Goodbye Jesus

Speaking in Tounges, fact or fiction? Gift or not

Xthebuilder

Spirit possession is not restricted to Christians but has been and is practiced by many groups and cultures throughout the world.

Often the victims enter a trance and dance and do things which they would be unable to do in their conscious state of awareness. Many elderly and physically disabled persons have displayed this unique ability or behavior. Similar possessions occur in Santeria and Macumba.

Like Voodoo, Santeria came to the Americas with the millions of black slaves from West Africa, principally from the Yoruban tribes along the Niger River. Forced to convert to Catholicism, the slaves continued their religion in secret, passing along the ancient traditions either orally or in handwritten notebooks called 'liretas'. Gradually, the Yorubans began to see what they believed were the incarnations of their gods into the Catholic saints and syncretized the two faiths. Soon the Spanish and Portuguese slaves' masters became interested in the Yoruban magic and begun practicing Santeria themselves. Today, any large city with a large Hispanic poulation has many Santeros as well as devoted Catholics because many practice both religions or a combination. New York, Miami, Los Angeles and the countries of Cuba and Jamaica are Santeria strong holds. Brazilians practice it under such names as Candomble, Umbanda, and Quimbanda. A.G.H.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Checkmate

• a midnight star

My pastor INSISTED that every member be FILLED with the Holy Spook complete with the evidence of speaking in tongues.  I was a teacher, preacher and elder of this church.

98781[/snapback]

For those christians who claim that they are filled with God's Holy Spirit, the OT had something to say to them

Ezekiel 11:19-20 RSV

"And I will give them one heart, and PUT A NEW SPIRIT WITHIN THEM; I will take the stony heart out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, THAT THEY MAY WALK IN MY STATUTES AND KEEP MY ORDINANCES AND OBEY THEM; and they shall be my people, and I will be their God."

Ezekiel 36:26-27 RSV

" A new heart I will give you, and A NEW SPIRIT I WILL PUT WITHIN YOU and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I WILL PUT _MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU_ AND CAUSE YOU TO WALK IN MY STATUTES and BE CAREFUL TO OBSERVE MY ORDINANCES."

It clearly says right there that when an individual has God's Holy Spirit, God causes the individual "to walk in" [obey] his statutes, ordinances and laws. There are no qualifiers in the above statement which says that you have to follow some and not all. How many christians actually read this in their own bible?

Holy Spirit OT vs NT

Hi xthebuilder,

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.  You've already established that you believe in the "gift of tongues".  Whether understandable or a "heavenly language".  And I take it you believe that it is done now in church only?

I do not believe it is to be done in the church only, but I also know someone running around in a mall speaking in "tounges" may get buddy a stay in apadded room for a few nites...............

So...what conclusion can I draw from this?  You and several other of your selected church folk believe that you are actually speaking a language by babbling incoherently as anyone with Tourette's syndrome.  So what?

hmmmm, how about this scenario, if i am in my "prayer closet" with God, and in worship, and praise, and can not fully express what I feel, and I do the "Tourettes" thing, is that wrong? I mean its between myself and God, right.in that case gutteral language is justthat, my feelings emotions, etc expressing how i feel because words can not

I believe that you are all faking something.  As a matter of fact, I KNOW that you are faking it.  I started out as a Charismatic.  My church was HYPER-Charismatic.  My pastor INSISTED that every member be FILLED with the Holy Spook complete with the evidence of speaking in tongues.  I was a teacher, preacher and elder of this church.

I have attended some churches where the filling of the spirit "had" to be followed by the gift of tounges, I do not believe public speaking in tounges is a requirement of bieng baptized bythe HS, I do believe it is a requirement, I also believe that God can place messages on one , pneuma_discourse, and this can be expressed through utterances in an unknown language (followed by a biblically sound translation or prophecy) or in a known world language that someone can not speak(i have seen this occour on several occasions in the ukerane when i was overseas)

I think it is safe to say that I KNOW a wee bit about this "speaking in tongues" issue.

It's a lie.  You make up nonsense syllables, (I did it.) and people stand around and pretend to interpret your "utterances".  It is CRAP.  It's all a show meant to impress the other Christians with your psuedo-spirituality.

Prove its a lie, because you faked it everyone must be faking it....thats like saying that someone from the Rotary Club is a liar so everyone in the rotary club is a liar. Look I agree that there are fakes liars, cheats and scoundrels in organized religion, but I also know that there are genuine people who seek God, serve God and have no other motive than to grow in thier beliefs. Pentecost was a fulfillment of OT prophesy, it was the a sign of the end of the 50th nastiest days in the Christians history, it was a sign of empowerment to go and spread the gospel, to complete the work. During the intertestament period there was no prophets, no spirit filled leaders, the Israelites knew it, thats why when John came into the pic they knew that prophecy was to be fulfilled, and part of that was Christs promise of the indwelling of the HS for all who believe and ask..............

As far as I'm concerned, a TRUE indwelling of the “Holy Ghost” should be proven by evincing FRUIT of the Spirit, and not "gifts" of the Spirit.  Why?  Because anyone can fake a gift.  ANYONE, even a “casual, compromising” Christian can make it LOOK like they possess a GIFT.  (Gifts being teaching, speaking, giving, healing, prophecy, discernment, making money, etc.)  But NO ONE can fake FRUIT.  For a Christian to have FRUIT, you must ABIDE in "Christ".  You can't fake LOVE, JOY, PEACE, LONGSUFFERING, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITHFULNESS, and SELF-CONTROL.

I agree, that a walk is better than talk, but one is not less spiritual because they have this gift are they, yet if they profess this spirituality and do nothing, sit around and wait for the return of Christ, sit back and let the other guy do it, then yeah, i think that they are shallow people.. is our salvation based on works, nope on faith, yet how can one have faith if they do not reach out and grow in Christ...if we model our lives after what Christ did during His 3 year earthly ministry I believe that this world would be a better place, and you know as well as I thatthere are people who do that, live and show thier fruits!

I am wondering…WHY are Christians so hell bent on trying to PROVE to unbelievers (and to one another) that GIFTS are for real?  Why do you studiously ignore the FRUIT of the Spirit?

i do not

And why are YOU, xthebuilder, so much more occupied with “speaking in tongues”?  What does it prove?  What can be validated by this thing?  ANYONE can do it.  Even a servant of “Satan” can do it.  I’ve done it.  Many other members on this forum have done it.  And anyone can pretend to "interpret" your babblings.  So what?  It PROVES nothing.

Babble away all you want.  It will NEVER convince me of anything, other than convince me that YOU are an even stranger and more deluded person than your average, non-Charismatic Christian.

98781[/snapback]

this conversation is a small part of what i believe or who i am, i do reach out, i do not wait for pats on the back, i try to show through my life that Xian does not mean liar or hypocrate that we are different........Pentecostals, (my denomination) founded thier movement on a Holiness movement, they believed that once baptized in the HS we were to go fourth to all the earth, and for the past 100 yrs they have, yes there are bad apples in every basket, but bigger picture, there are a lot of good ones...........i do not think someone is less "holy" because they do not babble as it was put, i do not believe that thier salvation is at risk if they do not babble, i do believe that this gift was a part of the new covenant, that it is applicable today as it was 2000 yrs ago, and until Christ comes back, or recinds (sp) this gift, its a part of our walks, and at least it is a part of what the church is founded on............

98954[/snapback]

I see that you made an attempt to do some color and font coding of the text. Let me explain just a little how it works.

To start Bold text you use: [b]
And you end it with: [/b]

To start color: [color=blue]
To end color: [/color]

To start font: [font=times]
To end font change: [/font]

This is valid:
[font=time] some text [b] some bold text [/b] not bold anymore [/font]

But this is NOT valid:
[font=time] some text [b] some bold text [/font] ended font but not bold [/b] oops, this should be inside the [font][/font] section.

Did that make sense?

. Pentecost was a fulfillment of OT prophesy, it was the a sign of the end of the 50th nastiest days in the Christians history, it was a sign of empowerment to go and spread the gospel, to complete the work Christian can make it LOOK like they possess a GIFT.

98954[/snapback]

Which OT prophecy are you talking about?

Obviously you have not read Jer 31:27-36, which states the New Convenant

Jer 31:27-36

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast.

And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the LORD.

In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge.

But EVERY ONE SHALL DIE FOR HIS OWN INIQUITY: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

BUT THIS SHALL BE THE COVENANT that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I WILL PUT MY LAW IN THEIR INWARD PARTS, AND WRITE IT IN THEIR HEARTS; AND WILL BE THEIR GOD, and they shall be my people.

And tHEY SHALL TEACH NO MORE every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for THEY SHALL ALL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST OF THEM UNTO THE GREATEST OF THEM, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SIN NO MORE.

Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:

If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

Note the key items of the new covenant:

** A covenant is a contract.

Under the new covenant, God will reaffirm his existing laws with the people under a new contract.

** In the days of the new covenant, each person will die for their own sin.

This is confirmed by Ezek 18:20-28, where God declares that eACH MAN WILL DIE FOR HIS OWN SIN AND WILL REDEEM HIMSELF through his own actions and faithful obedience to God's Law.

** Unlike the old covenant, God will put his existing LAW DIRECTLY INSIDE PEOPLE AND WILL WRITE IT ON THEIR HEARTS SO THAT THEY FOLLOW IT WITHOUT FAIL. Each person will be in direct contact with God's will.

** No longer will people need to be taught by others about God, for EACH PERSON WILL KNOW GOD PERSONALLY AND DIRECTLY without the need for any intermediary.

** God will remember the people's sin no more, as their sins will be forgiven.

Also note the following:

There is no mention of any type of human sacrifice needed to die for the sins of others.

There is no mention of God's existing laws being replaced, canceled, or done away with.

The new covenant described by God in Jer 31:27-36 obviously hasn't arrived yet.

If it had already arrived, people would be following God's Law completely because it would be written in their hearts and minds so that they would not disobey it.

If it had already arrived, PEOPLE WOULD NOT NEED TO BE TAUGHT THROUGH BIBLE STUDY OR PREACHED TO, for every person would know God, just as he promised.

If the new covenant had already arrived THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR MISSIONARIES TO SPREAD THE WORD, FOR EVERYONE WOULD ALREADY HAVE IT DIRECTLY FROM GOD.

As I sad before those claim to have "God's Holy Spirit" will follow god's laws. The verses(Ezekiel 11:19-20,Ezekiel 36:26-27) which I gave in my previous post tie directly into the new covenant defined in Jer 31.

How many pentacostal christian actually observe the following

Observe the Sabbath by not working on Saturday?

Abstain from celebrating christmas (which is of Pagan origin)?

Follow God's Dietary restriction?

How many people in your church observe Leviticus 15:1-15 and Leviticus 20:18?

Are following the requirement of circumcision?

How many pentacostal stone people to death in case of any violation of any of the following?

Adultery

Incest

Beastility(Don't forget to Kill the innocent animal too)

For being a prostitute

The claim "that we are filled by the Holy Spirit" isn't substanciated by the actions. These violations by Christians laugh in the face of the instructions God gave in the Old Testament.

Even Jesus had something to say regarding those people who claim to they follow God(and filled with the Holy Spirit)

1 John 2:3-6

And hereby we(Christians) do know that we know him(Jesus), if we keep his commandments.

HE THAT SAITH, I KNOW HIM, AND KEEPETH NOT HIS COMMANDMENTS, IS A LIAR, AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM.

But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

As far as preaching about the Gospel goes

Mark 16:15-18

And he(Jesus) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

THEY SHALL TAKE UP SERPENTS; AND IF THEY DRINK ANY DEADLY THING, IT SHALL NOT HURT THEM; THEY SHALL LAY HANDS ON THE SICK, AND THEY SHALL RECOVER.

Does this ring true about Pentacostal christians? Do Pentacost really do all these things as Jesus promised they would? How many Pentacostal christians have taken up Sulphuric Acid and drunk it? How many Pentacostal christians have healed victims who are suffering with AIDS? How many Pentacostal christians have handled Cobras and Rattle Snakes?

So you want all of the benefits and rewards of being God's "chosen" people and his "elect", but you want to escape the hardwork that is required by your God

a TRUE indwelling of the “Holy Ghost” should be proven by evincing FRUIT of the Spirit,

When Pentacostal Christians start obeying God's law(Fruit of the spirit) as he commanded in his word, perhaps then we'll take Pentacostalism seriously

Penetcost, the time, not the religion, is an event recorded in history.

I still await your historical evidence

Xthebuilder,

When you want to quote someone and respond to them, just click the "quote" tab below that person's post, then click "reply" and type your response past the person's word. You can then copy and paste the begin of quote, and end of quote flags surrounding each part of someone's words if you want to break it apart like that. It makes discerning who's saying what, incredibly easy. Your post was barely readable. Don't feel concerned to ask anyone for help using these tools.

Which segways nicely into communication being for the benefit of others (i.e. "praying in tongues" being for no one's benefit but the speaker :lmao: ) I'm still waiting your response to some of the points I raised. But to add some comments to some things you said:

Pentecost was a fulfillment of OT prophesy, it was the a sign of the end of the 50th nastiest days in the Christians history

From whose perspective? I would argue that the Great Inquisition was the nastiest days in the Christians history. Just ask all those who were tortured and murdered by the Christians for not accepting their "Good News," a.k.a., The Gospels. Just had to add that, though it's not really pertinent to the topic.

I do not believe public speaking in tounges is a requirement of bieng baptized bythe HS, I do believe it is a requirement, I also believe that God can place messages on one , pneuma_discourse, and this can be expressed through utterances in an unknown language (followed by a biblically sound translation or prophecy) or in a known world language that someone can not speak(i have seen this occour on several occasions in the ukerane when i was overseas)

Could you please clarify your above statement? Do you believe that someone has to speak in tongues as evidence they have the Holy Spirit, whether in public or not? That's a yes or no question.

Utterances in an "unknown language". The references in I Cor 14 to "unknown" in the KJV are in italics. This means they were added by translators in their effort to add meaning to it. "Unknown" even if you accept it belongs in the translation, would not mean "unknown to any human” It would mean unknown to the speaker. "Unknown to any human" would be reading back into the text to try to explain a later experience. It is certainly not supported by Paul's reference to Isaiah's prophesy of the armies of Assyria. The Assyrians didn't speak gibberish. They spoke human language that was "another tongue" to Israel. This is just one example of what I mean by horseshit theology.

:eek:

Now THAT was probably the MOST ridiculous spectacle I have ever seen outside of a circus. How in the WORLD can that be considered anything BUT foolishness?

It's no wonder that the Baptists and Protestants denounce this behavior. How embarrassing! An obviously senile old man, staggering around, (being supported by other men) giggling and grinning like some deranged Cheshire Cat, calling out "drunk again!", while giggling idots slide out of their seats.

Can anyone imagine "Jesus", Peter or Paul doing such hi-jinks? Looks rather shameful and pathetic to me. Not very dignified. Why should I respect or listen to such people?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Slain in the spirit. Yes I remember this nonsense. To xtianbulder: Explain this crap from the bible. Try. I think this should help you see how the whole non-human language ecstatic speech crap is experientially based first then force read into the bible. You have yet to produce any half-ways credible biblical reading to support your tongues, let alone getting drunk in the spirit.

This is voodoo stuff boy, not a "counterfeit" of the "real" gift of the Holy Ghost, because this stuff pre-dates xtianity. You don't have a counterfeit 20 dollar bill today that has a date of 2096 on it. Counterfeits do not precede the fact, they always follow it.

or gutteral speakings that one likes to make fun of is a prayer language, i do not believe that it is some form of spiritual orgasim, i do believe that it should occour in prayer in either small groups or gatherings. Church is a place this should happen......

98575[/snapback]

Really? Are you now the apostle Xbuilder who has more wisdom than Paul, 2000+ years later? Is this a progressive revelation that you have now received? Perhaps we should add your teaching to the bible now in order to keep up the contradictions that are riddled throughout it's evil pages.

1 Corinthians 14

18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21In the Law it is written:

"Through men of strange tongues

and through the lips of foreigners

I will speak to this people,

but even then they will not listen to me,"[f] says the Lord.

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand[g] or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand[h]comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

98745[/snapback]

Actually it isn't a contradiction. One is talking about the private prayer language and the other (the one that is suppose to be translated) is one of the so-called "gifts of the hs", they are actually talking about two different things.

(ok, I'll stop playing devil's advocate! Promise!)

Here's Paul's take:

Whether there be tongues, they shall cease” (13:8). Tongues shall cease (Gr. patio), that is, they shall come to a complete halt. Who needs tongues? Only the untaught, carnal babes in Christ, for Paul added, “When I was a child, I spake as a child . . . but when I became a man, I put away childish things” (13:11). The word “spake” in context can only refer to speaking in tongues. So that Paul himself came to the place of Christian maturity, through God’s revelation to him, where tongues were no longer necessary. And so in the same tongues context he admonishes the Corinthians, “Brethren, be not children in understanding . . . but in understanding be men” (14:20). Experientially, tongues cease when the Christian matures on a diet of the meat of God’s Word. Actually tongues is baby talk.

Is speaking in tongues when a Xtian rolls on the ground and says "09m4jmf0pjfo0jfoi4ju9f4upojugporjgolvrjm3w;jgi9pu40g"?

102670[/snapback]

What you were doing there is a recent outpouring of the Holy Ghost to the churches known as typing in tongues (or typing in fingers as Han put it). Seriously though, yes they can roll on the ground, rock back and forth, run down the aisles, fall over pews, and even do jumping jacks (I've seen that). Rolling isn't a prerequisite for tongues though, just making a break with rational thought like the practitioners of Voodoo do. :bounce:

(Or should I put it: the practitioners of Voodoo do too)?

I was channel surfing late one night and stumbled across one of the creepiest things I've ever seen on TBN. It was a church full of writhing, twisted bodies, all of them cackling like one of the demons from Evil Dead. Meanwhile, an extremely thick-necked eastern eurpoean pastor in a very nice but tight fitting suit, is gleefully grinning at his congregation, and, with a voice I can only describe as having the same quality as Dalph Lundren when he told Rocky "I must break you", saying "Yeeeeessssssss, taake a deeeeeeeeep driiiink" over and over, and then laughing like the Sesame Street Count, " AH AH AHHHHHH!"

I couldn't look away. It was one of the most evil feeling things I have ever see.

Eeek! I've done those things too. Laughing and being "drunk" in the spirit... urgh... (I don't want to look and be reminded of my stupid behavior)

I'll never forget the day my father tried to relate to me why he believed in the holy spirit. He said he had prayed for a sign from God, and while he sat in contemplation he said that Jesus gave him the words(syllables) " Ahr Eee Mah See Ahh".

"Well, Dad, what does that mean?''

"I don't know, son."

If speaking in tongues is so miraculous, then why does EVERY SINGLE BABY IN THE WORLD DO IT? Just wondering.

If speaking in tongues is so miraculous, then why does EVERY SINGLE BABY IN THE WORLD DO IT? Just wondering.

103996[/snapback]

I think to answer that we need to clarify terminology for both ourselves and for the Christians. "Tongues" is a reference to foreign languages. Babel is what babies do. So you have hit up the reality of the whole phenomenon. They are speaking in "babble".

In this sense, it is a regression to infancy..... and thus, fulfilling the scripture which says, "Except you become like a little child, you shall not enter into the kingdom of God." Is salvation therefore dependant on babbling, drooling, and badly pooing our diapers? Is that next Mr. Hagen? :woopsie:

I think to answer that we need to clarify terminology for both ourselves and for the Christians. "Tongues" is a reference to foreign languages. Babel is what babies do. So you have hit up the reality of the whole phenomenon. They are speaking in "babble"

Right, but, given the ambiguity of scripture, a case can be made for an angel language, or prayer language, that the charismatics believe is their glossolalia. Of course, one can also make a case for the disappearance of the miraculous gifts with the death of the apostles. One can also make the case that tongues was simply a lesser sign, not meant to be the huge denominational rift that it is today. One can also make the case that tongues was necessary in order for the conversion of the gentiles to take place. The bible is an idealogical buffet, from which nearly anyone can piece together a meal that suits their taste.

In this sense, it is a regression to infancy..... and thus, fulfilling the scripture which says, "Except you become like a little child, you shall not enter into the kingdom of God." Is salvation therefore dependant on babbling, drooling, and badly pooing our diapers? Is that next Mr. Hagen?

Robert Tilton will always be the best tongue speaking charlatan. With his " coda ba sa ta"s and his "bought-a honda shouldda bought-a toyota"s. I love that guy so much I want to punch him in the face.

Whether there be tongues, they shall cease” (13:8). Tongues shall cease (Gr. patio), that is, they shall come to a complete halt. Who needs tongues? Only the untaught, carnal babes in Christ, for Paul added, “When I was a child, I spake as a child . . . but when I became a man, I put away childish things” (13:11). The word “spake” in context can only refer to speaking in tongues. So that Paul himself came to the place of Christian maturity, through God’s revelation to him, where tongues were no longer necessary. And so in the same tongues context he admonishes the Corinthians, “Brethren, be not children in understanding . . . but in understanding be men” (14:20). Experientially, tongues cease when the Christian matures on a diet of the meat of God’s Word. Actually tongues is baby talk.

See according to what i was taught, it was a reference to how we were suppose to grow in the "word". When we were baby christians we would only be able to take the milk of the word, but as we matured in xanity then we could and would "eat the meat of the word".

1 Peter 2:

2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

Hebrews 5:

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, F15 even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Cor 3:

1 Corinthians 3:1-4

1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

1 Cor 14: (the chapter following your quote, remember the bible wasn't written in verses and chapters, they are considered to be letters)

1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth F53 him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Just for coriosity sake, why do you think that "spake" means tongues?