Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Facebook Status Updates

SillyString

Just wanted to first say hello to everyone. I've been lurking around the site for a little while, so I finally decided I would register and join the conversations. I didn't see any introduction forum links; if there is one, if someone could direct me to it I will be glad to give a proper introduction there.

In the meantime, I just wanted to rant a little about some of the facebook status updates I see on a daily basis. Lately, the repeat offenders on my friends list either get hidden or deleted altogether. There is only so much I can take. :)

Here is the latest:

"Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus."

Showing no concern for the future? Really?

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to begin. Of course, the bible says that Christians should not worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6: 25-34). However, if the person who posted this statement wasn't really worried about the future, she wouldn't have a job, she wouldn't put money in the bank or in a savings account for the future education of her child. She wouldn't fork money out of her earnings for health or car insurance. An unseen force gets credit for "taking care of her", when she is actually the one doing the job. I wonder what would happen if she really followed the teachings of Jesus, and gave up all her possessions as the bible commands (Matthew 19:21). If a Christian really wants to "walk with Jesus", isn't this what they are commanded to do?

It just really irritates me that people say these sorts of things about Jesus without really thinking about what it means, and what the bible, the book that is supposed to be such a guideline for their lives really says.

The status update mentioned is coming from a single mother, who has worked very hard to take care of herself and her child, and look who gets all the credit. It's B.S.

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I block everyone that posts the 'Jesus Loves Me' thing on my page, relatives, friends, and all. I've told friends I am not a believer and tell them, if they ask, when they are blocked. I don't send email or posts to rub it in, I just block their nonsense from my page.

"Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus."

Showing no concern for the future? Really?

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to begin. Of course, the bible says that Christians should not worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6: 25-34). However, if the person who posted this statement wasn't really worried about the future, she wouldn't have a job, she wouldn't put money in the bank or in a savings account for the future education of her child. She wouldn't fork money out of her earnings for health or car insurance. An unseen force gets credit for "taking care of her", when she is actually the one doing the job. I wonder what would happen if she really followed the teachings of Jesus, and gave up all her possessions as the bible commands (Matthew 19:21). If a Christian really wants to "walk with Jesus", isn't this what they are commanded to do?

I was one of those who didn't show any concern for the future. I believed Jesus would come back tomorrow, so why bother to plan? That attitude is the one that hurt me most. I can say that having that attitude growing up, lazy with school, getting married young, having kids, and not really working to hard on my career, totally messed up my life. I'm still trying to piece it together. The whole "he knows the number of hairs on your head" or "he feeds the birds" etc, is probably the most damaging delusional meme in Christianity.

It just really irritates me that people say these sorts of things about Jesus without really thinking about what it means, and what the bible, the book that is supposed to be such a guideline for their lives really says.

It's because they believe in their Holy Babble. :grin:

It's because they believe in their Holy Babble. :grin:

If she really believed it though, she wouldn't be doing all the things I mentioned, like working and putting away money. That's what I'm saying. And I was a lot like you, I wasted a lot of time trying to be such a good Christian that I neglected what was really important in life as I was growing up. Thanks for replying :)

I see those quite often, usually it's a flowery verse or praising Da Lard because someone got a new car, pair of jeans, job etc...I know what you mean though when someone puts forth a ton of effort into something, and if they succeed they give credit to God or Jesus... The one that always gets me is if someone is sick or in the hospital and they recover, they always give thanks to Jesus and the people who prayed for them, but never the doctors and nurses who actually took care of them!

I never try and stir a fuss on facebook...but sometimes when I see a bible quote, I'll find another one that is semi-morbid. Just to see what they say :)

I also hate when people post that overused "quote" about god "by" Albert Einstein. And then go and say that he was a believer, why aren't you?

Xians make of habit of clinging tightly to 'favorite" verses, peace love dove, and ignoring god's smiting and petty jealousy and such.

I use FundieBook sparingly.

Xians make of habit of clinging tightly to 'favorite" verses, peace love dove, and ignoring god's smiting and petty jealousy and such.

I use FundieBook sparingly.

Hey par, thanks for replying.

You're right. Don't hear much about all the negative stuff...like the telling of the story of Noah and the ark. Oh, animals two by two and the nice pretty rainbow promises, but DO NOT mention that the entire population of the earth was wiped out by god himself, including little babies and children. Just ignore all that, and remember that god is love, and every good thing you have comes from him. It's sick.

Just read your post about the guitar. I'm glad you're getting that amp you wanted and get to actually play the thing a bit. :) I'm a guitar lover and player myself.

Just read your post about the guitar. I'm glad you're getting that amp you wanted and get to actually play the thing a bit. :) I'm a guitar lover and player myself.

Cool. You just qualified for the Ex-C band. Read about it hereand then let's get named.

I saw a post today about someone's van breaking down and Satan needing to back off. Welcome to Ex-C!

I see those quite often, usually it's a flowery verse or praising Da Lard because someone got a new car, pair of jeans, job etc...I know what you mean though when someone puts forth a ton of effort into something, and if they succeed they give credit to God or Jesus... The one that always gets me is if someone is sick or in the hospital and they recover, they always give thanks to Jesus and the people who prayed for them, but never the doctors and nurses who actually took care of them!

Or say what a prick god is for letting them die......

People who post Bible verses or Jesus spam / Christian chain mail are lame. But the dumbest post is:

John 3:16

When I read that, I think they should win a flaming bag full of poo.

I get them occasionally. Thankfully most of the Christians on my FB are low key. During the holiday period (Easter and Christmas for example) things get a bit overwhelming but overall I keep my mouth shut. I figured I use to annoy the shit out of people with my FB updates I rightly deserve to put up with theirs.

Yes, BethM. Its a fact that most Christians, if not all of them, have never thought about what it is they are supposed to believe, much less try to live it.

Christianity is an impossible lie. It takes a lot of fakery and self deception to maintain. I, and everyone else here, for the most part cannot go along with it.

I don't "friend" anyone on Facebook who I suspect is a Christian who wants to announce it alot. Stuff on their wall or information page clues me in. Just delete them from the newsfeed so you don't have to see it everyday if you are already a "friend".

Welcome to the forums.

I started blocking news feeds of the xian friends I had and then there was nothing new to read. Have not been to FB for two months and don't really miss it. Was nice to catch up with old school mates but we really have little in common apart from some old memories.

I stopped accepting friends some time ago as most were xian.

How do xians spell "PEACE?" D-E-N-I-A-L.

mwc

• Like 1

Here is another annoying Facebook status posted by members of my family.

Sept 11th (NY) Jan 11th (Haiti) and March 11th (Japan)....Luke 21:10-11Then jesus said to his disciples : "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes', famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. 'Jesus says for behold I come quickly, [so...... ask yourself are we ready?] [sad to say Many won't repost this msg]

Uggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

I told the person who originally posted this steaming pile of poo what caused the earthquakes and that the she was better than that. Also said I will not repost this message.

Boy, my family needs to get their heads out of the fog and use their brains.

Boy, my family needs to get their heads out of the fog and use their brains.

I hear you! While visiting my Mother yesterday, we were talking about the earthquakes and my stepfather says, "God is pissed! We'd better get ready." I had to hold my tongue, because my family doesn't know yet that I don't believe any of that nonsense anymore. I'm so glad I'm out of that "fog"!

How about this one. I posted yesterday about Mercury being visible now, which is something that doesn't happen terribly often and watching the different planets interests me. I get a comment from a lady from (ex) church that she misses me being there, to which I debated on what to do, but decided to be nice and told her thanks. Then she proceeds to comment that she hopes that whatever the beef is I have with God gets straightened around and I start coming back to church. Now that didn't sit too well!

You could tell them verse numbers were a much later addition to the texts. Of course they will grasp at any pattern/sign to keep the delusional fires fueled.

Sad that so many folk still believe this crap.

You could tell them verse numbers were a much later addition to the texts. Of course they will grasp at any pattern/sign to keep the delusional fires fueled.

Sad that so many folk still believe this crap.

like the freaking bible code is a great example.