Goodbye Jesus

Speaking in Tounges, fact or fiction? Gift or not

Xthebuilder

Area 54, where are you?

I learned to speak in tongues because it was required.  It never just "came to me", so they worked with me and worked with me and coached me and coaxed me until I finally spewed a few syllables.  Now it's easy. 

I was wondering what would happen if I brought a couple of people with Tourette's Syndrome to church, and tried to get them to speak in tongues just for the entertainment.

That's great. Bring people withTourette's! :lmao:

It was hard for me to do it at first, but once it happened, you got the hang of how to let it happen. It's tribalism. I am thinking about starting up a new church called The First Church of Pentecostal Atheist. Our basic tenant of faith will be, "We practice post-modern tribalism without God, and with full abandon!" Now if I could just find where I left all those hits of acid 20 years ago! :scratch:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Checkmate

• a midnight star

Yep. That's why I said "verified."  I just remembered a funny story. My aunt Deana once raised her hands at the alter and quoted the pledge of allegiance in Spanish, and the people at the alter went crazy - "She's got the Holy Spirit!"  ahaha

I feel the spirt coming upon me.... ahhahah dkfjsdfklasreia fjskaf eir fl fjkptr sjfdk;saut eior jfk;jf ke

Typing in tongues if biblical, isn't it? :yellow:

I feel the spirt coming upon me.... ahhahah dkfjsdfklasreia fjskaf eir fl fjkptr sjfdk;saut eior jfk;jf ke

churchsign37nf.th.jpg

Area 54, where are you?

East of Area 51?

I learned to speak in tongues because it was required.  It never just "came to me", so they worked with me and worked with me and coached me and coaxed me until I finally spewed a few syllables.  Now it's easy. 

Say after me please: "blurb, blurb, ack, ack."

I was wondering what would happen if I brought a couple of people with Tourette's Syndrome to church, and tried to get them to speak in tongues just for the entertainment.

:lmao: That would be a cool event!

"Ashmackaback Fuck Buck Bulu Hulu Bitch Snackaracka Son of a Bitchidichi..."

Would be "Typing in Tongues", or "Typing in Fingers"... huh?

Sorry, shouldn't be joking here in the Colosseum...

[/joke mode off]

Would be "Typing in Tongues", or "Typing in Fingers"... huh?

Sorry, shouldn't be joking here in the Colosseum...

[/joke mode off]

???????? Where, precisely, is this "No Joking" sign hung up? Where are we, the "airport"? I thought we agreed not to ATTACK or be rude? Not to dispense with all comedy.

????????  Where, precisely, is this "No Joking" sign hung up?  Where are we, the "airport"?  I thought we agreed not to ATTACK or be rude?  Not to dispense with all comedy.

Okay. That's good. I'll keep on joking then! :grin:

I was thinking that I maybe was hijacking the thread with my stupid jokes. That's why my apologies. ;)

Your all making fun of it as if it's just someone pretending to be speaking a foreign language. If that's true then how come the pastor can interpret what someone is saying when speaking in tongues? HAH! :scratch::ugh:

If tongues is a real language, has anyone actually went up to another person and starting speaking tongues back and foward, and be able to interpret and TRANSLATE it to £nglish?

If that's true then how come the pastor can interpret what someone is saying when speaking in tongues? HAH!
is he, or is that person a staged actor, or is the dude not sure of what hes saying "Becuase hes being talked thru by god" (god's puppet, hes got his hand up his creations ass!!) and feels pressured to agree with w/e the pastor says? else risk excommunication? i unno lol

East of Area 51?

That's right. I thought area 54 sounded off. I guess I'm not that up on current mythologies, just the old ones.

confused with Studio 54?

Yeah I think that's what happened. Did the Roswold Greys ever perform there? :58:

My perspective is this: Get all christians who actually BELIEVE in this god to agree on the subject of speaking in tongues....

Then come talk to us. Until then, there are just as many bible believing denominations that will support with lots of biblical evidence that speaking in tongues is complete hogwash and self worship.

We don't even need to rebut it.

It was always fun to try to get them to do it in voice chat in Yahoo's christian room. For some reason, no one ever wanted to perform. I think people rather do it where they can be seen both flailing and flopping around and heard.

My perspective is this:  Get all christians who actually BELIEVE in this god to agree on the subject of speaking in tongues....

Then come talk to us.  Until then, there are just as many bible believing denominations that will support with lots of biblical evidence that speaking in tongues is complete hogwash and self worship.

We don't even need to rebut it.

I've got a better idea. Get all the Christian denominations to agree on EVERYTHING their bible teaches, (every doctrine, dogma, statement of faith and practice) and THEN come speak to us "heathens".

Until such time there is no need for US to refute or rebut anything. Why should I be expected to believe shit that even other Christians don't believe?

These idiots can't even agree on something as simple as "baptism". And Jesus himself got baptized! Talk about stupid! :loser:

I've got a better idea.  Get all the Christian denominations to agree on EVERYTHING their bible teaches, (every doctrine, dogma, statement of faith and practice) and THEN come speak to us "heathens".

Until such time there is no need for US to refute or rebut anything.  Why should I be expected to believe shit that even other Christians don't believe?

These idiots can't even agree on something as simple as "baptism".  And Jesus himself got baptized!  Talk about stupid!  :loser:

Grinch,

Sorry I could not post back sooner, I have been busy at work and school. Penetcost, the time, not the religion, is an event recorded in history. When the author wrote the book of Acts it was in a historical persepective first, then one of theological teachings.The theophanys that occoured, and the outpouring of the disciples speaking in other languages, this initial outpouring took form in other known languages by the nations that had gathered. Does that still happen today, I have to say yes, I have seen it occour in both north america and overseas.

the utterance, or gutteral speakings that one likes to make fun of is a prayer language, i do not believe that it is some form of spiritual orgasim, i do believe that it should occour in prayer in either small groups or gatherings. Church is a place this should happen......

Yet another proof that this "tongues" business is crap....

And if the Bible said that divine languages from GOd came from the rectum, they'd be farting liturgery instead and worshiping it.

Context context context.

The difference between a smurf and talking a snake is that a smurf is in not bible. (Unless your Hindu - then GOd reveals that he is in fact blue skin...)

\ the book of Acts it was in a historical persepective firs....

Raise some dead, flesh eater of God, and we'll talk about the veracity of historical claims from Acts.

Penetcost, the time, not the religion, is an event recorded in history.

So what is your historical evidence for this apart from one book.

Does that still happen today, I have to say yes, I have seen it occour in both north america and overseas.

the utterance, or gutteral speakings that one likes to make fun of is a prayer language,

Yes I have seen it too, not only in christianity, but in other religion too. So does that mean they are praying to Jesus?

Yes I have seen it too, not only in christianity, but in other religion too. So does that mean they are praying to Jesus?

My question too. Let's not forget that it is recorded historically occurring BEFORE Christianity. So I'm just waiting for the foreshadowing counterfeit argument!

the utterance, or gutteral speakings that one likes to make fun of is a prayer language, i do not believe that it is some form of spiritual orgasim, i do believe that it should occour in prayer in either small groups or gatherings. Church is a place this should happen......

Ok, I'm going to bite a little here.

"Prayer language" is not a biblical term. It is a modern post-experiential term read into the bible to fit the experience of non-intelligible uttering. The Topeka Kansas experience was them trying to emulate what happened in Acts 2. What they got was glossilalia (versus actual languages), an experience in many religions throughout the world today, then, and before the NT church.

It became a marketing gimmick, so to speak, to compete within the hotbed of the many religious cults that were emerging in California around the turn of the 20th century. Experience was lacking from religious, and this offered something appealing.

In all instances in the NT when tongues are mentioned, it refers to known languages. Tongues of Angels is the only verse that gets bent to apply, but is certainly less that solid enough to base an entire belief upon. That single verse is really not speaking of ecstatic, unintelligible speech. It is hyperbole in a seperate context. One last thing: When Paul says, "he is edifying himself", that is a BAD thing in the context he gives where EVERYTHING should be done for the edification of others! Hence, if someone is doing this, they are being selfish in the church, performing a form of spirtutal masturbation - in my opinion and experience.

Someone else highlighted other relevant versus in 1 Cor. I'll let you respond to that post.

I've got a better idea.  Get all the Christian denominations to agree on EVERYTHING their bible teaches, (every doctrine, dogma, statement of faith and practice) and THEN come speak to us "heathens".

That's what I Just said on CF. To 3 of them, all saying something different. I asked them to figure out which one of them is right, and let me know, then I'll believe.

It's funny how everything they say, if they HEARD themselves, would apply more to them than the person they tell.

"if you open your eyes, you'll see" yeah, hello, if YOU opened your eyes, you'd see too.

After reading that letter on the Jovial Atheist site, it finally makes full sense.

It's true, what's black is white, what's evil is not, what's good is bad, up, down, parkways, driveways, kids who climb on rocks; oh, sorry, wrong commercial.

The Whole point of the Bible is to show you what NOT to do in life. Right from the first 3 chapters is the only lesson you need to learn.

It's so plain to see, why haven't I seen it before. We had the essense, but not the true lesson.

Hi xthebuilder,

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. You've already established that you believe in the "gift of tongues". Whether understandable or a "heavenly language". And I take it you believe that it is done now in church only?

So...what conclusion can I draw from this? You and several other of your selected church folk believe that you are actually speaking a language by babbling incoherently as anyone with Tourette's syndrome. So what?

I believe that you are all faking something. As a matter of fact, I KNOW that you are faking it. I started out as a Charismatic. My church was HYPER-Charismatic. My pastor INSISTED that every member be FILLED with the Holy Spook complete with the evidence of speaking in tongues. I was a teacher, preacher and elder of this church.

I think it is safe to say that I KNOW a wee bit about this "speaking in tongues" issue.

It's a lie. You make up nonsense syllables, (I did it.) and people stand around and pretend to interpret your "utterances". It is CRAP. It's all a show meant to impress the other Christians with your psuedo-spirituality.

As far as I'm concerned, a TRUE indwelling of the “Holy Ghost” should be proven by evincing FRUIT of the Spirit, and not "gifts" of the Spirit. Why? Because anyone can fake a gift. ANYONE, even a “casual, compromising” Christian can make it LOOK like they possess a GIFT. (Gifts being teaching, speaking, giving, healing, prophecy, discernment, making money, etc.) But NO ONE can fake FRUIT. For a Christian to have FRUIT, you must ABIDE in "Christ". You can't fake LOVE, JOY, PEACE, LONGSUFFERING, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITHFULNESS, and SELF-CONTROL.

I am wondering…WHY are Christians so hell bent on trying to PROVE to unbelievers (and to one another) that GIFTS are for real? Why do you studiously ignore the FRUIT of the Spirit?

And why are YOU, xthebuilder, so much more occupied with “speaking in tongues”? What does it prove? What can be validated by this thing? ANYONE can do it. Even a servant of “Satan” can do it. I’ve done it. Many other members on this forum have done it. And anyone can pretend to "interpret" your babblings. So what? It PROVES nothing.

Babble away all you want. It will NEVER convince me of anything, other than convince me that YOU are an even stranger and more deluded person than your average, non-Charismatic Christian.

I am wondering…WHY are Christians so hell bent on trying to PROVE to unbelievers (and to one another) that GIFTS are for real?  Why do you studiously ignore the FRUIT of the Spirit?

98781[/snapback]

You raise good points about this. Is it perhaps along the same lines as those who need icons as objects to make the transcendent more real to them? Is it a substitute for idols - physical manifestations of the spirit world?