Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Camp

Suzy

Probably most of you know this movie already since it was done in 2006, but I just came across trailers from it on YT. This is horrible! It also evokes bad memories in me. Even when I was in my Pentacostal church at times I felt uncomfortable with all the shouting, hypnotic suggestion (of course I believed at the time it was the Holy Spirit) and all. Now, from the outside it's totally horrible and crazy. Especially when done on children. I wish these kids enlightenment. I feel lucky that I could escape.

I was in Baptist churches during my time as a fundy so we didn't really have the whole tongues thing going on nor the whole emotionally driven service either. So seeing this is pretty hectic to me. I have been to Pentecostal churches but they were fairly laid back, not much different from the Baptist churches, except for the hands in the air while singing and the tongues while praying. It's an emotional roller coaster ride that they're putting these people through and it's unhealthy.

All churches though manipulate people through emotions. At the end of every sermon you have the music playing and the alter call. It's all designed to appeal to the emotions, even when they're saying they're not trying to do so that is in fact what they're doing.

I watched this movie about a year ago, while in the process of devonverting and it made me sick.. The brainwashing done to these innocent children is atrocious!

I never personally judge anyone for their 'so called sin' and I certainly never judge or make fun of anybody's weaknesses, because I have had my own 'demons' to battle (and weight was definetely one of them) - but if this lady is going to go on like this and preach the bible literally, then she needs to look at the scripture that says about gluttony.

She needs to stop going on about Harry Potter and get to the diet clinic as fast as she can - because god will disapprove of her body size. Gets right on my nerves! :vent:

Proverbs 23:20–21

20 Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat,

21 for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty,

Proverbs 23:2

2 and put a knife to your throat

if you are given to appetite.

And I believe if you are going to preach 'literal bible' you must also remember what they call the 7 deadly sins:

The currently recognized version of the list is usually given as anger, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

“For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their
god is their belly
, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.”

Webster’s dictionary definition of gluttony: “habitual overeating.”

I'm just sayin'................................
:shrug:

The part that hit a nerve with me was when the preacher lady said "the Lord told her" (of course) there are hypocrites among the kids who talk dirty, do this, do that. And she played on the kids's guilt, who of course started to think they are guilty, evil, whatever (many even cried). This is what sums up Xtianity to me! Tell people they are guilty as hell, make them believe so and then feel the need of a saviour. It's already flawed when done to adults, but doing it to kids is just pure evil!

This is why I had fear, guilt, struggles for 20 years in my life! I'm so disgusted by it.

She needs to stop going on about Harry Potter and get to the diet clinic as fast as she can - because god will disapprove of her body size. Gets right on my nerves! :vent:

At least she didn't quote the verses to the kids (at least not here) where the Bible says disobedient children must be stoned....

More from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVgRpRoD4A0&feature=related

Poor kids....

BTW, I have never understodd what the issue of global warming has to do with Jesus and the Bible. Can someone explain that to me? Why Xtians should refuse to believe in global warming?

I assume that it's the subconscious (or even conscience) knowledge that if man can affect the environment negatively than biblegod can't be real because he promised that nothing will happen till the rapture et cetera.

In saying that though, I'm fairly skeptical of it myself. It's just the lines between politics and religion seem to be blurred or non existent in American thought.

I guess all the talk about flooding that's associated with global warming would be seen as too close to contradicting the noahic covenant. I remember being taught in school that we'd never have to worry about getting wiped out by an asteroid due to some bible verse they pulled out.

Also, to people who think atheism is a religion, I suppose global warming would be our big end of the world prophecy. :eyeroll:

I watched that movie when I was still a Christian. Even then it was so disturbing! Those poor kids.

I own it and watch it on a semi-regular basis. Every time I watch it, I see it a little differently. This kids are not only asked to live up to an impossible standard, the weight of the world is being placed on them.

I thought I saw Becky Fisher while shopping in Bismarck one time. If I was sure, I may have said something. I will keep my eye open.

I can pretty much relate to these kids. I have never been in such a camp, but what I heard and experienced in my Pentacostal church was enough to mess up my mind and to strike fear and guilt in me for 20 years. Our pastors and preachers weren't this aggressive, but they had the same effect and I can imagine what these kids feel inside! That blond boy who said every time he reads the Bible and has doubts he feels so guilty.... I always thought I was guilty, not good enough, if I struggle with faith it's all my fault etc. I realize it's true for many Xtians not just Pentacostals, but now, from the outside I think Pentacostals are a cult (OK, we can say Xtianity is a cult in itself). I have never seen the extremism of it while I was inside.

Our church has primary school, a high school and a college - so church members can make their kids go there and make them similarly brainwashed as these kids here. Luckily I never went to those schools, but attending church was enough too.

BTW, I have never understodd what the issue of global warming has to do with Jesus and the Bible. Can someone explain that to me? Why Xtians should refuse to believe in global warming?

Because the Koch brothers don't want the government to regulate emissions from power plants and vehicles, so they get their buddies in the evangelical Christian leadership to preach that global warming isn't real.

It's similar to why Pat Robertson supported apartheid - he owns mining interests in South Africa.

Oh man, I remember seeing this in theaters when I was younger my mum took me to see it, I actually debated her a tad about it, she didn't know I was an atheist yet and was surprised that I was even taken back so much by the film cause she loved it, she's exactly like that fat blonde bitch in the film.