Goodbye Jesus

Moral Issues - Churchy People Pick Some Strange Ones

Guest MadameX

Guest Xtech

Why do those churchy types latch onto various hot-button type 'moral' issues, such as abortion, homosexuality, yadda yadda, when there are things such as wars going on, wars in which real people get killed for often murky reasons - often for immoral reasons? There are many thorny issues, such as poverty, that are so deep and difficult, is it just easier to put on a big loud show about how yucky abortion or homosexuality is and just ignore the deaths of soldiers and civilians?

The ridiculous culture wars issues just distract attention and resources from the real problems. It's cheap. Meanwhile, there are hungry people to feed. Children to educate. These people are building their careers, it seems to me, and making the world a more contentious divided place.

This rant was prompted by my Googling a high school classmate who has become a superduper sanctimonious pro-lifer nitwit bigwig in the Catholic church. I can tell you what he was like in grade school and high school ... weeeeiirrdddd.

/rant

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

There have always been certain sins (such as gluttony) they ignore. To the religious, "morality" simply means sex rules and regulations.

• Like 1

Caring about real problems is hard, and makes most churchies want to cry and go poopie.

Hating teh gayz is easier, and harassing scared young women makes them feel all powerful. It just makes me want to put a foot up their asses.

There are some christians who do care for the poor and want to make real and lasting differences in the world, but those are few and far between, and nearly non-existent in America. They only care about helping when a disaster strikes and it hits a place with mostly white protestant people. Then they only give enough to make themselves feel good.

• Like 5

Well, don't they think war is good becasue so they can bring Jesus to places like Iraq?

• Like 1

Why do those churchy types latch onto various hot-button type 'moral' issues, such as abortion, homosexuality, yadda yadda, when there are things such as wars going on, wars in which real people get killed for often murky reasons - often for immoral reasons? There are many thorny issues, such as poverty, that are so deep and difficult, is it just easier to put on a big loud show about how yucky abortion or homosexuality is and just ignore the deaths of soldiers and civilians?

The ridiculous culture wars issues just distract attention and resources from the real problems. It's cheap. Meanwhile, there are hungry people to feed. Children to educate. These people are building their careers, it seems to me, and making the world a more contentious divided place.

This rant was prompted by my Googling a high school classmate who has become a superduper sanctimonious pro-lifer nitwit bigwig in the Catholic church. I can tell you what he was like in grade school and high school ... weeeeiirrdddd.

/rant

The bible and the early church (or pretty much the Jews of that time for that matter) didn't care for abortion or homosexuality. They believed they should care for orphans and widows. That the poor would always be around as well as most types of sick people. Wars were just a part of life.

Flash forward to today. So what's changed? Nothing. Why should it change? The religion is basically the same. They're not writing new books. They try to interpret bits and pieces in new and creative ways every now and again but the basics are the same from a couple thousand years back (give or take).

So there's nothing new to tackle. The same moral problems exist. The same physical problems exist. And the same answers exist. Ultimately it will all get magically renewed and set right. Until then we have to deal with the same old things over and over again in the same old ways. You'd think someone would catch on that this isn't working after so much time but I guess this is just another one of those problems.

mwc

• Like 1

It's the gays and the abortions that CAUSE the wars......duh! Everyone knows that god is sooooooooooo upset at all the sex and abortions going on that he is allowing the wars to happen. If only we would turn from our wickedness, then god would allow us to live in peace.

If we don't watch out, he might throw in a hurricane or put a black hole near our sun.

Control, pure and simple. Sexuality and reproduction are the core driving forces of all life. If you control the most primal, base feelings with fear and guilt, you can easily control the lower ones like tithing and ignoring kiddy fiddling priests. They could target big issues like bigotry, or hunger, but it is far more important to tell you whether or not you can masturbate or wear a rubber ton prevent a unwanted pregnancy.

I guess you could say they've you by the balls. When someone grabs your nuts and pulls, you don't have much if s choice but going along with them.

• Like 1

doG is more concerned with the dangly bits between our thighs and where we put them, lesbian sex is OK as there is no penile/orifice intrusions. Most straight men would be turned on by girl on girl action, just see how much you can google in this regard.

As for abortion, this issue will never go away until it is legal in all states on request.

In SA the gays have total equal rights, no one may publicly slam them as that is hate speech. Abortion is OK up to 20 weeks after which, abortions need to be sanctioned by a higher authority or can be done where there is risk to the mother's life.

Of course here in SA, the sky fell, the poles reversed and we had massive tsunamis destroying the entire coastline of South Africa. All the inland cities were hit by cataclysmic earthquakes and we no longer have skyscrapers anywhere....

Oh that really did not happen so I guess gawd really does not give a shit in the first place. :HaHa:

We do have a declining teen pregnancy due to free distribution of condoms and BCP's and although, AID's is a problem, we do seem to be getting it under control.

Oh and our gay pride carnivals do not make the front page of the news anymore and the bible bashers are not allowed to stand there and condemn teh gaze to teh pitz anymore.

I posted elsewhere about my experience with friends of 30+ years whom we haven't seen now for the past two, because all they wanted to do was argue about social issues. It's strange, they never did try to 'wittness" to us or talk about religion, no, it was always about abortion, gay rights, Obamacare, you name it. I finally decided I didn't care for their company anymore. The change took place when they left a more centerist fundie church and started attending an 'independant bible' church. It's also strange that over the years I never ever brought up any of this stuff to them. I just accepted that we disagreed and was willing to continue the friendship. It apparently often doesnt cut two ways.

I was going to post this under its own topic but it fits here so I will mention that my son's ninth grade Honors English class had a debate the last day of school on abortion. We live in a deep red state and in an affluent part of town, many of the kids and their families attend big mega churches. What he came home and told me was chilling. 34 kids in the class, then when they chose up sides he and three others were the only pro choice students. Many of the kids on the other side were saying that abortion is always wrong and that the death penalty should be applied to women who get one. Some of the 'pro lifers' were livid. It was as if they never ever heard any other point of view. It does make me fear for the future of our nation as a free society should this trend continue.