Sign in to follow this  
Guest Valk0010

What Are You Listening To? (Music)

@Citsonga

Although the song came out in 2014, I hadn't heard it before either until  the other day when I ran across it on YT.   As I was trying to find out how to buy it, I found this:

<snipped>

Petty also arches his eyebrow toward not just the Catholic Church but religion in general in the article, saying, “Religion seems to me to be at the base of all wars… I’ve nothing against defending yourself, but I don’t think, spiritually speaking, that there’s any conception of God that should be telling you to be violent. It seems to me that no one’s got Christ more wrong than the Christians.”

Most of the fans who buy Hypnotic Eye when it comes out Tuesday won’t hear “Playing Dumb,” due to its bonus-track status. (The double-LP configuration that includes the song is only currently for sale via Petty’s website, while the Blu-Ray is available through other outlets.) Billboard says Petty kept the song out of the main running order of the album not because it would be controversial but because it was “hard to sequence” with the other 11 tracks.

Much of the rest of Hypnotic Eye has a sociopolitical subtext, as evidenced by titles like “American Dream Plan B.” But the magazine also duly notes that Petty “won’t take the bait” when he’s asked to name names of the figures he might have in mind as targets, saying “it’s a political album that’s not really on either side” with themes that are “really more about morality than politics.”

<snipped>

https://www.yahoo.com/music/tom-petty-decries-catholic-church-playing-dumb-about-203906946.html

Wow--that song from Cracker really does sound like it could've been Tom Petty!

ETA:  Last week the blu-ray album was out of stock on Amazon, but it is available now.   It doesn't seem to be available in a digital format.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_21?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hypnotic+eye+tom+petty+blu+ray&sprefix=tom+petty+blu+ray+hyp%2Caps%2C128&crid=5DBWX89RTHLQ

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

Wow--that song from Cracker really does sound like it could've been Tom Petty!

Yeah, I really did used to think it was him. I just checked out a handful of other Cracker songs and didn't care for any of them, but that one song "Low" is really good. I may have to download it the next time I'm picking out MP3s on Amazon.

P.S. -- Thanks for the additional info on the Tom Petty song.

• Like 1

Was going through some old bookmarks and ran across this.  I went through a spell of muttering "Hasa Diga Eebowai" under my breath.  Now hearing the song makes me smile and LOL.     It's from The Book of Mormon and probably would be considered NSFW.

I just began listening to Metallica again.  When I was in middle/early high school, I was starting to get into guitar, which meant I started to listen to guitar heavy music.  I had a few Metallica songs that I liked, but didn't pursue their discography further after my dad said that they were Satan worshipers.  This was entirely wrong, and not too many of their songs deal with religion, but I tried to avoid their music.  After deconverting, I decided to give them another listen, and bought a lot of their albums as a result.  I've been deconverted for quite some time, so that aspect of the music doesn't influence why I listen to it so much anymore.  Still, it's a fun back story.

I recently got the remaining music from their "Classic Period".  The albums I bought include Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All, and Garage Inc. (which includes several B-Sides and rare tracks from their classic period).  I knew a lot of this music before, but I decided to get the complete albums instead of just a few songs off of them.

Here's a track that I enjoy a lot:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jazzyspinalfusion said:

I just began listening to Metallica again.  When I was in middle/early high school, I was starting to get into guitar, which meant I started to listen to guitar heavy music.  I had a few Metallica songs that I liked, but didn't pursue their discography further after my dad said that they were Satan worshipers.  This was entirely wrong, and not too many of their songs deal with religion, but I tried to avoid their music.  After deconverting, I decided to give them another listen, and bought a lot of their albums as a result.  I've been deconverted for quite some time, so that aspect of the music doesn't influence why I listen to it so much anymore.  Still, it's a fun back story.

I recently got the remaining music from their "Classic Period".  The albums I bought include Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All, and Garage Inc. (which includes several B-Sides and rare tracks from their classic period).  I knew a lot of this music before, but I decided to get the complete albums instead of just a few songs off of them.

It's great that you've been liberated and can enjoy stuff like that now. The classic era is the best for real metal fans, but most of the other albums have a lot of good stuff, too. Death Magnetic and Hardwired To Self-Destruct both have some stuff that gets back to the metal roots on the earlier albums, as exemplified in my last post, especially with the song Spit Out The Bone. (Though there's bickering among Metallica fans about their different eras and style changes, I'd personally say that the only bad albums they've made were St. Anger and Lulu.)

17 hours ago, Citsonga said:

(Though there's bickering among Metallica fans about their different eras and style changes, I'd personally say that the only bad albums they've made were St. Anger and Lulu.)

I'm a huge Lou Reed fan as well.  The fact that Lulu is his last album released always makes me a little upset, especially because Lou Reed an actually pull off metal music occasionally.  The Blue Mask is a great track from him that is heavy as hell.

On 11/6/2017 at 1:54 AM, jazzyspinalfusion said:

I'm a huge Lou Reed fan as well.  The fact that Lulu is his last album released always makes me a little upset, especially because Lou Reed an actually pull off metal music occasionally.  The Blue Mask is a great track from him that is heavy as hell.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Lou Reed myself. I think the collaboration between him and Metallica probably looked good "on paper," but the end result was unbearable.

I just looked up The Blue Mask. At first listen it's not too bad. It would probably take me a couple more listens to fully appreciate, but it's certainly much better than the atrocity known as Lulu.

I've been listening to the Pentatonix rendition of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. I fucking love it.

• Like 1

Dutch hip-hop/gypsy-jazz band that I was lucky to find about 10 years ago by accident.  Seems they finally made an album😎

link to playlist...

https://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLZnn1OvcHt0U_sC04Si6U9zHE4424Br-_

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2017 at 11:19 AM, Jeff said:

Dutch hip-hop/gypsy-jazz band that I was lucky to find about 10 years ago by accident.  Seems they finally made an album😎

Interesting. I like the music. If there was a version without the hip-hop vocals, then I'd probably listen to it.

I think I may have posted this one before but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.