Goodbye Jesus

The Extinction Of Religion

dB-Paradox

Not surprising, times change. People's ideas and beliefs change. To me following religion is like when we used to wipe our butts with our hands. Toilet paper is much better.

wait they have paper for your butt.

:completely missing the point:

wait they have paper for your butt.

Exactly! They have a solution to fear as well, it's called 'get off your ass and take some responsibility'. No need tor religion.

If you run out of paper you could always use your bible

• Like 2

I wonder if they have to do that sometimes in the sweatshops where they make bibles for the rich, western Christians?

• Like 1

Um I vaguely remember using one of the unprinted pages to roll a joint.......

• Like 1

Ha! I remember as a Christian in my late teens, a guy was visiting my house and asked if I cigarette paper. I didn't, so he said bible pages worked also. I got sooooo offended! :lmao:

I heard if you use those bibles with the really thin pages it words pretty decent. They used to hand those little new testaments out at my college. No wonder the cover was green

Why would I treat my ass like that?

:shrug:

That is true. The bible is already full of shit!

• Like 2

Religion continues to evolve with the times, and as long as it keeps doing so, I don't see it going anywhere soon.

I still think it's funny that religious folks don't believe in evolution, but their religion has to evolve to survive.

Religion continues to evolve with the times, and as long as it keeps doing so, I don't see it going anywhere soon.

I agree. Though traditional religious beliefs may be dwindling in places, religion has found ways to adapt with those changing times. I'm a little doubtful that "extinction" will be coming along.

It only takes a generation for the worst reactionary fundamentalism to make a raging comeback. Just look at what happened to Afghanistan after 30 years of war. It was way better there before the Soviets showed up.

• Like 1

I still think it's funny that religious folks don't believe in evolution, but their religion has to evolve to survive.

I agree I think that with science and our times beliefs will just keep on changing. So I don't think it will ever be extinct but people will just have their own beliefs.

I agree I think that with science and our times beliefs will just keep on changing. So I don't think it will ever be extinct but people will just have their own beliefs.

That was a very common belief among scholars of religion for many decades, particularly during the 1960s: that traditional religious collectives would dissolve and belief would become an atomized, individual, private matter. That thesis flew right out the window beginning in the late 70s with the rise of fundamentalism the world over.

Religion is the collective consciousness of a culture. The only way to ever get rid of religion is to wipe out the human race. It is kind of like the saying...if you want to go to a place where there is eternal peace...go visit a graveyard.

I agree with burneout - I think the 'idea' of god has been implanted in the human mind for thousands of years and it will not be an easy thing to let go of. We need a fresh new breed of humans to start all over and do it right..............:shrug:

• Super Moderator

I think the word "religion" may fall into disuse as more people begin to call themselves "spiritual" in order to appear "enlightened" and set apart from the mainstream. It's religion by another name, but it will get the traditional sects in a dither. The old classic brick and mortar religious venues will continue to lose income. Websites, books and "courses" that sell "enlightenment" will likely prosper. A small, hardcore fundy movement will be the only old school remnant that might actually grow in the coming years.

Websites, books and "courses" that sell "enlightenment" will likely prosper.

Think so? Want to go into business together?

• Super Moderator

I can't even do readings anymore. People are so gullible I can't stand to profit from it. It's a character flaw I suffer from.

Just get some New Age books that flooded the market in the '60s and repackage it like the other current authors do. A snappy website offering various degrees should be easier to market and bring in more cash than a book.

I can't even do readings anymore. People are so gullible I can't stand to profit from it. It's a character flaw I suffer from.

Just get some New Age books that flooded the market in the '60s and repackage it like the other current authors do. A snappy website offering various degrees should be easier to market and bring in more cash than a book.

I was just yanking your chain. I'd probably cut myself shaving as I'd suffer from mirror avoidance. I suffer from the flaw of honesty.

I think the word "religion" may fall into disuse as more people begin to call themselves "spiritual" in order to appear "enlightened" and set apart from the mainstream. It's religion by another name, but it will get the traditional sects in a dither. The old classic brick and mortar religious venues will continue to lose income. Websites, books and "courses" that sell "enlightenment" will likely prosper. A small, hardcore fundy movement will be the only old school remnant that might actually grow in the coming years.

I think you're on to something there, florduh. It sounds plausible, and frankly, I would be much more okay with that sort of future.