Goodbye Jesus

Where Do Atheists Go In Their Old Age?

noob

Do you ever think about how/where you will spend your final years? Over the last couple of weeks, I spent some time contemplating this since I was in a nursing home to rehabilitate after my hip surgery. Thankfully, the wing where I was located was for short term patients who were recovering from various surgeries. It was extremely clean, the food was surprisingly good, the rooms were private and the staff was more than competent. The long term part of the facility was a little dreary and there were two patients in each room. As I rolled through the halls in my wheelchair I got the impression that the patients were not getting the same level of care that I was getting in the short term wing.

But, what really made me think about my future as an old (older) fart was the impression that I had that A LOT of the health care workers were extremely fundy. These were very kind, competent individuals who were providing me with excellent care. I wasn’t offended but I must admit I was surprised at how often they praised god for my recovery and told me they were praying for me. Last Sunday morning one of the CNAs came rushing into my room to tune the television to Joel Osteen. It was bad enough that I could hear him echoing down the hall from all of the other rooms. Ugh. I was getting ready to go out to breakfast so I just told her no thank you. There was a part of me that wanted to correct them and let them know that I attributed my recovery to a very skilled surgeon and in part to their wonderful care. I also felt the urge to ask them to please skip the prayers. I am very conflict averse and I guess perhaps I was simply avoiding conflict when I ignored their references. Then again, I didn’t feel like they were harming me in any way and it seemed kind of mean to tell them that I did not believe in god which would lead these good-hearted people who obviously cared about me to think that I was going to burn in hell for eternity. Somehow it seemed different to avoid the subject with these acquaintances when I have already told my close friends and family members that I don’t believe. I guess I just didn’t see that it would serve any good purpose.

Anyway, the experience really opened my eyes and made me think about how awful it would be to be an old atheist in a nursing home. Does anyone else ponder things like this?

I hope I will live in a retirement village and be able to look after myself. Australia is a godless place so it is not so much of a problem really :) I have become very astute at ignoring people and diverting conversations. Even at 50 I am called a bitter old woman because I dislike religion so much, but only by those still in it. Only about 10% of people here even go to church, no one else cares :)

I guess the trick would be to choose the right nursing home beforehand if possible. I could think of nothing worse than being surrounded by fundies in my dotage. I would get a bright shiny red walking frame to hit them with.

Hope the hip is going well :)

Quote: "Last Sunday morning one of the CNAs came rushing into my room to tune the television to Joel Osteen."

If they didn't first ask you if you wanted the TV on, it would have been both polite and non-confrontational just to say, "No thanks, I don't want to watch television now."

I can applaud your not wanting to be seen as aggressive, but there is certainly no harm in being assertive - otherwise, people will be having you do what they want you to do, and after all, you are the customer and they are the service providers.

Where do atheists go in their old age? In my case, it's crystal clear. Of my four children, I shall choose the home of my daughter who's married to the charismatic Anglican priest, where I'll daily test their Christian charity (as they have, for years, tested my Humanism) and where I'll take every opportunity to corrupt the grandchildren. What a grand old age I'll have! :wicked:

Hopefully i'll be dead before I have to worry about ending up in an old age home.

The thing that scares me most about that environment isn't the fundies or praying or Joel Osteen, it's the having to be dependent on someone else for my livelihood, no less someone who's making $8 and hour and who, if push comes to shove, probably could give a rats ass about me.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

In the event a close friend or relative would be unable to care for me in my waning months or years, I would choose a Jewish retirement facility! Yes! The food is to my liking, no Jewish televangelists to put on the TV, and hopefully there would always be lots of good doctors around (visiting their mothers). :HaHa:

One good thing is at the age of decrepitude you will probably lose much of your hearing so you don't have to put up with hearing all the fundy/traditional claptrap. Or, you can at least PRETEND not to hear them and talk very loudly over them about whatever the hell you feel like talking about.

One good thing is at the age of decrepitude you will probably lose much of your hearing so you don't have to put up with hearing all the fundy/traditional claptrap. Or, you can at least PRETEND not to hear them and talk very loudly over them about whatever the hell you feel like talking about.

LOL so right!

When you get to a certain age, society allows you to say and do pretty much whatever the hell you want because hey, if you've lived 75 years, you've earned the privilege!