Goodbye Jesus

Did Jesus Exist?

MQTA

Are you asking me to reply to a 15 page essay, with footnote references and a complete bibliography of all my critiques?  I'm sorry my friend, but a scholarly rebuttal would take days, and I’m not going to invest that kind of time.  People asked for my objections and I have given them.  I will however provide you with some general sources that you can use to verify my assertions.
I'm waiting...
First of all you need to realize that our understanding of Classical Polytheism is extremely limited.  (a) The so called Mystery Cults were highly secretive.  ( B) Most (but not all) of the Mithraic data extant is iconographic, not inscriptional.  This means we need to interpret the meaning, which is incredibly speculative and difficult.  To this day we still don't even know for certain what the depiction of Mithra slaying the bull represents.  If you ask 10 different Classical scholars you will likely get at least 5 different answers.  So that's the lay of the land, just for the record.  You may believe me or disbelieve me at your discretion.  Many skeptics claim to be interested in the truth, well if you do some research you will discover that what I am telling you is the “truth” as far as modern (post 1960) Mithraic scholarship is concerned.
Which doesn't change the fact that Mithraism was a recognised military religion in 67BC.

Aww... did I not fall for your red herring?

Honestly, where are you getting your information because most of it is highly inaccurate.
Assertion, with no evidence to back it up...

Or in other words... Put up or shut up.

You are basing your conceptions on what Dr. Cumont proposed in 1903, which has been overturned by an overwhelming scholarly consensus in the last four decades.  He took the Persian-Roman equivalency as the premise for his entire body of work.  But since his publication of Textes et monuments figures relatifs aux mysteres de Mithra in 1896, his theory has been seriously challenged, and today it is considered to be overturned.

The most exhaustive critiques of his work are:

Beck, R.  Planetary Gods and Planetary Orders of the Mysteries of Mithras.  "Etudes Preacuteliminaires aux Religions Orientales dans l'Empire Romain" Vol. 9 (Leiden, 1988).

Bianchi, U., ed. et al.  La Soteriologia dei Culti Orientali Nell'impero Romano (Leiden, 1982).

Hinnells, J., ed. "Mithraic Studies." II vols. (Manchester, 1975).

As far as popular publications go, this is probably your best single resource:

Clauss, Manfred.  The Roman Cult of Mithras: The God and His Mysteries (Edinburgh U. Press, 2000).

And the rest of the sources I mentioned? Oh, didn't you notice that I used MORE THAN ONE SOURCE?

Attempting to discredit one source is futile when there are more than one being used.

You are correct in part, but your understanding of Egyptian polytheism needs correction.  The Isis-Osiris cult (and indeed Egyptian religion in general) was not a monolithic entity, there were regional variations that were not only accepted, but encouraged.  In some traditions Isis was the mother of Horus, in others Hathor was the mother of Horus, in some traditions she was the wife of Horus, in others she was the wife of Osiris.  But the major legend, typically referred to as the "Legend of Osiris and Isis" involves Osiris dying (as you said being cut up) and Isis piecing him back together so she can have sex with his phallus and produce the son Horus.

Two standard texts you might try that will help clear up the confusion:

Shafer, Byron E., ed.  Religion in Ancient Egypt: Gods, Myths, and Personal Practice (Cornell U. Press, 1991).

Budge, E. A. Wallis.  Egyptian Religion: Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life - Library of the Mystic Arts (Citadel Press, 1991).

Nope... The major legend, and indeed the one that was accepted overall, is that Isis buried each part as she came upon it...

Which is why Osiris has 14 different graves... according the the legend. (P.s. acording to the legend, the only part she couldn't find was the Phallus... there is an alternative legend that states she DID sew him back up, but had to fashion a phallus out of wood, which was infused with Osiris's power and impregnated her... still leaves her a virgin.)

The other problem, and you didn't notice it even though I mentioned it, is that Horus was born while Osiris was dead but BEFORE he was torn to pieces... The legend clearly shows that she went on TWO searches for his body, both taking many years, and that Horus was an infant at the end of the first search.

How Isis could give birth to a child before she was impregnated is a problem that your claim introduces.

I understand that there are a tremendous number of pop-culture books out there; the Christ Conspiracy, Sixteen Crucified Saviors, et al.  Some of them make good, valid points.  But unfortunately, most of them are FAR too liberal with their interpretations.  Only a handful of them are scholarly.  See: Price, Wells, and Hoffmann for criticisms that are at least made in an academic manner.

I'm very sorry, but most of it is not.  Strangely enough, the author did not mention the Phoenician deity Melqart, which was in fact a dying savior god.  But that is a separate issue.

99414[/snapback]

Believe me, nothing you've come out with is scholarly... Hell, nothing you've come out with is really worth the effort of replying to, it being a mish-mash of opinionated clap-trap. But, I'm bored, so I've made the effort...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mythra

• MQTA

• Amanda

• Ouroboros

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Mithraism died out in the 5th century, and the vatican has been a papal residence also since the 5th century, how did this inscription end up underneath the vatican in the 11th century? 

I think you better check your sources better.

99421[/snapback]

Sheesh... didn't you know that he's completely right? Anything that doesn't agree must be from discredited sources.

I suppose that would include reality...

Since Mithraism died out in the 5th century, and the vatican has been a papal residence also since the 5th century, how did this inscription end up underneath the vatican in the 11th century? 

I think you better check your sources better.

99421[/snapback]

With all due respect, I think you will find that it is your sources which are mistaken.

The original source for that quote is The Jesus Mysteries: Was the Original Jesus a Pagan God? by Freke and Gandy. On page 49 of their book they produce that quote as follows:

An inscription reads:

He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made one with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation.

In the endnote for this quotation [endnote 183] they cite Mystery Religions in the Ancient World by Joscelyn Godwin as their source. They cite page 28 of his book if you'd like to check. Unfortunately for their readers, Godwin does not attribute that saying to Mithra, nor does he imply that it was underneath the Vatican. What I'm saying, and what Vermaseren says in his book The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World is that the origin of that saying does not come from an inscription, but rather from an 11th century Persian text.

I have two of the books in front of me, so I'm not making this up. I would recommend that those of you who want to know the truth behind this issue either purchase these three books, or check them out of your local library. You will find that what I am saying is correct. That quotation is from a medieval Persian text, therefore if we are going to talk about borrowing, wouldn't it be more likely to be in the other direction?

I think too many of you are not treating what you read online critically. By all means, check up on my sources and see for yourself. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

(IN NEARLY EVERY CASE THIS IS AN INACCURATE STATEMENT:  LET’S LOOK AT THREE OF THE AUTHORS THAT ARE QUOTED MOST FREQUENTLY.  ACHARYA S. HAS AN UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE IN CLASSICS; EARL DOHERTY HAS AN UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE IN ANCIENT HISTORY; AND DR. WELLS IS A PROFESSOR OF GERMAN STUDIES.  NOT ONE OF THEM CAN BE ACCURATELY REFERRED TO AS A “HIGHLY QUALIFIED” BIBLICAL SCHOLARS HERE.)

99382[/snapback]

You're information is a bit incomplete.

Acharya S received an undergraduate degree in Classics, Greek Civilization, from Franklin & Marshall College. She is a member of the institute for the study of Ancient Greek Civilization, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Greece. She was accepted in 2005 as a fellow of the Committee for the Scientific Examination of Religion.

Doherty has a degree in Ancient History and Classical Languages.

G.A. Wells is a Emeritus Professor of German at the Birkbeck College, University of London, and is known as a New Testament scholar. Prof. Wells is a former Chairman of the Rationalist Press Association. He studied at the University of London and Bern, and holds degrees in German, philosophy, and natural science. He has taught German at London University since 1949, and has been Professor of German at Birkbeck College since 1968.

I don't think they're completely incompetent to do the necessary research for debunking Christianity's roots. You don't have to be the Pope to do it.

It's worse when apologists claim to have degrees they don't hold at all. Like Kent Hovind getting his from a degree mill.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/credentials.html

I'm waiting...Which doesn't change the fact that Mithraism was a recognised military religion in 67BC.

I have provided you with ample source material, if you choose not to check up on your own misunderstandings then that is your decision to make.

Or in other words... Put up or shut up.And the rest of the sources I mentioned? Oh, didn't you notice that I used MORE THAN ONE SOURCE?

Yes and many of them were based on discredited scholarship. Honestly, I'm not making this up. I'm not some nitwit fundamentalist here.

Attempting to discredit one source is futile when there are more than one being used.Nope... The major legend, and indeed the one that was accepted overall, is that Isis buried each part as she came upon it...

Honestly, I'm trying to help you correct your understanding here. Will you believe one of your own skeptical sources. Fine, a Wikipedia entry, the skeptics favorite source:

In the Ennead, Osiris is the husband of Isis, and sibling of Set, all of whom are the great-grandchildren of the creator god Atum, and Horus is not present within the system. In the Ogdoad, Osiris is not present within the system, and Horus is the husband of Isis, and son of Ra, the creator god. When the Ennead and Ogdoad merged, Ra and Atum were identified as one-another, becoming Atum-Ra, and Horus was initially considered the fifth sibling of Osiris, Isis, Nebet Het (Nephthys), and Set. However, Horus's mother, Hathor, gradually became identified as a form of Isis, leading to Horus becoming said to be Isis' son, and therefore the son of Osiris.

As Osiris was the god of the land of the dead, a legend grew up seeking to explain how Osiris could father a son who was very demonstrably alive (Horus was originally the god of the sky) with his wife, who was also very much a part of the land of the living. So it became said that Osiris died, thus being able to be lord of the dead, but his wife, with the magical powers that Isis was believed to possess, resurrected him for long enough to have sex, resulting in the birth of Horus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Osiris_and_Isis

Now do you believe me, or are you going to be skeptical of the skeptics now? Do yourself a favor, read the criticisms of Cumont's work and then perhaps we'll be on the same page. But it doesn't seem like you are willing to dig in for yourself, so I suppose we'll need to resort to more web links (although you are already getting entirely too much information off the web!):

Apparently refuted and out-of-date; exercise caution, February 23, 2001

Reviewer: Geoff Puterbaugh (Chiang Mai, T. Suthep, A. Muang Thailand) - See all my reviews

Cumont's entire account of Roman Mithraism is based on the supposedly-obvious idea that Roman Mithraism arose from Persian or Iranian religion, in some important sense. Cumont took this relationship as a given fact, and worked on from there.

In recent years, scholars have asked the question again: is there any relationship between this Roman cult and Iranian Zoroastrianism? Many unique, all-important markers of Roman Mithraism (no female members allowed, total secrecy, the central symbol of Mithras killing the bull) simply have NO counterpart in the Iranian religions, while the important aspects of Iranian religions are likewise missing from the Roman cult (no mention of Ahura Mazda or Ahriman, for example!)

As a result, one must read Cumont with one eye always open to the alarming possibility that the book is entirely wrong-headed!

Was this review helpful to you?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Believe me, nothing you've come out with is scholarly... Hell, nothing you've come out with is really worth the effort of replying to, it being a mish-mash of opinionated clap-trap. But, I'm bored, so I've made the effort...

Honestly, you are being very close-minded. This is what I'm used to dealing with when I talk to fundamentalists of my own religion. I was expecting more open minded individuals here. Do what you will with this information, I have tried to help you navigate through this minefield of misinformation (on both the Christian and Skeptic ends), but if you are going to be hostile towards me, then perhaps I should move on.

You're information is a bit incomplete.

Acharya S received an undergraduate degree in Classics, Greek Civilization, from Franklin & Marshall College. She is a member of the institute for the study of Ancient Greek Civilization, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Greece. She was accepted in 2005 as a fellow of the Committee for the Scientific Examination of Religion.

Doherty has a degree in Ancient History and Classical Languages.

G.A. Wells is a Emeritus Professor of German at the Birkbeck College, University of London, and is known as a New Testament scholar. Prof. Wells is a former Chairman of the Rationalist Press Association. He studied at the University of London and Bern, and holds degrees in German, philosophy, and natural science. He has taught German at London University since 1949, and has been Professor of German at Birkbeck College since 1968.

My information was incomplete (because I was trying to keep my remarks as short as possible, not write three in-depth bio's of the authors) but as you have demonstrated, it was accurate. If my information was accurate, what exactly is the problem?

I don't think they're completely incompetent to do the necessary research for debunking Christianity's roots. You don't have to be the Pope to do it.

No but they are not "well respected Biblical scholars" either as they were described.

It's worse when apologists claim to have degrees they don't hold at all. Like Kent Hovind getting his from a degree mill.

Kent Hovind is a fool. There are far too many fools in the corridors of Christian Apologia.

I have provided you with ample source material, if you choose not to check up on your own misunderstandings then that is your decision to make.
I checked... Mithraism was in existence in the Roman Empire in 67 BC. You doubted that it was in existence before Christianity was. You claimed that this showed that Christianity was there first.

The evidence has proven you wrong and no amount of waffle on your part is going to change that fact.

Not really much misunderstanding on my side here...

Yes and many of them were based on discredited scholarship.  Honestly, I'm not making this up.  I'm not some nitwit fundamentalist here.
THEN PROVE IT! It's no good just claiming it, try proving it...

After all, you want to be believed when you say you're not just making it up...

Honestly, I'm trying to help you correct your understanding here.  Will you believe one of your own skeptical sources.  Fine, a Wikipedia entry, the skeptics favorite source:
Aww... only able to quote a part that agrees with you?

At the time the myth initially developed, it was believed that the gods had emerged from under the acacia tree owned by Iusaaset, Atum's shadow, requiring an explanation of how Horus came to be born at the tree. Thus the original form of the myth states that Osiris was killed by a wooden sarcophagus secretly being made to his measurements, and then a party held where the coffin was offered to whoever it fitted. A few people tried to fit in, but to no avail, until Osiris was encouraged to try, who, as soon as he lay back, had the lid slammed on him and it sealed closed. The coffin was thrown into a river, causing Osiris to drown, but the coffin eventually was rescued by Isis and Nepthys, who used magic to bring life to Osiris/Horus inside. The coffin sprouted greenery, eventually turning into an acacia tree, from which the newly young Horus emerged.

Oh look... now we've even got a father/son as one deal, along with a ressurection.

Note how there is no "torn apart" in there, nor any "brought to life and shagged"... but you have managed to draw attention to yet another common theme between Osiris and Jesus.

Aren't you trying to show that they don't have any common themes?

Now do you believe me, or are you going to be skeptical of the skeptics now?
I'm skeptical of everyone... until they can provide backing evidence, and even then I take it with a pinch of salt.

As it is, you're not even giving evidences, just opinions...

Do yourself a favor, read the criticisms of Cumont's work and then perhaps we'll be on the same page.  But it doesn't seem like you are willing to dig in for yourself, so I suppose we'll need to resort to more web links (although you are already getting entirely too much information off the web!):
You mean like this one?

A Towering Intellect in the Field of Mithraic Studies, September 12, 2005

Reviewer: nhprman (NH, USA) - See all my reviews

Franz Cumont is a scholar who spent his entire life studying Mithras, and one which students of the New Age have been trying to "refute," debunk and reinterpret for a generation. However, Cumont remains the towering figure in the field of Mithraic research.

This 1956 work is a copy of a 1903 Dover book, which itself was a boiled-down English translation of a far larger, 2-volume French-language work published decades before in Cumont's native Belgium. Cumont surveyed literally thousands of fragments from Mithraea, the ancient worship centers of the Mithraic religion.

While certainly more examples of Mithraic art and Mithraea have been found since then, his work provides a baseline from which we can begin to see a faith travel from people to people, continent to continent over many generations.

That's where the New Agers come in. Blatant attempts underway to create a "Wiccan" version of Mithraism (the latest being a ludicrous book by P. Nabarz,) or to "prove" that ancient Mithras worshippers were obsessed with the stars and little else (see Berkeley prof. Ulansey) or to sever the Persian Mithras from later, Roman worshippers, are all transparent reinterpretations of history.

Whether this is based on the need to see Mithras as relevant to the current "witch craze" and Earth-centered pagan thinking, or simply ways to cash in on a genuinely mysterious divinity by holding fancy conferences and seminars in which "new" theories are proposed, I don't know.

Whatever the reasons, I would steer clear of the Wiccanizers and innovators, and stick with Franz Cumont.

Are you really trying, or are you just grabbing the first thing to hand that agrees with you?

Honestly, you are being very close-minded.  This is what I'm used to dealing with when I talk to fundamentalists of my own religion.  I was expecting more open minded individuals here.  Do what you will with this information, I have tried to help you navigate through this minefield of misinformation (on both the Christian and Skeptic ends), but if you are going to be hostile towards me, then perhaps I should move on.

99431[/snapback]

By all means move on... the fact that you've been proven wrong on so many things must be embarrassing for you.

The additional fact that you didn't find any gullible fools that you could wow with your idiocy will only be an additional incentive for you to shove off...

My information was incomplete (because I was trying to keep my remarks as short as possible, not write three in-depth bio's of the authors) but as you have demonstrated, it was accurate.  If my information was accurate, what exactly is the problem?
Little tip... Incomplete means that it's not accurate...
No but they are not "well respected Biblical scholars" either as they were described.
"generally written by highly qualified biblical scholars"

Doesn't say that the three you singled out were "well respected"... you've got to admit there's some highly qualified biblical scholars in the list given.

Isn't it fun when you get caught out using a strawman?

Kent Hovind is a fool.  There are far too many fools in the corridors of Christian Apologia.

99432[/snapback]

Yes... so why are you using their tactics?

As I have alread noted, the Mithra cult is of great antiquity. However it did not come to Rome until relatively late, and we have very little data to speculate as to what the original tenets of the religion were. Most of our data comes from the 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D.

After all, you want to be believed when you say you're not just making it up...Aww... only able to quote a part that agrees with you?

At the time the myth initially developed, it was believed that the gods had emerged from under the acacia tree owned by Iusaaset, Atum's shadow, requiring an explanation of how Horus came to be born at the tree. Thus the original form of the myth states that Osiris was killed by a wooden sarcophagus secretly being made to his measurements, and then a party held where the coffin was offered to whoever it fitted. A few people tried to fit in, but to no avail, until Osiris was encouraged to try, who, as soon as he lay back, had the lid slammed on him and it sealed closed. The coffin was thrown into a river, causing Osiris to drown, but the coffin eventually was rescued by Isis and Nepthys, who used magic to bring life to Osiris/Horus inside. The coffin sprouted greenery, eventually turning into an acacia tree, from which the newly young Horus emerged.

Oh look... now we've even got a father/son as one deal, along with a ressurection.

If you recall, regarding Egyptian religion I wrote: The Isis-Osiris cult (and indeed Egyptian religion in general) was not a monolithic entity, there were regional variations that were not only accepted, but encouraged. Yes, there are variations to nearly all of their legends, as I said. And obviously I wasn't trying to hide anything from you as I provided you a link to the page! I'm beginning to wonder why you are such a hostile individual. Again, if I have offended you please accept my apologies.

Note how there is no "torn apart" in there, nor any "brought to life and shagged"... but you have managed to draw attention to yet another common theme between Osiris and Jesus.

Aren't you trying to show that they don't have any common themes?I'm skeptical of everyone... until they can provide backing evidence, and even then I take it with a pinch of salt.

As it is, you're not even giving evidences, just opinions...You mean like this one?

A Towering Intellect in the Field of Mithraic Studies, September 12, 2005

Reviewer: nhprman (NH, USA) - See all my reviews

Franz Cumont is a scholar who spent his entire life studying Mithras, and one which students of the New Age have been trying to "refute," debunk and reinterpret for a generation. However, Cumont remains the towering figure in the field of Mithraic research.

This 1956 work is a copy of a 1903 Dover book, which itself was a boiled-down English translation of a far larger, 2-volume French-language work published decades before in Cumont's native Belgium. Cumont surveyed literally thousands of fragments from Mithraea, the ancient worship centers of the Mithraic religion.

While certainly more examples of Mithraic art and Mithraea have been found since then, his work provides a baseline from which we can begin to see a faith travel from people to people, continent to continent over many generations.

That's where the New Agers come in. Blatant attempts underway to create a "Wiccan" version of Mithraism (the latest being a ludicrous book by P. Nabarz,) or to "prove" that ancient Mithras worshippers were obsessed with the stars and little else (see Berkeley prof. Ulansey) or to sever the Persian Mithras from later, Roman worshippers, are all transparent reinterpretations of history.

Whether this is based on the need to see Mithras as relevant to the current "witch craze" and Earth-centered pagan thinking, or simply ways to cash in on a genuinely mysterious divinity by holding fancy conferences and seminars in which "new" theories are proposed, I don't know.

Whatever the reasons, I would steer clear of the Wiccanizers and innovators, and stick with Franz Cumont.

Are you really trying, or are you just grabbing the first thing to hand that agrees with you?

By all means move on... the fact that you've been proven wrong on so many things must be embarrassing for you.

The additional fact that you didn't find any gullible fools that you could wow with your idiocy will only be an additional incentive for you to shove off...

99448[/snapback]

Son, listen. Obviously I wasn't trying to hide other reviews from you, again, I SENT YOU THE LINK REMEMBER? Clearly I wanted you to follow it. However, I chose the viewpoint that I think most represented the current scholarly consensus on the Mithra issue. If you would but check the primary source materials I gave you, then you would perhaps understand. I don't appreciate the way you are treating me in this discussion, and I would kindly ask that you refrain from doing so in the future.

I think perhaps you are correct. I came with good intentions, hoping to discuss some issues with open minded individuals. Instead you have repeatedly insulted me, and subjected me to your angry tirades. I feel as though I am trying to conduct a discussion with atheist versions of ken hovind or jpholding.

Farewell, and good luck to everyone. A warm thank you to those who accepted me into your community during my brief stay here.

Notice how this guy backs up on whether or not Mithraism preceded Christianity amongst the Romans.

First, he says, "it is not at all clear that Mithraism preceded Christianity".

Then, when Crazy Tiger points to 67 BCE as a date that we knew for sure it existed among Roman soldiers, Abram changes his statement to "it came to us relatively late"

Crazy Tiger is correct. In 67 BCE there was a congregation of Mithras-worshipping soldiers who served under General Pompey. They were the Legio XV Apollinaris, or the fifteenth Apollonian Legion. They were involved in suppressing the jewish uprising, and they later accompanied Emperor Titus to Alexandria.

I turned the other cheek, but God called out to me and ask me to suffer your slings and arrows further. So I'm going to do the best I can to deal with the abuse here, at least for tonight.

First, he says, "it is not at all clear that Mithraism preceded Christianity".

Then, when Crazy Tiger points to 67 BCE as a date that we knew for sure it existed among Roman soldiers, Abram changes his statement to "it came to us relatively late"

It's not that Mythra, I was trying to keep the discussion relatively simple. The truth is, I don't think it's at all clear that the Roman Mithraism that we are discussing (with bread and wine parallels, etc.) preceeded Christianity. Persian Mithraism most certainly did.

But if you want to get into a more complex debate on this issue, we can do so. First of all let's talk about building a relative chronology for Mithraism in the Roman Empire. What is the first piece of primary evidence that might lead us to conclude that it goes as far back as 67 B.C.?

Here is a pretty good (not too long) article about Mithraism and Christianity which pokes holes in most everything that Abram said about it.

I either gotta protect this one, or change my user name.

Here is a pretty good (not too long) article about Mithraism and Christianity which pokes holes in most everything that Abram said about it.

I either gotta protect this one, or change my user name.

99485[/snapback]

Just as an aside, I'm always very skeptical of articles that don't have footnotes or references.

Romans usually called Mithras “Sol Dominus Invictus.” Roman writers believed that Mithraism came from Persia and that Mithraic iconography represented Persian mythology. From this beginning modern scholars have traced Mithras in Persian, Mittanian and Indian mythology. The Mitanni gave us the first written reference to Mithras in a treaty with the Hittites. Mithras is celebrated in the Zoroastrian Yashts or hymns of the Sassanian (224-640 AD) Avesta, a book which preserved old oral traditions. Mithras was a Persian saviour, whose cult was the leading rival of Christianity in Rome, and more successful than Christianity in the first four centuries of the Christian era.

Pop Quiz: And how ancient are the oldest extant copies of the Avesta? Anyone?

go ahead and be skeptical. :shrug: Looks pretty scholarly to me.

The only thing you may be right about is my "inscription" not being an inscription underneath the vatican. Don't know where Freke and Gandy got that. But if it is, I'll find it. As you know, I didn't make it up.

But if you want to get into a more complex debate on this issue, we can do so.  First of all let's talk about building a relative chronology for Mithraism in the Roman Empire.  What is the first piece of primary evidence that might lead us to conclude that it goes as far back as 67 B.C.?

99479[/snapback]

You don't want to debate me. I'm just a chop. You need to debate Heimdall or AUB. They'll give you a run for your money. And they won't hurt your feelings, like we do.

You may have a masters from Harvard, Abram. Or you may be jerkin our chains.

But I'll have you know that I graduated Sum Cum Loud from the school of hard knocks, and you seem a little kooky in your beliefs..

Pop Quiz:  And how ancient are the oldest extant copies of the Avesta?  Anyone?

99490[/snapback]

1278 AD?

1278 AD?

99496[/snapback]

I think we have a winner!! *ding ding ding ding*

I think we have a winner!! *ding ding ding ding*

99498[/snapback]

What do I get Bob?

What do I get Bob?

99499[/snapback]

Respect, which is more than a few of our in house skeptics have earned today.

Respect, which is more than a few of our in house skeptics have earned today.

99500[/snapback]

Well thank you :wicked:

I have studied Mithraism for myself some time ago and even gave my son a homework lesson on it (since he didn't go to church that day with his father).

I turned the other cheek, but God called out to me and ask me to suffer your slings and arrows further.  So I'm going to do the best I can to deal with the abuse here, at least for tonight.

Surely, God can enable you to "suffer" more than just one night, no?

Where's your fancy Biblical Armor™? :shrug:

:lmao:

Surely, God can enable you to "suffer" more than just one night, no?

Where's your fancy Biblical Armor?  :shrug:

:lmao:

99509[/snapback]

It's Whole Armor of God.

Few writers mention the cult. The evidence for it is mostly archaeological—the remains of mithraic temples, monumental inscriptions, the iconography of the god and sculptures, sculpted reliefs, wall paintings and mosaics.

Since I have been accused of being wrong about just about everything I said about the Cult of Mithras, let's engage the issue in closer detail:

First of all you need to realize that our understanding of Classical Polytheism is extremely limited. (a) The so called Mystery Cults were highly secretive. ( B) Most (but not all) of the Mithraic data extant is iconographic, not inscriptional. This means we need to interpret the meaning, which is incredibly speculative and difficult. To this day we still don't even know for certain what the depiction of Mithra slaying the bull represents. If you ask 10 different Classical scholars you will likely get at least 5 different answers. So that's the lay of the land, just for the record. You may believe me or disbelieve me at your discretion. Many skeptics claim to be interested in the truth, well if you do some research you will discover that what I am telling you is the “truth” as far as modern (post 1960) Mithraic scholarship is concerned.

If Mithras had Iranian roots then the Roman cult of Mithraism must have begun in the east of the Roman empire and spread by soldiers, eastern merchants—called "Syrians"and slaves, in the middle of the first century BC.

Why must it have originated in the 1st century B.C.? Do we have carbon dates? Paleographic dates of texts or inscriptions? Reliable, second hand attestation from multiple authors of antiquity?

Roman soldiers met worshippers of the god, Mithras, in the provinces to the east of the empire, adjacent to Persia, and Plutarch confirms that Mithraism entered the Empire from Persia when Pompey's Roman soldiers encountered pirates from Cilicia—the home in Asia Minor of Paul the apostle—practising the "secret rites of Mithras" and were impressed by the god's high precepts.

Plutarch lived from the middle of the 1st century A.D. until the early 2nd century A.D. Does he indicate the time period that the cult of Mithras arose in Rome? Why doesn’t this essay indicate which of Plutarch’s multiple Lives volumes that this is excerpted from? If this is a proper essay, why isn’t there a proper reference so we can peer review the information? We also have to remember to treat Plutarch’s information critically, because let’s face it, this is the same guy who wrote biographies of mythical figures such as Heracles and Romulus.

Christians, desperate to make Mithraism dependent on Christianity, insist that it only started in the second half of the first century AD, despite Plutarch's plain statement. Since he lived at this very time, he can hardly have thought a new Roman fad was over a century old.

We also need to take into consideration that nearly all of our archaeological evidence from the cult of Mithras dates from the middle of the second century A.D. onward. And it is quite plausible that the religion had changed considerably from its alleged founding in the first century B.C. until the second century when it undoubtedly began to interact with Christianity. Typically, in situations when our archaeological data is does not quite match up with our textual data, and when the textual data is from a lone, somewhat questionable source, we tend to treat the archaeological data as the primary source and the textual evidence as a secondary source.

So essentially we can say that we KNOW that the Mithras cult of Rome began at least as early as ca. 150 A.D., and possibly dates back as far as the first century B.C.E.

Mythra has asserted that my previous statement “it is not at all clear that Mithraism preceded Christianity" was incorrect. He also stated:

Then, when Crazy Tiger points to 67 BCE as a date that we knew for sure it existed among Roman soldiers,

As I think it is now clear, my initial statement was accurate. Crazy Tiger’s statement may be accurate, but we cannot “know for sure” as he put it, that the cult of Mithras dates back to 67 B.C. All we have is the word of a Roman author who was writing 100-150 years after the fact. An author who wrote a biography of two mythical figures, Heracles and Romulus. We have to ask ourselves, where did he get his information? Was he relying on hearsay? Perhaps from folk traditions that had sprung up from the soldiers? Was it accurate? Was it someone’s best guess?

We must be critical here, because frankly, as those of you who regularly engage the writings of antiquity will know, it was not uncommon for writers to wildly speculate as to the origins of people, places, and religious systems. For example, Tacitus, writing ca. 110 A.D. speculated that the Jews were “fugitives from the island of Crete, who settled on the nearest coast of Africa about the time when Saturn was driven from his throne by the power of Jupiter”, or that perhaps they were “of Ethiopian origin, who in the time of king Cepheus were driven by fear and hatred of their neighbors to seek a new dwelling place.”1 He then goes on to further speculate that “a disease, which horribly disfigured the body, broke out over Egypt; that king Bocchoris, seeking a remedy…was bidden to cleanse his realm, and to convey into some foreign land this race…Moyses, wishing to secure for the future his authority over the nation, gave them a novel form of worship…”2

If we weren’t reading this critically, we might be inclined to take Tacitus’ speculations as being true, and believe that the Israelites were a Late Bronze Age I civilization that migrated out of Egypt. However, when we examine the archaeological evidence, we find that the Exodus tradition is not plausible because out “of the more than forty sites that the biblical texts claim were conquered, no more than two or three of those that have been archaeological investigated are even potential candidates for such an Israelite destruction.”3 Instead, the archaeological evidence suggests that early Israelites appear to have been an Iron Age I civilization that was native to Canaan.4 Thus if we had used Tacitus’ statements to assign a date to the origin of the Israelite culture we would have been perhaps as much as 300-500 years off the mark.

What is the point I am trying to make? That when it comes to ancient Near Eastern history, we need to be very conservative about assigning dates based solely on limited textual evidence. Therefore, it is more scholarly of us to date the birth of the Roman Cult of Mithras to no later than ca. 150 A.D., and potentially as early as ca. 50-60 B.C. Perhaps now Crazy Tiger and Mythra have a better understanding of why it is sometimes easier for those of us who engage in this sort of analysis on a regular basis to use vague language in regards to setting dates that penetrate deep into antiquity, where oftentimes the available data is fragmentary and obscure to say the least. It is not that we are avoiding the issue, but rather that when we are trying to have a friendly, casual discussion on a Sunday evening at 9pm, we’d rather not have to type out a three page essay with four footnotes merely to support our dating of an obscure, extinct Roman cult group. That’s why we refer laypeople to published papers, journals, and books that have already done the work for us…

1. Tacitus. Complete Works of Tacitus. Hadas, Moses, trans. (Toronto: McGraw-Hill, 1942), History 5.2, pg. 658.

2. Tacitus. Complete Works of Tacitus. Hadas, Moses, trans. (Toronto: McGraw-Hill, 1942), History 5.3-4, pg. 658-59.

3. Denver, William G. Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From? (Grand Rapids: W.B.E. Publishing, 2003), pg. 71.

4. Denver, William G. Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From? (Grand Rapids: W.B.E. Publishing, 2003), pg. 217.