, maybe the books are worse :shrug:

The only gripe I had was the goth like setting wrt lighting making everything dark, poor eyesight at my age.

When I waz a woo woo, I think maybe some of the scenes may have given me a cold chill or two but I felt nothing, no anxiety, nada. The screenplay was very poorly written. The basic is dealing in the light vs. the dark, good vs. evil.

Wizards and witches ride on brooms, the bible has flying chariots.

There are probably more parallels and if one wanted to create a new meme, the bible is an excellent source of fiction and characters.

I do not know of anyone who thinks the incantations of Harry Potter movie are real. The USA xtian church is slandering Harry Potter for encouraging witchcraft. At least they do not promote genocide for nonbelief. I liked the movies and thought they made good entertainment for the kids, and my wife likes the books too. Remember at one time how the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe books were considered moral tales suitable for xtian families? Now they aren't because some dork somewhere says they aren't. I just like entertainment.

Probably the only reason for the uproar was the fact that this was the rage amongst the tweens and everybody wanted to see the movies and read the books. That was an alternative to the "church entertainment".

The idea that this is an introduction into witchcraft I also heard, you know satan being subtle and all and that kids would by defacto explore the occult in more detail. The idea that kids are this gullible says a lot for the USA culture. If any 12 YO wanted to explore the occult, they certainly do not need a movie to inspire them. I guess the movies and books come away with this "witchcraft" is kewl is what worries them. The kids may dress up all in black goth style and sell their souls to the devil for these powers.

The parental advice, "its all fiction" probably was not seen as the best approach so they had to demonize it in case the said 12 YO asked, "well what about the bible"?

What is baffling is that once again, satan is omni everything and way stronger than gawd in that he was able to usurp gawds will and get a whole meme published and movies made of it. In this, one has to buy into the premise that satan is real in the first place then base everything else on that. The woo woos always like to tell us that the biggest trick satan has up his sleeve is convincing us he is not real.

W/o the caricature of satan, their myth falls apart. Thus satan will always remain the star of their show and jeebus a mere supporting actor.

If their gawd was so OFE, then he would have prevented all this happening in the first place. We now have the twilight where vampires are cool and that I suppose is also a threat. All this happening under his nose and he is powerless to stop it, however, he does have a reputation of finding good parking spaces. :lmao:

• Like 1