Goodbye Jesus

Babies Die, But...

Max

OMG! I just saw this on the news not five minutes ago. There was a house fire in the area over the weekend, and a 10-month-old baby wasa killed. Really bad thing, right? The local news interviewed the family's pastor, who said, and I quote, "Bad things happen, but we do have an awesome god..."

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27089842/detail.html

His posture seems to say he realizes that this is an oxymoron, but he still managed to spit it out.

• Like 1

Of course he has to say that crap...party line that protects their imaginary world. Sad, very sad.

I am continually amazed at how educated, intelligent and emotionally stable people can keep that kind of wall up between rational thought/reason and their brand of theology.

I just recently had a very good friend (my age 60) who is a very educated professional(sciences), drink the koolaid. I was shocked. His wife and my wife are best friends. His wife has been a fundy for 20+ years and was instrumental in converting my wife 18 years ago. He always seemed reasonable, and tolerant of his wife's rabid fundamentalism.

He is not the in your face type, but has now gotten active in their church, sermons, entertainment and socials.

I was really disappointed. But as the OP indicated, the rationalization these people use to maintain their safe world view is mind boggling.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. The pastor indicated in the news article is a great example of what has to happen to one's mind in order to survive in the fundy world.

What is frightening to me is that if my friend can be converted...most anybody can. I will never understand how the hell they can do it, and keep a straight face...weird.

His posture seems to say he realizes that this is an oxymoron

I'm not sure where you're seeing it, but I wouldn't even give him that much.

This is what happens when people are led to drown their own sorrows and life's trials with prayer and wild stories of it all being for a greater good.

The quote cited in the OP and his typical 'the family needs our prayers' ... it's like he's licking his chops and anticipating the next service where he gets to turn the flock's grieving into a cheap high by getting them closer to god. It's scary/sad how much one's humanity gets traded off and peeled away with this garbage.

The baby is awesomely dead, those who loved it are awesomely devastated, and the preacher thinks it awesomely somehow makes sense.

The baby is awesomely dead, those who loved it are awesomely devastated, and the preacher thinks it awesomely somehow makes sense.

and god was with the baby all the way,,,,,,,,,,,

that i heard from a idiotic fucking fundi christian,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just recently had a very good friend (my age 60) who is a very educated professional(sciences), drink the koolaid. I was shocked.

It's fairly common that as fence sitters age they fall towards religion due to the ever increasing specter of their own mortality. IOW they get the bejebus scared into them.

• Super Moderator

This article fits in perfectly with a church sign I saw last night that pissed me off to no end.

God doesn't owe us.

He owns us.

Biblegod loves killing babies, so this one's no big deal. In fact, it's just ONE baby -- not a whole tribe or all the first-borns in a village. To biblegod (if he existed), it's just "Eh .... another day fucking with human lives MY TOYS."

Noes, Teh Ceiling Cat pwns us.

The pastor in this interview seemed blase. It was like he was recollecting memorized talking points that he wrote down in seminary in a lecture entitled "things to say in public to avoid losing your denominational pension or getting fired by your church." He has to say things like that to survive. He didn't seem very sincere to me.

Hey! Maybe he's one of those secret atheist pastors who doesn't know how to get out of the madness!

PUKE! :woopsie: How terribly sad for this family...............Human suffering really sucks................

Awesome god............ yeah right...............:shrug:

His posture seems to say he realizes that this is an oxymoron

I'm not sure where you're seeing it, but I wouldn't even give him that much.

There's something wong in the way he rock back and forth on his feet, something wrong with his vocal inflection. I'm not sure what it is, but it feels like he's being bashful or cute. It would be interesting to see what a micro-expression expert might conclude.

He seems a combo of defensive and nervous. I wonder what the interview question was.