Goodbye Jesus

Maturity

Guest end3

Damn Florduh, you're on a roll.

It's a gift. I am only a tool.

(Please, no +1 just because I said I was a tool.)

+1 because you said "Please."

“A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably”

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I have to agree with Mrs. R. The immature are ruled by emotion, maturity calls for rational response.

You are slipping House....."ruled" and "rational" would be key words here. It's ok, you are probably not getting enough fiber....lol.

The New Humanism, a short NYTimes opinion piece talks about just this subject. I think you'll like it, Ed.

With equipoise,

Phanta

The New Humanism, a short NYTimes opinion piece talks about just this subject. I think you'll like it, Ed.

With equipoise,

Phanta

Good stuff Phanta

With equipoise,

Phanta

Good stuff Phanta

I'm glad you liked it. Legion will, too. YOU HEAR THAT, LEGION? This is a read for you, too, bud.

With equipoise,

Phanta

That is a good article.

I do think anyone who has watched Star Trek is familiar with the struggle to come to an understanding of the relationship between reason and emotions.

The author made this puzzling statement which I'm not sure how to interpret.

our emotions assign value to things and are the basis of reason.

I'm not sure what he means by this. Is he saying that emotions are the motivation to start the reasoning process? Is he saying that we reason because we feel?

It would be nice to hear some other interpretations of this statement.

our emotions assign value to things and are the basis of reason.

I'm not sure what he means by this. Is he saying that emotions are the motivation to start the reasoning process? Is he saying that we reason because we feel?

It would be nice to hear some other interpretations of this statement.

I noticed that too, and had to pause and think about it.

Here is what I decided.

I think he is saying that our emotional reactions to things determine our values. Our values determine how we reason through complex issues. Does that make sense?

If that's what he's trying to say, I'm not sure I agree that our emotions determine our values. I think they are one type of input that informs our value system...but it seems like an oversimplification. Don't our values also temper or otherwise influence our emotions? It seems to me like it is a co-creative process.

What do you think?

Phanta

yes. I don't think emotions and reason are necessarily opposites. I like the phrase "co-creative process." It indicates a dynamic system in which our rational and emotional processes interact. The ability to think through issues, to step outside of the moment and think your way out of anger, fear, or dismay contributes to ones general maturity.

I don't know if that is what the author meant. He really should have gone into that aspect a little bit deeper or left it out.

yes. I don't think emotions and reason are necessarily opposites. I like the phrase "co-creative process." It indicates a dynamic system in which our rational and emotional processes interact. The ability to think through issues, to step outside of the moment and think your way out of anger, fear, or dismay contributes to ones general maturity.

Yeah. And maturity also does not ignore emotions.

As per usual, people are complicated.

I don't know if that is what the author meant. He really should have gone into that aspect a little bit deeper or left it out.

Yeah. He is unclear.

P

Yeah. And maturity also does not ignore emotions.

As per usual, people are complicated.

Yeah. He is unclear.

P

I actually went and read it. Thanks for the link. Hit me as insightful, but will have to re-read and ponder. Thx again.

Thanks for that article, Phanta. I really want to share it with my father since he sometimes doesn't understand why I try so hard to understand others' viewpoints (and often is irritated by it), but am afraid he will use it against me since I'm always saying we should try to be logical.

Maybe I am being immature.

Welcome!