Goodbye Jesus

Books, Bibles

specs appeal

Do or did you have many Bibles and/or Christian/fundamentalist books (or CDs, shirts, whatever)?

Do you still have them, or no? Ever feel like you spent your money wrongly? :Doh: Were some... better than others (like certain of mine)? :Hmm:

I, for one, have a lot of Bibles and books. I guess I just don't like to part with books, so for now I'm hanging on to them (well, except for the few "Left Behind" books I had; I don't care where they go :Wendywhatever: ).

Goodbye Jesus

I had bunches of books, and several prints and translations of the Bible. Different languages too.

I sold most of my bibles at a garage sale. I kept a couple, like my favorite "student" bibile and one my mother gave me as a gift when I went through 1st communion.

I had sooooo many books and various Christian paraphenilia.... it makes me mad to think how much money I wasted and how I helped the Christian fatcats get fatter. I used to go to a Christian bookstore before I went to buy music or other things normal teenagers buy.

I kept some of the more scholarly books and the more entertaining of the fundie pop books... just for kicks and as references for when I talk to these people.

I used to have a bunch of Xian books. As my religious library changed I got rid of most of them. I gave 'em to my fundy mom, who'll appreciate them better than I ever will.

I kept most of my Bibles tho'. I'm anal about understanding the dominant holy book in my culture as thoroughly as possible, so I kept all kinds of translations and versions for comparison. They were joined on their shelf by the Quran, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, various mythological works, stuff on Kabbalah, various pagan & witchy texts, etc. etc. etc.

I'd guess I have a similar number of volumes, but a far greater variety of religions and philosophies on the shelf now.

I have books of all sorts in every room of my house. I don't part easily with books..any books. I still have the medical book my mother got over fifty years ago. Interesting stuff in there. It was before the polio vaccine, so the instructions for avoiding polio included not swimming in public places.

I still have my Bibles. (2 of them.) I am considering donating them to a charity. As much of a book lover as I am, I can't bring myself to destroy them or any book.

Do or did you have many Bibles and/or Christian/fundamentalist books (or CDs, shirts, whatever)?

Let's see...

...somewhere I still have a bronze cross lying around, a gift from the time of my confirmation in the faith a long time ago (20+ years).

If you count pamphlets of the death cult, of any kind, then I do have quite a number of them in a cardbox with a huge label "enemy propaganda" on it (no kidding!).

And I do have two bibles in the same box... the German Luther bible I bought around the year 2000 when I felt like I should own one if I claim membership in that religion (this was also the bible I read at work when I had nothing to do), and the jehoover's witlesses translation - a gift from the local coven of JW.

I kept my NIV; it's got some great notes I took, showing my growing up years, thoughts from others, it's almost a journal.

Re-reading parts of the BigDaddy-O book since joining this website has been most illuminating. Especially those tender chapters in Joshua and Judges concerning the Lord-ordained murders of innocents, or brushing up on what in the hell was not forbidden to eat or wear in the Mosaic law.

I agree that to understand Western society, you really do need to be familiar with this book.

I have to admit, this is one area where I'm still hanging on. And I'm not entirely sure why other than there's obviously a part of me that's still very much wrapped up in all of this. I have all of my Bibles and truly, have no interest in getting rid of them, esp. my NIV Study Bible. As someone mentioned ^^ above, the notes alone in there are worth keeping.

But, I also have numerous Max Lucado books and I loved his writing in general...yet, I've been almost afraid to read them again? Is it afraid? I'm just not sure. There are a few others - classics almost, that I can't seem to part with. And by "part" I mean, take them off of my active bookshelves and put them in the basement. I have a ton of books downstairs that I've not gotten rid of...and truthfully, don't see myself getting rid of either. I guess part of it is sentimentality? It was just...everything to me. Even though I've discarded so many of the tenets of faith I held close, and even though I have some unexpected life changes b/c of it all, there also were wonderful, amazing moments in my life wrapped up in Christianity, in church, in the people. I suppose it's that I'm not quite ready to just kiss all of that goodbye.

Same goes for my humongous collection of Christian music. I will admit, that I do listen to some of that still, just b/c I like the music of it...even if I don't agree with the message.

Yes, I'm most definitely still in a stage of transition...have been for years.

Thanks to everyone for having replied to my message. Yeah, I'm rather a packrat myself, certainly with books; and as I said, I don't have any plans to unload most of them. (If I did, I would give them to church library or a second-hand place, or maybe to a relative.)

I mean, I must have spent quite a bit on the books (except for the minority I got secondhand). A few were rather expensive. Some of them I kinda regret getting at all (for example, i accidentally got a JW book once :HaHa: duh!)... :Doh:

The Bibles, too -- I think over my lifetime thus far (not very long) I've accumulated... something around 16 (I lost the really old ones)... :unsure: But, like some of you said, I'm even more reluctant to part with those.

I will probably keep the CDs, too; I like most of the music.

Lizard, that's neat. I once borrowed some old books that had belonged to one or the other of my minister relatives...

• 2 weeks later...

:ugh: way to much christian shit laying around my room 'cause if I got rid of it my mom would freak, I did however get rid of my christian CDs. gave 'em to my sister she loves that stuff and she had a ball listening to the 20+ CDs I gave her.

I still live at home and own 3 bible, the one I got when I was baptized, a pocket sized one and one I got for my birthday this year (talk about irony, I'd been wanting a message translation for a year and my parents get it after i've deconverted).

I also own a few left behind books, a book on apologetics and a few other autobiographys from missionarys and biographys of people like C. S. lewis. Most of these are in a box in my closet, when my mom asks why I tell her I don't read them often and I don't have room for them in my bookshelves, which is totally true my bookshelves are filled with schoolbooks, mangas and fantasy novels. I do keep my apologetics book out on my desk so it looks like I study it and my old devotions book is set in a pretty prominent area, alot of these books will be either burned because of their awfulness ( :grin: hehe not a word I know), or donated to a church or used bookstore, because if someone wants them they can have 'em I don't care about their religion.

But that's pretty much all the christian stuff I have though.

Nothing at all for me - haven't owned a bible or any kind of fundy publication in many, many years. I threw it all out long ago.

I kept one bible for reference, all the others I left with my ex-wife. I had purchsed the entire NIV with dramitzation on CD and I sold that on Ebay.

I have a first edition Bible signed by the authors. Parchment with stone covers.

\kidding

Bibles, Quran, BOM, Dead Sea scrolls, Watchtower pubs, etc. Kept in the bookcase next to the astrology, numerology, and tarot books.

I have a first edition Bible signed by the authors. Parchment with stone covers.

\kidding

Does it say "This is a work of fiction" on the inside of the front cover?

:HaHa:

Don't need the Paper Book Bible anymore, use e-Sword, freeware from http://www.e-sword.net/. With multiple translations, even languages. Useful for the discussions.

5 more to 6160

\kidding

Does it say "This is a work of fiction" on the inside of the front cover?

:HaHa:

104396[/snapback]

No, but it has an inscription: 'To Adam/Eve - hey guys, thanks for dreaming me up! And watch out for talking snakes lol! All the best - Yahweh.'

Responding to the OP, I had several books on theology, including an exhaustive concordance which probably weighed 25 Lbs. But, my favorite was a bible that my father had given me from his days as a missionary. In Morocco, horsemeat is as much a staple of the diet as beef is here, and we ate it often. Of course, it follows that horsehide was a popular leather, and my dad had covered this nice RSV with the stuff, tanned, but with the hair still on one side. It folded around the bible with an extended flap that fastened to metal snaps in the hide. It was black leather on the outside, but a sort of pale golden, stiff, but slick fur on the inside the was revealed when you unsnapped the bible for some holy rollin. Quite chic. I replaced the RSV in it with an NIV and I was ready to do battle, with my millions of little notes in the margins and post-its strewn throughout with aphorisms from recent sermons. It was my road warrior bible and I thought that it, and I, were the bees knees. Of course, within a week of finally leaving the church I threw that shit away. I wish I would have kept it. It was neat.