Goodbye Jesus

Damn Passport

JadedAtheist

Man, I'm starting to get so frustrated trying to sort out my passport, mostly because I have limited time to go about getting it sorted. For any normal person, getting a passport is simply providing your birth certificate alongside with the application form and some referee signatures and you're done. However, in my case, since my parents are both from overseas and I was born shortly after a new law was passed, that isn't good enough. Not only must I either prove my parents came here as permanent residents by finding documents almost 3 decades old but if I cannot find those documents I must prove that I have lived here my whole life so I can then apply for citizenship, I shit you not. I managed to find some documentation but I was told that it might not be valid because it isn't in English and it's out of date (of course a 26 year old passport is out of date!!!!). What pisses me off is that if I was born a year earlier, I wouldn't have this problem.

The main reason I want to get my passport sorted is I'm planning a long term visit to some relatives over in Serbia and Germany. I've had to delay it because of work issues as well as some minor health issues (Ingrown toenails can be a real bitch and I shudder the thought of it getting infected in a 2nd world country) not to mention the passport problems. I swear this is frustrating. At least it looks like I might have this sorted in the next couple days (assuming I don't have to apply for citizenship). This also brings to mind my whole drivers license issue as well but that is getting sorted too thankfully.

*arrghh!* :) Off my chest at least.

Man, the same thing happened to me. They wanted me to show them five proofs of my existence. I actually had to dig up a fucking article from 1987 in my hometown newspaper where they did a feature on my Boy Scout troop! I also had to send for a copy of my birth certificate and have it officially notarized, all kinds of bullshit.

My European friends make it sound like it's 5 times easier to get a Passport in their respective countries. Also, unlike us Yanks they practically get passports in infancy. (I remember all these Detroiters throwing a fucking fit when they heard the news they'd have to get passports to go shopping in Canada. They'd never imagined ever having to get one!) In Italy you just mosey on down to the police station, dick around for 20 minutes, and 2 weeks later you've got a passport.

In Italy you just mosey on down to the police station, dick around for 20 minutes, and 2 weeks later you've got a passport.

That's about all I had to do to get my US passport. Copy of my birth certificate, a form, some cash and a passport in less than a week.

anyone know if it's possible to just get a new photo for your current passport? My pic from 2004 is bleach blonde, and now I'm biker chick black. I've been to 3 countries so far w/ this discrepancy, but I stress each time I have to pull it out for an official.

they do the photos right here at my local PO, but the pic seems to be imbedded into the passport so I'm guessing new photo would = completely new PP?

That's about all I had to do to get my US passport. Copy of my birth certificate, a form, some cash and a passport in less than a week.

Really? How'd you get off so easy? :twitch:

I have a passport-related question I'd like to ask. I got a passport back in 2003 because I was at the height of my anime geekiness and wanted to visit Tokyo. Since I never got around to saving the money for said trip, the passport's gone unused. So here's the problem I have besides lack of cash. The room I live in gets a bit musty and my passport had got some mildew/mold on it. Dumbass here tries to quickly rinse it off in the sink before realizing he's not doing something very bright.

The pages are legible and undamaged, , but I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and shell out the money for a replacement which I believe to be about 105 dollars. Though, I'm a little worried that I might get some suspicious questions about why I haven't used it after all this time. The thing I've failed to mention is that my passport picture has a slight defect in that it looks like there's a slash over one side of my face and wonder if that might raise eyebrows.

Should I just get a replacement passport, or do you guys and gals think the one I've got would work ok?

Looking forward to your replies,

Tab

Really? How'd you get off so easy? :twitch:

Everybody I know gets off this easy. The Messicans I know don't travel. :P

I have a passport-related question I'd like to ask. I got a passport back in 2003 because I was at the height of my anime geekiness and wanted to visit Tokyo. Since I never got around to saving the money for said trip, the passport's gone unused. So here's the problem I have besides lack of cash. The room I live in gets a bit musty and my passport had got some mildew/mold on it. Dumbass here tries to quickly rinse it off in the sink before realizing he's not doing something very bright.

The pages are legible and undamaged, , but I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and shell out the money for a replacement which I believe to be about 105 dollars. Though, I'm a little worried that I might get some suspicious questions about why I haven't used it after all this time. The thing I've failed to mention is that my passport picture has a slight defect in that it looks like there's a slash over one side of my face and wonder if that might raise eyebrows.

Should I just get a replacement passport, or do you guys and gals think the one I've got would work ok?

Tab

You probably need a new one if it looks like it's been tampered with or doesn't look original. I think it's only $20, not $105. I paid $60 IIRC for my ap, but when I had it renewed a few years ago, it only cost $20.

I got it renewed at the embassy, btw and they had a new one waiting for me about 3-4 days later. I was impressed by their friendliness and efficiency.

Tabula Rasa, check out the "damaged passport" page, here:

https://uspassportnow.com/step/two/8

Looks like it's a minimum of $170; more if it's a special request (rush, etc.).

Passports aren't as cheap as they used to be. Just another way to stick it to to poor folks.

@JadedAtheist: I used to work for the US Federal Govt. as a claims examiner. The govt. does have the capability to translate foreign documents. I would submit them anyway and see what happens. If you are denied because some bureaucrat is too lazy to send the document to the proper office for translation, I would file a complaint and appeal the rejection. Sometimes you have to make the US govt. work for you. It may take longer but I think in the end, you will get your passport. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Passport Services/Customer Service is what you need to file a complaint over nontranslation. You can also file a complaint here and the Office of Inspector General can point you in the right direction:

http://oig.state.gov/

Tell them what the problem is and see what they can do for you.

Thanks Vigile and Pitchu for the info.

In Italy you just mosey on down to the police station, dick around for 20 minutes, and 2 weeks later you've got a passport.

Same for wife and me. We went to the county office it was the same stuff (only they wanted original birth certificates...without those it got a little more difficult). Filled out a simple form, took the picture, paid some money and we got everything a few weeks later (less than a month). This was in 2005. My biggest stress was letting go of original birth certificate.

mwc

Tabula Rasa, check out the "damaged passport" page, here:

https://uspassportnow.com/step/two/8

Looks like it's a minimum of $170; more if it's a special request (rush, etc.).

Passports aren't as cheap as they used to be. Just another way to stick it to to poor folks.

It says $60 here to renew: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html

I don't know about damaged, but this is a State Dept. site (I think your link is for a passport service that tacks on costs). I'm surprised. I got mine renewed about 4-5 years ago and it only cost $20. At this rate of growth, I'll have to take out a loan my next renewal.

The value of a passport can never be truly estimated. Mine, at the moment, has bought me the best yellow Thai curry any man has been lucky enough to sink his teeth into. :yum:

Tab

I renewed my husband's and my passports when we thought we were going to take a trip to Europe in the mid-1990s. We then ended up not going. When we did go in 2009, those passports had expired so we got them renewed again and got new passports. There are some hassles, perhaps, in getting a passport renewed but don't worry about questions as to why you haven't used it after all this time. Stuff happens, plans change.

If your passport hasn't expired, you can still use it. However, I know I read somewhere that if your passport is due to expire before six months after the date of a trip, get a new one. I can't quite recall the sources but I remember something about needing to have a valid passport that is not expiring in six months.