Pastor Loses Job Over Questioning Hell

BrotherJosh

Do Christians just WANT Hell to exist? It makes me kind of curious about their thought process that they get so riled up over someone questioning Hell, while still remaining a Christian supposedly...For one it shows how many Christians can be intolerant of different ideas and two it provides an example of how possibly many Christians actually want Hell to exist or maybe don't truly understand the concept? While I view this pastor's questioning of Hell as an attempt to reconcile his belief in a generally ugly depiction of Bible God with the world around him, still it kind of sucks he lost his job over something that seems a rather stupid disagreement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42248810/ns/us_news-life/?gt1=43001

When Chad Holtz lost his old belief in hell, he also lost his job.

The pastor of a rural United Methodist church in North Carolina wrote a note on his Facebook page supporting a new book by Rob Bell, a prominent young evangelical pastor and critic of the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment for billions of damned souls.

Two days later, Holtz was told complaints from church members prompted his dismissal from Marrow's Chapel in Henderson.

"I think justice comes and judgment will happen, but I don't think that means an eternity of torment," Holtz said. "But I can understand why people in my church aren't ready to leave that behind. It's something I'm still grappling with myself."

The debate over Bell's new book "Love Wins" has quickly spread across the evangelical precincts of the Internet, in part because of an eye-catching promotional video posted on YouTube.

Bell, the pastor of the 10,000-member Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Mich., lays out the premise of his book while the video cuts away to an artist's hand mixing oil paints and pastels and applying them to a blank canvas.

He describes going to a Christian art show where one of the pieces featured a quote by Mohandas Gandhi. Someone attached a note saying: "Reality check: He's in hell."

Well, of course he got fired. Muther fucker's supposed to be drinking the same flavor of koolaid as everyone else. What was he thinking.

Despite claims to the contrary, without Hell, Christianity doesn't have any staying power. It is what the monks used to get the knights to stop raping and pillaging their own people and go hunt infidels. It is what parents use to scare kids into not wanking (doesn't work, but they can still be scared of it). Without any ooga-booga power, why would anyone deny themselves and take up a cross? They wouldn't, so damnation is central to making the fantasy work. They'll draw you in with talk of love, but really they want to see people fry. In fact, they are counting on it. After all, they've had to deny themselves for years, and they want to see all the "bad" disobedient people get what's coming to them. Yeah.... world's gonna get a whupping.

Do Christians just WANT Hell to exist? It makes me kind of curious about their thought process that they get so riled up over someone questioning Hell, while still remaining a Christian supposedly.

I think they want it to exist, just like they want their superhero Jesus to exist. Or god to exist for that matter. They want to believe they're right, and have figured out the meaning of existence. Their ego considers not having the truth a fate worse than death, so of course they'll fire anyone who challenges them.

They'll eventually give up hell though, but they'd rather die than give up their 'loving, peaceful Jesus'. They'll be alright without hell, but they can never give up the belief that they have the only 'real' truth. It'll be a modernized form of Christianity without all the fundamentalist baggage, but it will still be the only way in their eyes. Even though people who don't believe aren't going to hell, they're still looked down upon as wrong.

Guest Babylonian Dream

That's precisely the problem. He was thinking.

And hopefully he'll start thinking also about what isn't upstairs as well

This just goes to show that religion does mess up peoples minds. They're getting mad because they want to see people fry, they're sadists!

• Like 1

Christians want Hell to exist just so they can say, 'see, I told ya so!' I've listened to Christians on television who talk a modern forgiveness-after-punishment doctrine and it doesn't even fit the biblical doctrine of forgiveness without punishment. Modern Christians want Hell to exist so badly that topic is the one that caused more arguments when I was in church.

Do Christians just WANT Hell to exist?

Yeah. That's what made "salvation" mean anything. Without Jesus saving you from the worst possible fate imaginable, there was no point to all the self-deprivation and other shit you have to go through. Let's face it, being a fundie Christian isn't fun or cool or nice or any of that, it's a real fuckin' drag.

Liberal Christians who believe everyone is going to get a pass, and who smoke weed and fuck their girlfriends, well... why even bother going to church or praying or any of that shit? If your soul is not on the line, there's nothing to sweat. Without hell, Christianity loses its raison d'etre. So you might as well sleep in on Sunday and stop giving a shit, if God is so indifferent as to whether or not you accept the Son and mortify yourself for Him.