Goodbye Jesus

God Is Great?

Darklady

For the last eight days I have watched the search for survivors from the earthquake in my hometown, listened to the horrific stories of loss and narrow escape. Its been so heart wrenching, friends and family are suffering, but the response from all over the world has been amazing.

But today, I am angry, a service in Westminster Abbey,England, 1000s attending and there they are, singing how great is our god.

god is great? Over 200 hundred dead, people left without limbs, sons, mothers, daughters, fathers, left without their loved ones, - god is great?

natural disasters are not uncommon, some with massive death tolls, others with little loss of life, but they all are just that, natural. If not natural, what are they? A game played by a cruel and uncaring god, a punishment on the faithful and unfaithful in equal measure? Why?

I find it hard to bare, listening to people say how great is god, when lives are in ruin, when my hometown is broken and bleeding.

god is not

not great

not good

not fair

not there

• Like 4

Well said. I don't know what else to say except my heart goes out to you, and all the people who are suffering right now because of this quake.

I am so sorry' , Darklady, that you have to go through this natural disaster. It must be so hard when it's this close to home. I hate that we humans, animals and all other living creatures have to suffer. Sometimes by the hand of 'man' and sometimes, nature.

Yes, Nature can be so beautiful and cruel at the same time.

My summary for God is:

1.god is all powerful?

2.god is all good and loving?

3.suffering exists.

4.there is no god.

People are in so much denial and are so brainwashed that nothing can convince them god is not great.

Kill, death hate, God is great! Kill death hate, God is great!

"I AM THE THIRD REVELATION!"

I am so sorry for what you're going through! And I agree. My brother got back from Afghanistan last summer (he's in the Army) and one of our more annoying cousins the other day asked him about when he was going back and could she pray for him. He said 'no.' She probably still will but frankly I'm surprised she even asked.

With all this pain and suffering I don't see how any god could exist, especially one who claims to be all good and just and merciful. I just don't see it.

What frosts my ass is when they say, "It's all a part of God's plan." If so, then he's one sadistic sonofabitch.

Here's a great bit of film that addresses that very point (based apparently on a true story witnessed by Holocaust surivior Elie Wiesel):

Ive never seen that before, it was really good. Thanks.

(((((DarkLady))))) :(

Yes, Nature can be so beautiful and cruel at the same time.

Heh. Reminds me of a quote from a book I re-read yesterday... a quote summing it up nicely (though not very kind).

"...Roi knew that he had made many mistakes. But he also knew that all this was meaningless from now on. Even the right to live, for there are no rights in nature, only phenomenons. Everything else was subjective..." (Thoughts of a dying man, translation mine)

Is nature cruel? From our perspective, damn often indeed. But who are we to judge the entire universe?

My summary for God is:

1.god is all powerful?

2.god is all good and loving?

3.suffering exists.

4.there is no god.

...to which the morontheists will shout at the top of their lungs "You can't prove a negative" blah yadda... and they will ignore the fact that even though that is technically true, it still rules out any interventionist deity - like their sadistic monster jehoover supposedly is.

They lose. As always.

What frosts my ass is when they say, "It's all a part of God's plan." If so, then he's one sadistic sonofabitch.

Ah yes, that one. When pressed on that they'll reply that "gawd works in mysterious ways". Oh right, but you still know exactly that the bastard is great and loving and all that eh?

And to that bit there will never be any meaningful answer from them.

Yeah, you're better off not trying to make any sense of this life. It'll get ya every time. The Hindu gods make more sense to me: Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva. Creator, Preserver, Destroyer.

I'm not an expert on religion in general but I have the suspicion that any polytheistic faith makes more sense than the abrahamic crap. Evil, suffering et al can (IMHO) easily make sense if you assume that there are several Divine entities who don't always agree on everything. Just assign the polar opposites to different deities and declare they don't like each other ;)