Goodbye Jesus

Know Thyself

AaronOz

On my journey out of Christianity, I got a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist which says 'know thyself'. It was a reminder for me to be truthful to myself know matter where the truth took me. I've been thinking a lot about this lately and how this is a taboo subject in most Christian circles.

The teaching of 'less of me, more of Him' was taught with an abundance in the churches I attended. We were taught to 'crucify the flesh', to 'stop seeking worldly things' and 'trust completely in God'. We were taught that we should fight the flesh at every turn. Capture our thoughts.

Why? Because the self is evil? No. I reckon It's a little more insidious than that.

Control.

When a person asks the big questions in life, like.. Who am I? The question cant help but touch on the big parts of our psyche, such as who is God.. What do i believe.. Who is speaking into my life. The journey of self discovery is almost always a bumpy road. Some questions can't be answered, some of them, as in my case, undermined everything I believed. When we are are an 'empty vessel', we're free to be filled with whatever crap that our spiritual 'superiors' are willing to feed us. An empty vessel asks no questions. It doesn't question poor leadership. It doesn't instill doubt in other members of the congregation. You stop the search for self, and all individuality is lost,

I think that's why the bible calls people sheep. Bah bah bah. We're not individuals of Christ. We're the 'body' of Christ. A part of a whole, a cog in the machine,

Imagine how different Chistianity would look if self discovery were taught. Imagine if empowering the individual was greater than controlling the masses.

Know thyself is such a simple statement, and I had no idea how dangerous it would be for my christianity when I had it tattood.

Interesting isn't it, that the original sin was the eating of the fruit of knowledge. After eating it, Adam became 'self aware' and went looking for underwear.

It seems that particular fruit is still forbidden, and its still sitting on a tree right under every Christians nose. We're told not to eat of it, let we die.

A shiny read apple that simply says 'know thyself".

Go on.. Have a bite. Then you'll see how naked you really are.

Damn. I sound just like that talking snake lol.

• Like 1

On my journey out of Christianity, I got a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist which says 'know thyself'. It was a reminder for me to be truthful to myself know matter where the truth took me. I've been thinking a lot about this lately and how this is a taboo subject in most Christian circles.

The teaching of 'less of me, more of Him' was taught with an abundance in the churches I attended. We were taught to 'crucify the flesh', to 'stop seeking worldly things' and 'trust completely in God'. We were taught that we should fight the flesh at every turn. Capture our thoughts.

Why? Because the self is evil? No. I reckon It's a little more insidious than that.

Control.

When a person asks the big questions in life, like.. Who am I? The question cant help but touch on the big parts of our psyche, such as who is God.. What do i believe.. Who is speaking into my life. The journey of self discovery is almost always a bumpy road. Some questions can't be answered, some of them, as in my case, undermined everything I believed. When we are are an 'empty vessel', we're free to be filled with whatever crap that our spiritual 'superiors' are willing to feed us. An empty vessel asks no questions. It doesn't question poor leadership. It doesn't instill doubt in other members of the congregation. You stop the search for self, and all individuality is lost,

I think that's why the bible calls people sheep. Bah bah bah. We're not individuals of Christ. We're the 'body' of Christ. A part of a whole, a cog in the machine,

Imagine how different Chistianity would look if self discovery were taught. Imagine if empowering the individual was greater than controlling the masses.

Know thyself is such a simple statement, and I had no idea how dangerous it would be for my christianity when I had it tattood.

Interesting isn't it, that the original sin was the eating of the fruit of knowledge. After eating it, Adam became 'self aware' and went looking for underwear.

It seems that particular fruit is still forbidden, and its still sitting on a tree right under every Christians nose. We're told not to eat of it, let we die.

A shiny read apple that simply says 'know thyself".

Go on.. Have a bite. Then you'll see how naked you really are.

Damn. I sound just like that talking snake lol.

Aaron,Welcome to EX-c! good to have you!

When I read your post, I was thinking to myself that ' more of him' also means more of other people too! Teachers, preachers, mothers, fathers,aunts,uncles,grandparents, friends and the whole damn world is a talking snake. They all tell you how to live, be, act, etc.....no wonder as we get to a certain point in our lives, we don't know who the hell we are or how to act authentic. Learned conditioning! Just like a dog!! Robots - not allowed to have your own mind or opinion unless it goes along with the worlds system!

I've adapted, 'To Thine own Self Be true'. I have it hanging right here in my computer room.I have been dipping my little toe into the cool waters (with an apple in my hand) and I love all the new knowledge I am learning. Does scare the crap out of me, cause I am seeing all kinds of things about me that I really don't know what to do with yet. Deep down - I was always a rebeller and bucked the system. I wouldn't want to bow to the queen, but I would give her a friendly nod and say; 'hey Liz - what's happenin'?. I always hated being a 'sheep' but I did it anyway........ now I'm 56 and ready to break loose - but I'm not quite sure what to run to, or away from.

It is a bumpy road - no doubt about it! Loved your post! thanks........Maybe I'll go get a tatto tomorrow...........:shrug: Ya never know with me lately........

Definitely get the tattoo!

I considered "this above all. To thine own self be true." but there wasn't enough room on my wrist!

I also like more less hollywood and far more negative version of carpe diem.. It's awesome in its true context.

This is from Horace - Odes 1.11

Don't ask (it's forbidden to know) what final fate the gods have

given to me and you, Leuconoe, and don't consult Babylonian

horoscopes. How much better it is to accept whatever shall be,

whether Jupiter has given many more winters or whether this is the

last one, which now breaks the force of the Tuscan sea against the

facing cliffs. Be wise, strain the wine, and trim distant hope within

short limits. While we're talking, grudging time will already

have fled: seize the day, trusting as little as possible in tomorrow.