Goodbye Jesus

Bought A Bible Today

dB-Paradox

So I've never read Lee Strobel's "The Case For Christ", and being open-minded and not afraid of a hardcore Christian apologist decided to pick up his book. I picked a chapter and started reading....then grabbed a vomit bag! As the reasoning goes, the proof for the text is in the text itself! YAY for stupid answers! Anyway, I'm still glad I got the book. Just one more that Christians won't have over me. Anyway, while I was in the Christian bookstore, I asked a lady where I could get an NIV study bible. She asked how much I'm willing to spend, and I said it depends. Then she showed me bibles from $25 - $200! I said to her, "That's quite a bit for a free gift, isn't it!" No response. So I left it at that! Needless to say, I picked up the cheapest one. I only need it for cross-referencing.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Super Moderator

Hotel rooms always have free Bibles. They're free like the towels, right?

There's plenty of Bibles on the internet, you should have just used one of those. I remember when I was looking for my first Bible and if I didn't want one that was a shitty paperback, it'd set me back $45. That's not so much money for me now but at the time that was like a quarter of my weekly wages. I never knew they'd charge so much for what I thought of as a "necessity".

For 20 years I have read the Bible almost every day. I have had enough. I put it away when I deconverted. Actually I think putting away my Bible was kind of the marking act of my deconversion. Before that it was always in my nightstand, beside my bed.

Wow, Bibles are very expensive!

As the reasoning goes, the proof for the text is in the text itself! YAY for stupid answers! Anyway, I'm still glad I got the book. Just one more that Christians won't have over me.

If you REALLY want to make your de-conversion complete, read the Bible through from cover to cover. First, buy a bunch of barf bags though.

So I've never read Lee Strobel's "The Case For Christ", and being open-minded and not afraid of a hardcore Christian apologist decided to pick up his book.

"Lee Strobel" and "hardcore Christian apologist" shouldn't be in the same sentence. "The Case For Christ" is light fluff for believers who don't want to think too hard. I bought it and read it as a christian, hoping to have something solid and convincing to share with nonbelievers, but I was extremely underwhelmed by the book.

One interesting thing about "The Case For Christ," though, is that in it Strobel does acknowledge that the passage about Jesus in Josephus' "Antiquities" was clearly altered by christians. Of course, he tries to remedy the situation by asserting that parts of it were written by Josephus and only the praising comments were added by believers. Unfortunately for him, there is not a single shred of textual evidence for that, it's just a desperate attempt to retain the passage as evidence for Jesus. Once it is acknowledged that the text was tampered with, the whole passage becomes suspect.

Ironically, a christian I once debated on another board was pushing "The Case For Christ" as strong evidence for christianity, but she also asserted that the passage in Josephus was 100% authentic. I then quoted the entire section from "The Case For Christ" where Strobel admits that the text was tampered with in order to show that the very book she was so adamantly advocating admitted that her claim was false. Of course, she was at a loss of words after that. ;)

It's the strangest, borderline evil, campaign ever when you think about it. They want people to steal a book that says, specifically, "Thou shalt not steal." And says you're a horrible person for doing so later on. They could at least put a sticker in it that lets people know it's okay to take it if they want it. "This book says I is loved. I'm taking it. <actually reads book> Oh no! I stole this stupid book. I goes to hell!"

mwc

It's the strangest, borderline evil, campaign ever when you think about it. They want people to steal a book that says, specifically, "Thou shalt not steal." And says you're a horrible person for doing so later on. They could at least put a sticker in it that lets people know it's okay to take it if they want it. "This book says I is loved. I'm taking it. <actually reads book> Oh no! I stole this stupid book. I goes to hell!"

mwc

They typically do say that they're placed there by the Gideons, and people generally know that they aren't the property of the hotel. I wouldn't consider it stealing to take it with you, since it's the purpose of the Gideons to give out bibles to people. Personally, though, I'm more fond of highlighting bad stuff in the bible so that the next time someone opens it up (which may be years down the road, haha) they'll see the atrocious behavior of the god of the bible.

• Like 1

Hey dB, you should've gotten this bible:

http://www.amazon.com/Apologetics-Study-Bible-Understand-Believe/dp/158640024X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300415228&sr=8-1

Maybe it would've made you a believer again. ;)

So I've never read Lee Strobel's "The Case For Christ", and being open-minded and not afraid of a hardcore Christian apologist decided to pick up his book.

"Lee Strobel" and "hardcore Christian apologist" shouldn't be in the same sentence. "The Case For Christ" is light fluff for believers who don't want to think too hard.

Isn't it all really `light fluff` once you know the truth? In any case, should a Christian point me to his book, I can say I`ve got it.

As far as using an online bible, I don`t have internet access everywhere, and I`ve been reading through `The Rejection Of Pascal`s Wager` and it`s nice to have a bible close by to check out the biblical references for myself.

I've been using my bible a whole lot more since de-converting....it's a lot more fun to read when you're looking up contradictions and inconsistencies.

"The Case For Christ" is light fluff for believers who don't want to think too hard.

Isn't it all really `light fluff` once you know the truth?

True, but "The Case For Christ" is excessively light and fluffy, so much so that even when I was a firm believer I could see that the book would not be very convincing to those who didn't already believe. Even then I could see how silly his approach was, claiming to have been an ardent atheist who was convinced to believe by the evidence, yet time and time again in his presentation he goes to christian "scholars" and excludes mainstream scholars, and he readily accepts what they say without serious questioning. How does that represent an ardent atheist?

I watched a video on him explaining that he saw a change in his wife which she attributed to god and that's one of the factors that set his theism into motion.

"This book says I is loved. I'm taking it.

:lmao: HAHAHAHAHA! THAT is Funny! " I is loved!........oh shit! I IS GOING' to HELL!" :fdevil:

, "That's quite a bit for a free gift, isn't it!" No response. So I left it at that!

Don't you hate that?! When you say something that is plainly funny and people just look at you like "duh"....geez-o-peezo. I would have laughed at your joke- even when I was a christian. What a Dumb ass!

And the Case for Christ? Even when I was BIG into apologetics, I hated that book. I could not understand why people were so excited about it. It was poorly written and BORING. Strange.

Personally, though, I'm more fond of highlighting bad stuff in the bible so that the next time someone opens it up (which may be years down the road, haha) they'll see the atrocious behavior of the god of the bible.

THIS is a FABULOUS IDEA! In a few weeks my heathen sister and I are going on a little vacation- I am TOTALLY taking a highlighter!!!!!!!! (doesn't hurt to write leading questions inside the cover either. you know."notes!"

Yes, you can take the bible with you. I believe I recall a court case where a motel was suing someone for taking a bible but the court ruled the Gideons have placed them in motels and hotels as gifts for the occupant. The motel lost the suit.

I've been using my bible a whole lot more since de-converting....it's a lot more fun to read when you're looking up contradictions and inconsistencies.

I like to look up scriptures that contradict what the xtians are teaching.

Walk into a christian bookstore these days and all the trinkets and bible covers and bracelets with crappy catch-phrases would make Martin Luther roll in his grave and think the Roman Church has taken over the protestants.

A couple years ago, I had a thought to open a christian bookstore. Phew, good thing I didn't, as a few months ago I might've cancelled my shipment of NIV Leather-Bound Spirit-Filled Prophecy Women's Bibles for Men and started selling the Skeptics Annotated Bible!

A couple years ago, I had a thought to open a christian bookstore. Phew, good thing I didn't, as a few months ago I might've cancelled my shipment of NIV Leather-Bound Spirit-Filled Prophecy Women's Bibles for Men and started selling the Skeptics Annotated Bible!

It would be nice if the Skeptics Annotated Bible was in print.

Then she showed me bibles from $25 - $200!

So much for "you get what you pay for."

I wonder if the two hundred dollar one has a better story line!

For two hundred smackers there should be a two year course in Koine, a Westcott and Hort New Testament, An Analytical Greek Lexicon, A Parsing Guide, the complete Nag Hammadi Library and a free pass from all human suffering!

$200 bucks, that's gospel? Salvation cost are rising!

Cheap is good!

saner

• Like 1