Goodbye Jesus

What are the Scientific odds?

Guest acorn

Nice work Acorn.

If you keep this up, you'll win a Nobel Prize!!!

Why start a thread if you are not going to post in it?

I think you left out one important process of "simple" science".

That is "peer review". Give us some links that prove your statments.

First of all, what you call a "mythological event" could simply refer to an UNEXPLAINED event for 2000 years ago. Manna from heaven? It's bug poo (literally).

Firstborn all dying? With all the diseases at the time, typhoid, maleria, what have you (that's not all pointed out in the bible at least not every instance). Whatever IT was had to have killed the parents too, or the firstborn deaths wouldn't have been as noticable. But as property could not be passed into the hands of the younger children without their having someone holding in in trust until the younger kids came of age to inherit, it became apparant (and a legal hassle) that the firstborn were dying. Which from an economic perspective, THAT became the crisis.

Parents and firstborn both working the same fields, exposed to the same agents in livestock. Yeah, they're going to die.

Eclipses used to be dire omens because they weren't understood.

So just what are you referring to as mythological in the first place? Surely not natural disasters. Or events with only one person as witness that isn't recorded anywhere else EXCEPT the bible.....oh wait....that would be MOST of the text now wouldn't it? :Doh:

No, the events of the Bible were often witnessed by HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of people.

Except most were uncapable of reading or writing, and the rest forgot. You know, nothing special about a guy parting a sea, or someone, I don't know, WALKING ACROSS ONE.

:)

I KNOW THAT MANY NON BELIEVERS SUSPECT THAT THE CHURCH EMBODIMENT HAS SOMEHOW CORRUPTED THE BIBLE.

Huh? :shrug: Who cares?

What you are doing is corrupting Science! Now that concerns me. :nono:

So you learned something new in Sunday School and couldn't wait to show off your new found wisdom. I am soooo impressed.

Have you ever read a "real" science book? You sound like a total moron.

Guest acorn
Huh?  :shrug:   Who cares?

What you are doing is corrupting Science! Now that concerns me.  :nono:

So you learned something new in Sunday School and couldn't wait to show off your new found wisdom. I am soooo impressed. 

Have you ever read a "real" science book? You sound like a total moron.

Actually, science has consumed our ability to reason and have faith, the facts are starting to override the faith. Isnt that the whole point of Jesus saying "do you believe" , the miracles he performed were miracles that nobody could "scientifically " explain. What a bold comment to make for someone that has no idea about what I do or where I go. I actually though just like you, until I read a Bible. So, I ask given that knowledge is the actual facts and wisdom is how you apply the knowledge you have, Hows that working for you? I apply what I know in wisdom, and I dont have to steep down to the level of name calling. :HaHa:

Guest acorn
No, the events of the Bible were often witnessed by HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of people.

Except most were uncapable of reading or writing, and the rest forgot. You know, nothing special about a guy parting a sea, or someone, I don't know, WALKING ACROSS ONE.

:)

Ah Yeah, that makes alot of since to me. So, if someone did all those things in front of you at that time you wouldnt believe it, or are you saying that since they werent on an intelligence level that you are they dont count. What are you saying, or are you trying to look smatr for everyone.

Guest acorn
I think you left out one important process of "simple" science".

That is "peer review". Give us some links that prove your statments.

4th grade science books, about simple experiments and the structure of all science. :Doh:

acorn:Actually, science has consumed our ability to reason and have faith, the facts are starting to override the faith.

:ugh: If the Facts are overriding your Faith. One must conclude that it's your Faith that's wrong, not the facts. :49:

Guest acorn
:ugh:   If the Facts are overriding your  Faith. One must conclude that it's your Faith that's wrong, not the facts.  :49:

Well, unfortunately, faith is the reason by my beliefs were all still here on earth. If the Bible is accurate then by Noahs faith that God told him about the flood and what to do he did it, we have this world still here for that very reason..Hmmm.

Acorn, Do you care what so ever about the Truth? Do you care anything about Reality? Or Do you wish to blindly believe whatever fable you're spoon-fed?

How can you convince others you're Right if the Facts go against you (??) How can you willingly believe something that has Zero FACTS? WTF?

:poke:

Ah Yeah, that makes alot of since to me. So, if someone did all those things in front of you at that time you wouldnt believe it, or are you saying that since they werent on an intelligence level that you are they dont count. What are you saying, or are you trying to look smatr for everyone.

It should make sense to you. After all, all religion -and subsequently the bible- are rooted by a bunch of stories and tales representing one person's (namely the storytellers) perspective regarding a particular event. Which is of course limited by the storytellers understanding of natural and unexplainable events for the time.

Then you take into account how many times the story is re-told. Not to mention embellished by subsequent storytellers. Very easy to do when the "history" is an oral tradition.

Then comes the fine day when some literate tale-teller comes along and writes down the story. Has the story stopped evolving? No. The story is translated into different languages which may or may not have words of identical meaning, and therefore definitions for some of the original concepts recorded in a "foreign" hand relating the story.

So give or take 2000 years or so, and we have this debate (and likely many others) centered on a badly written book full of stories that barely resemble the original events that inspired the stories in the first place, and trying to apply science to the tome.

Um....that don't work. You cannot apply scientific theory to the bible as it doesn't represent accurate depictions of events in the first place.

And the way the bible is written gives some clues to the fact that these are STORIES not historical representations. Remember the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? Basically a major event hits the city Lot lives in and he and his family are running for their lives. Lot's wife looks back, and is turned into a pillar of salt.

How does the teller of this tale know she is turned to salt? Was he there watching? In the midst af a disaster where everyone is running for their lives did this storyteller calmly walk up to Lot's wife and lick her thus confirming that she was now salt?

Or maybe the event in question was volcanic and all the escaping refugees were coated in white ash. Lot's wife looked back at the city and froze in terror. Lot was still running with his daughters and therefore his last sight of his wife was of her staring at the city while covered in ash. They got seperated and he never saw her again.

And the "mythology" grew around the reality. You can apply science to reality, not mythology.

And as for my friend there appearing smart? At least he's not trying to convince himself that mythology is reality. Now that REALLY isn't smart.

I actually though just like you, until I read a Bible.

:shrug: I thought like you (I was a moron) until I picked up a science book. :shrug:

the facts are starting to override the faith.

HALLELUJAH! It's about damn time! Jeez, you said that like it's a bad thing...

bdp

Acorn, below are some of your recent comments

Well, unfortunately, faith is the reason by my beliefs were all still here on earth. If the Bible is accurate then by Noahs faith that God told him about the flood and what to do he did it, we have this world still here for that very reason..Hmmm.

Isnt that the whole point of Jesus saying "do you believe" , the miracles he performed were miracles that nobody could "scientifically " explain. What a bold comment to make for someone that has no idea about what I do or where I go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read them both very slowly several times. As far as I can determine, they make no sense whatsoever. You seem to be ranting, rather than responding.

My comment about you being a moron was childish, but you make it so easy for anyone to respond with ridicule. If you do have good reasons for what you believe, you certainly have not presented them well. Even if you did present them well, we have all heard them before and you would not be making any headway here. Christians come in here all them and insist that we are fools for refusing to believe in stories that are no less ridiculous and have just as much proof as Jack-And-The-Beanstalk.

I remember in my former life when I would insist to all would listen than an angel delivered golden plates to man in New York State in the early 19th century. No one would believe me; and my church even had signed documents to the validity of the claim! Why should they have believed me? The story was ridiculous. And there is nothing different about your story either, except for the fact that a higher percentage of individuals have accepted it.

Life is so much more pleasant, now that I don’t have spread the idiocy to others in a vain attempt to bolster my own faith. Sorry acorn, but I don’t believe anything you say about your little faith. Been there, done that.

Isn't that the whole point of Jesus saying "do you believe" , the miracles he performed were miracles that nobody could "scientifically " explain.

If this was true, then Jesus was asking the people who actually saw him. I did not see Jesus and I'm pretty sure you didn't either. Don't you realise? You are taking the word of someone else and claiming it as absolute truth. You are doing this in the face of another problem.

science has consumed our ability to reason and have faith, the facts are starting to override the faith.

You admitted that the facts and your faith are not on the same side.