Goodbye Jesus

Holy Laughter

Suzy

Just to show it has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit:

That video was very good! Made me laugh this morning! good point Suzy!

I went to the vineyard chruch for a while and I have to admit - I did love it when everyone broke out in laughter - Made me laugh for sure - I fell right out of my chair!!! I thought we were all fuckin' nuts and that made it more funny!

I LOVE laughter! We need more laughter!

That's sweet Margee! Made me laugh too.

Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho..

This is hilarious! Go ahead and laugh in the spirit!!

Does that still happen in churches? I thought it was a 90s fad. Certainly made a lot of churches look bloody stupid... well even more stupid than they normally looked.

The Holy Spirit hits German weather woman

Does that still happen in churches? I thought it was a 90s fad. Certainly made a lot of churches look bloody stupid... well even more stupid than they normally looked.

In an Assemblies of God church I went to, there was a lot of discussion about holy laughter and if it were of the spirit or not. No one wanted to do holy laughter unless it was of the spirit. That made me think that holy laughter was as fake as speaking in tongues since it took discussion over what the spirit approved of. If everyone were of the same spirit then everyone would have known what was acceptable to the spirit or not. This was also during the late 1990s. Churches always do what brings in the most money and members for that church. Christianity is a turn-key business, especially in the USA where god's chosen live and sell their merchandise to each other as 'Christian operated businesses.' Of course everyone knows we get only honest deals and fair treatment from businesses who operate as a Christian Operated Business <sarcasm.>. The churches over here will drain every nickle out of holy laughter before they quit its practice.

Game show host gets hit with the 'holy spirit' of laughter.

I smoked some weed the other day that gave me some holy ghost laughter. Purely for medicinal purposes of course. :lmao:

• Like 1

I never understood HS laughter, it just made me feel even more weird cos I'd be the one who wasn't laughing. I think I'm just boring!

In an Assemblies of God church I went to, there was a lot of discussion about holy laughter and if it were of the spirit or not. No one wanted to do holy laughter unless it was of the spirit. That made me think that holy laughter was as fake as speaking in tongues since it took discussion over what the spirit approved of. If everyone were of the same spirit then everyone would have known what was acceptable to the spirit or not. This was also during the late 1990s. Churches always do what brings in the most money and members for that church. Christianity is a turn-key business, especially in the USA where god's chosen live and sell their merchandise to each other as 'Christian operated businesses.' Of course everyone knows we get only honest deals and fair treatment from businesses who operate as a Christian Operated Business <sarcasm.>. The churches over here will drain every nickle out of holy laughter before they quit its practice.

I'm with you on that! If it was of the spirit, there'd be no discussion. I can recall going to a leadership meeting in my church in the late 90s. Their philosophy was they weren't going to prevent it, but they weren't going to promote it. As it happened, I only ever saw one person overcome with the holy laughter in my church after that and he had mental problems anyway.

A christian also insisted that it was biblical and attempted to blatantly take scripture out of context to support it (scriptures about people being full of joy... like that means they were laughing!). He even made even more of an idiot out of himself by pausing to pray to God and saying "May my brother here be over come by holy laughter by the end of the evening."

Didn't happen

I never understood HS laughter, it just made me feel even more weird cos I'd be the one who wasn't laughing. I think I'm just boring!

People left churches in droves because of it, at least down here in New Zealand. Oh yeah, the HS was really behind it. :lol:

One of my friends made a good point. He said that in his church it would happen at the wrong time. ie, when they were in the middle of serious worship. It would just ruin the entire atmosphere and the serious worship would be obliterated.

I think laughter is holy, in a sense. But this "holy laughter" shit from the churches just takes a genuine human emotion and turns it into a way to prance and go "look how sanctified I am!" Which is dumb, and strips the genuine and holy human spirit out of whatever laughter they generate. Which is just faked, then self-perpetuating.

I'm all for being a genuine human - whether it's laughter or weeping. These pentecostal-type churches just play with emotions and make a puppet-play out of real humans, which emotionally stunts them. That's not healthy, or very spiritual, imo.

People left churches in droves because of it, at least down here in New Zealand. Oh yeah, the HS was really behind it. :lol:

One of my friends made a good point. He said that in his church it would happen at the wrong time. ie, when they were in the middle of serious worship. It would just ruin the entire atmosphere and the serious worship would be obliterated.

That is very true. I remember similar things with people suddenly having a loud shouty 'prophecy' from God, hysterical Holy Laughter or just juping up and down loudly and weirdly at an utterly inappropriate time - you'd be in the middle of some serious contemplative or really intense 'worship' and then some idiot would ruin it. I recall finding it weird that God would disrupt something that had previously been going so well lol

I think laughter is holy, in a sense. But this "holy laughter" shit from the churches just takes a genuine human emotion and turns it into a way to prance and go "look how sanctified I am!" Which is dumb, and strips the genuine and holy human spirit out of whatever laughter they generate. Which is just faked, then self-perpetuating.

I'm all for being a genuine human - whether it's laughter or weeping. These pentecostal-type churches just play with emotions and make a puppet-play out of real humans, which emotionally stunts them. That's not healthy, or very spiritual, imo.

I agree. I also agree that penty kind of churches take emotions to the extreme and ruin their value. At times I'd think 'maybe if I just cried harder/louder/longer/more deeply *then* God would take the pain away and make me feel better and give me that joy I should have...'

I didn't think the the holy laughter was a bad thing. Laughing is healthy, it makes people feel good, so I thought maybe that was the purpose of God with it. (Now of course, I don't think it had anything to do with God and I realize it's not even biblical.)

What I felt disturbed by were all these animal sounds, crazy actings. It happened that in the middle of a preaching people jumped up from their seat and started to run around making funny noises, as in trans. I never felt comfortable about that, although I tried hard to accept it telling to myself: if God wants this to happen, who am I to question it? But I could never understand what could God's purpose be with people making total fools of themselves. It never happened to me, luckily.

I spoke in tongues (still do, which proves it has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit) and I sometimes got floored when a preacher prayed for me, but I don't remember it as some great, magnificent experience. I just got floored, stood up and that was it. I didn't feel fantastic or something. And nothing changed in my life or in me. :shrug: I didn't fall deliberately but I think I could have stayed standing if I really wanted. In my opinion you are just being caught up with the hype and peer pressure and mass hysteria and music and the fact that everybody else is doing it when that happens. Subconsciously you also want it to happen, because that's a sign of being a "good Xtian" if the HS fills you.

Apart from the speaking in tongues (which was adapted from pagan religions by early Xtians IMO) none of these are even biblical, yet Pentacostals think it's a sign of God approving them.

• Like 1

I spoke in tongues (still do, which proves it has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit) and I sometimes got floored when a preacher prayed for me, but I don't remember it as some great, magnificent experience. I just got floored, stood up and that was it. I didn't feel fantastic or something. And nothing changed in my life or in me. :shrug: I didn't fall deliberately but I think I could have stayed standing if I really wanted. In my opinion you are just being caught up with the hype and peer pressure and mass hysteria and music and the fact that everybody else is doing it when that happens. Subconsciously you also want it to happen, because that's a sign of being a "good Xtian" if the HS fills you.

I experienced the same and have come to the same conclusions as you on this one. You don't want to be the only one standing when everyone else is going down. You want to be one of God's chosen too! So you're standing there and you feel a little light headed or a bit faint. "Hey! It's the Holy spirit! Ooooohh... maybe he's gonna knock me down. I'm about to be slain in the spirit. Oooh, a little wobble... I better allow the holy spirit to take control... hey there I gooooooooo...'

I experienced the same and have come to the same conclusions as you on this one. You don't want to be the only one standing when everyone else is going down. You want to be one of God's chosen too! So you're standing there and you feel a little light headed or a bit faint. "Hey! It's the Holy spirit! Ooooohh... maybe he's gonna knock me down. I'm about to be slain in the spirit. Oooh, a little wobble... I better allow the holy spirit to take control... hey there I gooooooooo...'

Exactly.

I'm also wondering about... I never understood why blaspheming the HS is unforgivable. And here's a thought. Of course just speculation, but here it goes: speaking in tongues is not an original Xtian invention. They adapted it from pagan religions. Maybe in early Xtianity there were people in the Church who questioned it and pointed it out: "hey, pagan religions do it too, so maybe it's demonic". And someone wanted such accusations to stop, so they made this rule (and put it in Jesus's mouth) that it's unforgivable if you question it.

I saw something on laughter on the Sid Roth show It's supernatural. This baptist pastor went to a meeting with someone with spiritual gifts and he fell down laughing for 2 hours with energy running up and down his body and after that, today, he has the power to heal others. I think that is phenomenal. He is talking about how it is all about love now, every thought, word, action. He is like a newager but it is a christian. I am not sure what to think about this.

I saw something on laughter on the Sid Roth show It's supernatural. This baptist pastor went to a meeting with someone with spiritual gifts and he fell down laughing for 2 hours with energy running up and down his body and after that, today, he has the power to heal others. I think that is phenomenal. He is talking about how it is all about love now, every thought, word, action. He is like a newager but it is a christian. I am not sure what to think about this.

I don't believe something just because Xtians say it.