Goodbye Jesus

Suicide

Brother Jeff

Glad to hear from you Jeff! Very glad that you are feeling better and looking forward to therapy.

• Like 2

I am so happy that you are feeling better! Welcome home my friend! :grin: look forward to your posts!! hug!

• Like 1

Jeff, so glad you are back but even more glad that the therapy you just received was so encouraging to you. Your planned therapy sessions and new outlook seem so positive.

I think we have a miracle! Just now, whilst mowing the lawn, I ripped one in full confidence that the motor noise would drown out the report, never suspecting that this hole-y emission was the answer to a farcial prayer from Bro Jeff. Bless you, Brother Jeff, and praise the Holy Farter. Only when I checked this thread did I realize that this gift was not wrought of complex sugars but simple gratitude to all well-wishers.

The prognosis you relay is most encouraging. I hope they have it right this time and you are on the right road for a complete recovery.

I think we have a miracle! Just now, whilst mowing the lawn, I ripped one in full confidence that the motor noise would drown out the report, never suspecting that this hole-y emission was the answer to a farcial prayer from Bro Jeff. Bless you, Brother Jeff, and praise the Holy Farter. Only when I checked this thread did I realize that this gift was not wrought of complex sugars but simple gratitude to all well-wishers.

The prognosis you relay is most encouraging. I hope they have it right this time and you are on the right road for a complete recovery.

Bless the LARD (and His buds who are also somehow magically Him), Brother! The earnest magical thinking of a man committed to believing the Glorious Bullshit about Kryasst availeth much! :grin:

Seriously though, thanks, Ro-bear, me too!

Welcome back! Several years ago, I sunk into a horrible depression and was diagnosed as bipolar after an unsuccessful suicide attempt. The drugs they gave me to treat the disorder made everything worse. After talking to my family practice doctor, he had me tested for diabetes on a hunch. Turned out I didn't have a personality disorder. I was going through bizarre mood swings and behaviors when my blood sugar crashed. Anyway, the point is, there is also the chance you have something that is very easily treatable that has gone undetected and isn't something a mental health counselor can help you with, so get yourself checked out by a regular doctor, too. Hormonal imbalance, blood sugar imbalance, liver problems, and many other conditions can affect your mind much like a mental health or personality disorder.

I've heard about blood sugar and hormonal issues mimicking mental illness, so I'm trying hard to cover all the bases. Testosterone and thyroid levels look good now. I will have the blood sugar angle checked. :) Thanks, Brother!

Glory!

Thanks Eugene, Deva, Margee, and EVERYBODY! Brother Jeff is BACK!! :HappyCry::woohoo:

Glory!

• Super Moderator

Welcome back! Glory!

GLORY! Good news indeed! :yellow:

• Like 1

Just to show you where I was even more when I went to the hospital. I wrote this within six hours of being admitted to the mental health unit:

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

I don't want to EVER be that depressed again if I can avoid it. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

SO lucky to still be around, though admittedly the depression is still there. It's just less intense than it was that morning and for the few weeks preceding it.

One of the nurses, Heidi, stressed to me repeatedly that I needed to learn "distress tolerance" skills. So that is what I am working on really hard right now...

That hospital (Providence Hospital in Anchorage) - the adult mental health unit - is an awesome place to be, if you need it. I can't rate the quality of their services highly enough!! The doctors, nurses, therapists... everybody there is just top-notch! Just SO GRATEFUL to know that there are so many people out there in the world who REALLY CARE!

• Like 2

I will have the blood sugar angle checked. :)

how the hell do you even check your blood sugar??

SO lucky to still be around, though admittedly the depression is still there. It's just less intense than it was that morning and for the few weeks preceding it.

One of the nurses, Heidi, stressed to me repeatedly that I needed to learn "distress tolerance" skills. So that is what I am working on really hard right now...

That hospital (Providence Hospital in Anchorage) - the adult mental health unit - is an awesome place to be, if you need it. I can't rate the quality of their services highly enough!! The doctors, nurses, therapists... everybody there is just top-notch! Just SO GRATEFUL to know that there are so many people out there in the world who REALLY CARE!

Distress tolerance?

Either way, nice you got help jeff, good luck with the depression, i don't know what you're going through, but i've had papers like that before too, it's nice to see someone gets help when they need it

Glad to see you got help and are on the road to recovery Jeff.

Jeff, it's great to see your smiling face (and smell your glorious farts?) around here again. I'm glad you got excellent care and treatment in the hospital and I hope that they will come up with the proper diagnosis and treatment for you. Try to relax, enjoy life, and take it one day, hour, minute, second at a time.

Hugs,

noob

• Like 1

Jeff, I’m sorry I missed this thread all together until now. I’m happy to see you are doing well. I have fought depression my entire life and let me tell you it can be beat. Suicide should never be the answer and it still creeps up in the darkest moments, but you have proven your strength and ability to fight that demon. Only after being revived after my suicide, waking up in the hospital some days later, did I realize how much it affected everyone around me. Even people who I didn’t know we heart broke and saddened by it. Yes I still struggle from time to time, but I’ve learned how to fight it, as you have and are. You keep fighting man, you deserve to enjoy your life!!! Your strength and courage are incredible!:woohoo:

• Like 2

The two methods I am aware of are the classic "pin prick" in the finger, which I understand is how most diabetics test their blood sugar levels. And then there is a "fasting" blood sugar test used to test for hypoglycemia (chronic low blood sugar). Not sure how that works, but I have heard of the test.

Jeff...You are an excellent writer...have you ever thought about pursuing it? As painful as your rants were, I couldn't take my eyes off 'em. Seriously, man...think about it!

Distress tolerance?

Either way, nice you got help jeff, good luck with the depression, i don't know what you're going through, but i've had papers like that before too, it's nice to see someone gets help when they need it

Yeah, that's a clinical term. I got this glorious handout in the hospital and will be keeping it handy for quite a while, I would imagine.

distresstolerance1.jpg

distresstolerance2.jpg

The underlining done on the sheet is mine - ideas that sounded good to me. The handwriting on the sheet was contributed by Heidi, one of the nurses on the unit. Great-looking redhead and a very nice, caring, and helpful person. Yeah, I may be aging and dealing with serious mental health issues, but I'm not dead yet. :grin:

I will miss them all (nurses, therapists, etc.) for a while, but I am still in awe of how awesome that place is, if you need it. Incredibly caring and helpful people! I hope I run into them sometime out in the community. There may be a "no touching" rule up on the mental health unit (for good reason), but I'm really into giving hugs. So if I see Heidi or Nikki or any of the other folks when I'm out and about around Anchorage or nearby, then they'll get a great big hug from me... If they're okay with it... :HaHa:

I got a chuckle out of the fact that it's so obvious that the handout was written by a woman. I'm not really in to making my nails look pretty, for example. But hey, still plenty of good ideas for us guys... :grin:

• Like 1

Jeff...You are an excellent writer...have you ever thought about pursuing it? As painful as your rants were, I couldn't take my eyes off 'em. Seriously, man...think about it!

Hey George, I have considered pursuing it and not done so, but thanks for the encouragement! :)

Once again, thanks to everybody for helping me pull through a really dark and miserable time... and for reminding me again and again how much inner strength and courage I have access to when I need it. My inner spook is STRONG! Glory! :grin::woohoo:

Just a simple blood test.

• Like 1

Hey George, I have considered pursuing it and not done so, but thanks for the encouragement! :)

Jeff, I know you are also very up on computers. Have you considered maybe helping people install their new computers? Small business of your own perhaps? I have no idea how you break into this line of work. But I know there are a lot of older folks in this part of the country that could use some help. I hired someone to do it for me.

You are quite talented Jeff.

• Like 1

Jeff, I know you are also very up on computers. Have you considered maybe helping people install their new computers? Small business of your own perhaps? I have no idea how you break into this line of work. But I know there are a lot of older folks in this part of the country that could use some help. I hired someone to do it for me.

You are quite talented Jeff.

Hey Deva, thanks! Something to consider, but I'm actually not as current on computer hardware technology as I wish I was. I worked for Dell back in the late 1990's in their corporate tech support department (on the phones) and loved it, but now I get frustrated with my Dad when I try to help him with a computer problem or explain a computer concept that seems simple to me but that is hard for him as a non-techie to get his mind around. I think the problem there has much more to do with my lack of patience than with his lack of comprehension. :HaHa:

But still, it's definitely something to consider... :)

Yeah, that's a clinical term. I got this glorious handout in the hospital and will be keeping it handy for quite a while, I would imagine.

post-16-0-57608600-1306353292_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-39134700-1306353318_thumb.jpg

The underlining done on the sheet is mine - ideas that sounded good to me. The handwriting on the sheet was contributed by Heidi, one of the nurses on the unit. Great-looking redhead and a very nice, caring, and helpful person. Yeah, I may be aging and dealing with serious mental health issues, but I'm not dead yet. :grin:

I will miss them all (nurses, therapists, etc.) for a while, but I am still in awe of how awesome that place is, if you need it. Incredibly caring and helpful people! I hope I run into them sometime out in the community. There may be a "no touching" rule up on the mental health unit (for good reason), but I'm really into giving hugs. So if I see Heidi or Nikki or any of the other folks when I'm out and about around Anchorage or nearby, then they'll get a great big hug from me... If they're okay with it... :HaHa:

I got a chuckle out of the fact that it's so obvious that the handout was written by a woman. I'm not really in to making my nails look pretty, for example. But hey, still plenty of good ideas for us guys... :grin:

These are great!

Phanta

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Jeff,

Thanks for posting that distress tolerance handout you got at the hospital. Very helpful (and timely) for me. Glad you're back and on track to healthy happiness.

------------

Also, as far as Deva's idea about you and computers -- I also have someone who comes to my house when I get stumped. He got laid off screwed by one by of the local companies around here and went into business for himself. He says it turned out to be the best thing for him in the long run.

Good luck in whatever you route you decide on.

• Like 1