How Old Were You When You De-converted?

Guest MadameX

Started questioning Jesus from the night I asked him to 'save' me - 20

had question from a very young age. like 8 or 9.

Then quite going to church at 18.

Finally admitted to myself that I am most likely described as atheist about 12 months ago. This site kinda helped that. Something about the label that I was unwilling to accept.

I would like to say I started deconverting when I started high school. But I didn't really look into everything until I was 18. And I became an atheist at 19.

This thread should be a poll.

I imagine a mod would help you out if you asked.

I've added a poll in age groups as a list of exact ages would be rather tedious and long.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly the age for myself as it was gradual. There was an early decoversion from a fundamentalist church I was with that took place when I was 25, but I tried to land in a kinder version of Christianity following that, which never really panned out all that well as they didn't have much to offer. I gave it a greater, sort of last ditch effort again in my mid 30's, eventually finding no reason to keep looking there at around 40-41'ish.

It was only after I was 40 that I found some arguments or ways of thinking that persuaded me that Christianity could not be true. All the years prior either I was just nominally Christian or I was desperately searching for different ways I could still be "Christian" and not actually be a Baptist fundy, if you know what I mean.

Started having doubts at 13. De-converted at 14, going from xtian to atheist in about 5 months.

Of course, I look back all the time...