Goodbye Jesus

She Just Does It To Drive Me Nuts

par4dcourse

I tried out the new little Fender Mustang. Mimics 24 basic amp sounds and 24 onboard effects plus USB interface to design your own. For 100 bucks I'm impressed.

Wow a digital mpdeling amp for $100, cool! I hope the tube amps get cheaper too.

Personally I'd spend a little more and get an Valve Jr, or something comparable in that price range. You could probably get one used (people sell them on craigslist all the time) for about $125. The sound you get from that will blow away any digital modeling. Tube amps cab be copied but digital can never capture the magic. You can't hear it on youtube either.

A tube amp wiill be fuller and more soulful than digital. Especially with that bad-ass rocker you've got. Just my 2 cents.

Digital is catching up pretty quickly, though.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I tried out the new little Fender Mustang. Mimics 24 basic amp sounds and 24 onboard effects plus USB interface to design your own. For 100 bucks I'm impressed.

Wow a digital mpdeling amp for $100, cool! I hope the tube amps get cheaper too.

Personally I'd spend a little more and get an Valve Jr, or something comparable in that price range. You could probably get one used (people sell them on craigslist all the time) for about $125. The sound you get from that will blow away any digital modeling. Tube amps cab be copied but digital can never capture the magic. You can't hear it on youtube either.

A tube amp wiill be fuller and more soulful than digital. Especially with that bad-ass rocker you've got. Just my 2 cents.

It'll never sound the same. It can on an album, but not live. A good rock band will never use digital live unless they can't afford a real tube amp.

It'll never sound the same. It can on an album, but not live. A good rock band will never use digital live unless they can't afford a real tube amp.

I remember this same argument back in the 70s and 80s regarding reel-to-reel and LP versus newer technologies, now CDs and other digital media blow the old media out of the water.

I remember this same argument back in the 70s and 80s regarding reel-to-reel and LP versus newer technologies, now CDs and other digital media blow the old media out of the water.

Actually a lot of people prefer LP's over CD's. There's about 7 or 8 record stores in my little city, a lot of new music comes out on LP. Stereo junkie's who want the most uncolored and emotional sound pay big bucks for their turntables and tube amps,

I was a keyboardist professionally, and never wanted anything but clean dry amps (Fender Quad Reverb mostly.) For my guitar, I'm just sitting at home impressing myself and the grands mainly, so digital modeling works fine there .

To expound on the situation:

For those who don't know my situation, I live off disability (heart/diabetes) and she has been unemployed for a year and a half now. Money was tight even when both of us worked, so it's like a Playtex girdle now.

My first ever guitar was a similar hollow-body electric. I play several instruments, some of them adequately, but I have forgone actually owning any, except my battered old "Willy style" acoustic guitar.

Had it been clear at the onset that it was just a restoration project to be sold, I wouldn't have poured heart and soul (bad choice of words) into it. She's not the warm giving sort (at least where I'm concerned) and it was stupid of me to assume she had faltered. It was also silly of me to be hurt, but nonetheless............

Thanks to all who have/will comment(ed). The clown needs a pick-me-up sometimes.

Larry

Yeah, Larry. It's silly of you to be hurt. She bought you a nice guitar to fix up because she likes you. She doesn't want you to buy an amp because you're broke.

Wow, you are just a little ray of sunshine, aren't you? :HaHa:

I think thinking your wife buys you a guitar to drive you nuts is depressing. Believing she actually likes you IS an uplift, don't you think?

I think the audiophiles buying LP's instead of CD's are really wanting the lack of audio compression used on CD's. Uncompressed digital would no doubt sound the same. In theory, there is no reason why digital technology cannot sound the same as a tube amp, even live. I think currently, part of the problem with digital emulation of amplifiers is that you cannot replicate the power-stage interaction with the speaker. Solid-state amps generally have very high damping factor, and you do not want to overdrive the power stage too much. Speakers are a big part of any amp sound, but with a high damping factor, much of the character of a speaker is removed. The low damping factor of tube amps is a big part of tube sound, and digital preamps have no control over the damping factor of the power stage. Digital preamps matched with tube power amps might be good to go.

I was a keyboardist professionally, and never wanted anything but clean dry amps (Fender Quad Reverb mostly.) For my guitar, I'm just sitting at home impressing myself and the grands mainly, so digital modeling works fine there .

Neat! Play any 80's synth pop?

I'm amazed at the sounds you can get from a keyboard and computer now. I bought a little m-audio keyboard used for $80, just plug it in and you can make a movie soundtrack if you want to. With the sample software they have now you can have real horns, drums,violins, even chiors. crazy!

I think the audiophiles buying LP's instead of CD's are really wanting the lack of audio compression used on CD's. Uncompressed digital would no doubt sound the same. In theory, there is no reason why digital technology cannot sound the same as a tube amp, even live. I think currently, part of the problem with digital emulation of amplifiers is that you cannot replicate the power-stage interaction with the speaker. Solid-state amps generally have very high damping factor, and you do not want to overdrive the power stage too much. Speakers are a big part of any amp sound, but with a high damping factor, much of the character of a speaker is removed. The low damping factor of tube amps is a big part of tube sound, and digital preamps have no control over the damping factor of the power stage. Digital preamps matched with tube power amps might be good to go.

Not just audiophiles are listening to records though. Students, hipsters, musicians, music lovers in general listen to records all over nowadays. DJ's everywhere, even at heavy metal clubs regularly now,. Everybody seems to be spinning SL-1200 mk II's nowadays.

In theory digital might work live, you'd just have to see by trying it. I think metal bands mght already be doing things like that, When I saw Mastodon and Dethklok though, it seemed like alot digital processing was going on, sounded like total shit to me. It was like a CD being played through a very loud, modern home theater amp..I don't know if anybody's noticed but, home theater sounds like garbage, it's so obnoxiously abrasive it's unlistenable.

• Super Moderator

I have to admit, I'm no audiophile, but I do have a thing for vinyl. I have a 1970's era Rock-Ola 470 jukebox that plays 45's. I love it! Brings me back to the days of my youth......... PageofCupsBounce99.gif

Jukebox 009.jpg

I've been enjoying reading this conversation and have now contributed my two cents. Carry on ...... LeslieWave.gif

For those who don't know my situation, I live off disability (heart/diabetes) and she has been unemployed for a year and a half now. Money was tight even when both of us worked, so it's like a Playtex girdle now.

My first ever guitar was a similar hollow-body electric. I play several instruments, some of them adequately, but I have forgone actually owning any, except my battered old "Willy style" acoustic guitar.

Had it been clear at the onset that it was just a restoration project to be sold, I wouldn't have poured heart and soul (bad choice of words) into it. She's not the warm giving sort (at least where I'm concerned) and it was stupid of me to assume she had faltered. It was also silly of me to be hurt, but nonetheless............

Thanks to all who have/will comment(ed). The clown needs a pick-me-up sometimes.

Larry

Yeah, Larry. It's silly of you to be hurt. She bought you a nice guitar to fix up because she likes you. She doesn't want you to buy an amp because you're broke.

I think thinking your wife buys you a guitar to drive you nuts is depressing. Believing she actually likes you IS an uplift, don't you think?

My beliefs are dictated by reason, not wishful thinking.

I have to admit, I'm no audiophile, but I do have a thing for vinyl. I have a 1970's era Rock-Ola 470 jukebox that plays 45's. I love it! Brings me back to the days of my youth......... PageofCupsBounce99.gif

post-3593-0-96207100-1300041998_thumb.jpg

I've been enjoying reading this conversation and have now contributed my two cents. Carry on ...... LeslieWave.gif

My uncle has an old hand-cranked wind up record player that plays aluminum records.

Cool Jukebox, BF. MP3 players be damned!

Chosen, I played mostly classic rock. Some Chuck Leavell stuff, but I'm pretty good at scoring so I did a lot of string/horn section stuff that made the lead guitarist shine, which was key to band happiness.

My rack was a Roland JX-8P, S-50 sampler, and VK-8.

When you think about it, in all but the smallest venues, as soon as the sound wave leaves the amp, it is "sampled" by the instrument mic, then remixed and reamplified by the sound system, so only those onstage and in the line of fire ever hear the "true" amp sound.

I'm on the digital side, the less noise and distortion the better, even if it cuts into headroom a scosh.

Larry

My beliefs are dictated by reason, not wishful thinking.

Okie-doke.

Cool Jukebox, BF. MP3 players be damned!

Chosen, I played mostly classic rock. Some Chuck Leavell stuff, but I'm pretty good at scoring so I did a lot of string/horn section stuff that made the lead guitarist shine, which was key to band happiness.

My rack was a Roland JX-8P, S-50 sampler, and VK-8.

When you think about it, in all but the smallest venues, as soon as the sound wave leaves the amp, it is "sampled" by the instrument mic, then remixed and reamplified by the sound system, so only those onstage and in the line of fire ever hear the "true" amp sound.

I'm on the digital side, the less noise and distortion the better, even if it cuts into headroom a scosh.

Nice! Classic rock rules and I love the Roland analog synth sounds. Today alot of the new rock bands I like are influenced by late 70's power pop, classic rock and early punk. 'Fresh' is just taking old rock and making raw and exciting again.

You're right that only the people in the line of fire of the amp hear, it's weird how you see the most movement from the audience in those areas.

I have to admit, I'm no audiophile, but I do have a thing for vinyl. I have a 1970's era Rock-Ola 470 jukebox that plays 45's. I love it! Brings me back to the days of my youth.........

I'm so jealous! Party at your house!

Actually a lot of people prefer LP's over CD's. There's about 7 or 8 record stores in my little city, a lot of new music comes out on LP. Stereo junkie's who want the most uncolored and emotional sound pay big bucks for their turntables and tube amps,

I had a feeling as soon as I wrote that some smart-assed audiophile would come along and expose my ignorance. :D

I was a huge audiophile, living vicariously through stereo magazines when I was in Jr. High. That's 10 lifetimes ago in the tech world.

I had a feeling as soon as I wrote that some smart-assed audiophile would come along and expose my ignorance. :D

I was a huge audiophile, living vicariously through stereo magazines when I was in Jr. High. That's 10 lifetimes ago in the tech world.

I feel sorry for audiophile's wives. That's an expensive addiction. I was into it for awhile, then I realized all I wanted was the Klipsch sound.

I feel sorry for audiophile's wives. That's an expensive addiction. I was into it for awhile, then I realized all I wanted was the Klipsch sound.

I can't believe anyone buys this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-439&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=2818820

http://www.parts-exp...iewRand=2818820

But it has, and I quote, "Superior performance over standard receptacles". lmao_99.gif

http://www.parts-exp...iewRand=2818820

But it has, and I quote, "Superior performance over standard receptacles". lmao_99.gif

You should read the reviews.

Yeah, by cutting the lows, you eliminate a lot of intermodulation distortion that muddies up the sound of a high gain amp. When Kirk Hammett uses a tube screamer in front of an amp, he's basically using it as a treble booster, though I guess one might view that as a mid booster. Some guys suggest cutting frequencies below 400hz before distortion and about 1khz after distortion to remove some of the harshness caused by clipping. Of course, when you're overdriving a tube output stage, your speaker cab is cutting the highs (which is why hifi speakers sound like shit with guitar amps). When I use my Marshall Jackhammer or Boss DS-1 in front of my Valveking, I basically adjust the tone to boost the highs, turn up the volume, and turn down the gain, so most of my distortion is coming from tubes. Of course, the most your going to get with a regular distortion or booster pedal is a signal that approaches 9 Vpp because the supply voltage is 9V. This is still considerably more than what you get from guitar pickups. But, my booster uses two 9V for an 18V supply, and has enough gain to cleanly output somewhere arround 16Vpp. I know others do this as well, but most mass produced booster pedals use a 9V supply. I guess it's debatable whether or not one needs 16 or 17 Vpp output from a booster pedal, but I like it. Here's a version of my booster pedal without any bass cut: 18 V JFET Preamp . This has a flat frequency response. What I'm working on right now has a tone control between the two JFET stages. When I settle on the tone control I want, I'll post the schematic.

That's interesting. I always turn down the bass to about 4, put the mid at about 7 or 8 and the high at about 9. Also I raise the pickups, turn the volume on the guitar to about 9.5 and lower the gain on the amp. I always use the bridge pickup. I tried using a ts-9 booster but didn't like the sound, it seemed to ruin the tone. I like to be able to play a chord and hear all the notes. There needs to be a chime when you play the chord, like a chainsaw cutting. It almost sounds like console distortion, but with extra tone from the tubes and speakers..

Definitely post the schematic when you're done. I can't build it but have a friend who can.

Here's a link to the schematic: http://www.riemer.us/jfet-treble-booster/jfet-treble-booster . If you decide to build it, try putting it on a solderless breadboard first, with a metal enclosure of some sort to shield the circuit from noise. That way, you can decide if you like it before soldering it together permanently. Also, you can swap out different value capacitors and resistors to tailer the frequency response to your taste. Be sure to look at the previous link for info about selecting resistor values for the JFET stages. JFETs vary a bunch, and it's best to select resistors that best match each individual JFET. Also, it's good to select JFETs that will give you the gain you want without having too much gain in the first stage. You want a cutoff voltage of more than 1 V for the first JFET. Closer to 2 Volts is better. That way, if you have hot pickups, you won't overdrive the first stage, and you can use the gain control to determine if you want any overdrive. With an 18V supply voltage, it might not have any noticeable overdrive with full gain. That, of course, is ok, since you want your amp to be overdriven, and not really the booster pedal.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my Behringer adapter and Guitar Rig software long enough to have gotten used to them now. Wow! There's a few amp setups in there that sound very realistic, especially when tweaked (and I love to tweak.)

Walking the 'puter speaker system off my desk. Now where did I put that CS800?

I've had my Behringer adapter and Guitar Rig software long enough to have gotten used to them now. Wow! There's a few amp setups in there that sound very realistic, especially when tweaked (and I love to tweak.)

Walking the 'puter speaker system off my desk. Now where did I put that CS800?

Now imagine having your guitar hooked up to a laptop with the lap top piped into a PA. Much easier than miking an amp.

If I were in your shoes, that would be enough for me to discuss setting up separate bank accounts and splitting each and every bill right down the middle. You take care of your own money, she takes care of her own money, and you don't have to answer to anyone as long as you're paying your half fair and square.