Goodbye Jesus

Hearing The Voice Of Satan

Googledotman

OK. Here is the story.

I have been an ex-Christian for 2 years but out of the blue started hanging with some Christians. They would invite me to events and I would go, but I would go only if they realized that I have no intention of being an ex-Christian again. I believe that though most of the bible is shit, there are a few good things in there that could really change things in the earth for the better. But I was invited to a prayer session at my school and was praying, not to Christ, but to any other deity that was listening. I asked if there is a God out there that he reveal himself to me. Then I started hearing a voice. It told me that Christians have different spiritual paths than non Christians and that my spiritual path does not include Christ. It then told me to start an alternative spiritual paths club which would include atheists, agnostics, and people who aren't Christians, but the voice also seemed to understand that I was in a stressful period in my life at the time, and told me to wait a year before starting one. He said that if I did, I would find money and a boyfriend (I'm gay and currently broke).

Now before you think I am crazy, yes I am Bipolar, and have had some instances where a voice that sounded a lot like James Earl Jones would tell me to do some OCD related things. I would even argue with this voice at times. But this voice that I heard while praying didn't seem to be replicable. In fact, no matter how hard I try, I can't replicate his tone of voice.

Am I crazy? Did I have an unintended religious experience? Someone please help.

Sounds like schizophrenia, but I'm not a psychologist. Hearing literal voices is a good reason to consult with your doctor as it could be any number of things and certainly calls for getting yourself checked out. Ignoring it could exacerbate the problem.

• Like 3

Only you can answer those questions. As one who believes I have heard the voice of God on many occasions, what you mentioned sounds like wishful thinking in response to your environment. That's just my opinion though. You are going to have to answer for yourself.

OK. Here is the story.

I have been an ex-Christian for 2 years but out of the blue started hanging with some Christians. They would invite me to events and I would go, but I would go only if they realized that I have no intention of being an ex-Christian again. I believe that though most of the bible is shit, there are a few good things in there that could really change things in the earth for the better. But I was invited to a prayer session at my school and was praying, not to Christ, but to any other deity that was listening. I asked if there is a God out there that he reveal himself to me. Then I started hearing a voice. It told me that Christians have different spiritual paths than non Christians and that my spiritual path does not include Christ. It then told me to start an alternative spiritual paths club which would include atheists, agnostics, and people who aren't Christians, but the voice also seemed to understand that I was in a stressful period in my life at the time, and told me to wait a year before starting one. He said that if I did, I would find money and a boyfriend (I'm gay and currently broke).

Now before you think I am crazy, yes I am Bipolar, and have had some instances where a voice that sounded a lot like James Earl Jones would tell me to do some OCD related things. I would even argue with this voice at times. But this voice that I heard while praying didn't seem to be replicable. In fact, no matter how hard I try, I can't replicate his tone of voice.

Hi Googledotman.Thanks for sharing this story. It is so hard when we open ourselves up like this. I appreciate your honesty. It sounds to me as if your OCD and 'bi-polar' disorder could be the reason for the voices. Are you on the proper medication, my friend? Maybe, this would be a good time to talk to your doctor about what's going on.

I believe that if you get and stay on the proper 'meds' and a good healthy diet - you will probable be in good shape to work, make some money and get that boyfriend that you want!

Good luck my dear friend.

Am I crazy?

No, you are not. If believing you have heard the voice of some spiritual entity makes one crazy, then many of the people who post on this forum, including me, would have qualified as being crazy when we were Christians. It is a matter of interpreting the source of the voice that makes the difference. Just realize that the voice was from you and not from some outside source. As such there is nothing divine or necessarily correct about what you said to yourself in your mind.

Did I have an unintended religious experience?

It depends on how you define "religious experience." If by "religious experience" you mean a communication from a deity (or some spiritual being), then, no, you did not have a religious experience because, as I have said, that was a voice generated by you in your mind. If by "religious experience" you mean that your subconscious mind may have communicated some deep seated desire on your part that you had not consciously realized, then, yes, it could be considered a religious experience. But that kind of "religious experience" does not include any spiritual being communicating with you.

OF I think you should read the last bit of his post

I don't think you are crazy. Religious people, even those who do not attend church, hear the voice of god, jesus, angels, satan, demons, etc.. I believe that one's religious beliefs make them prone to visions and voices. There is a mental disorder that many religious people have called 'Omenosis.' Having a mental illness does not make a person crazy. Depression is a mental illness, btw. People who are depressed also tend to hear voices and see visions and have stages of euphoria. I think you just have a lot of religious baggage you haven't freed yourself of yet.

• Like 1

Arguing with voices in your head does not constitute as crazy? Am I missing a memo on the new definition of what crazy is? Or are we all just trying to be politically correct here?

OP you aren't the unstable kind of crazy, you seem to me like you genuinely have the capability to tackle this issue affecting your life, and that is wonderful. Many people won't even admit they have a problem.

I'm not trying to be mean but I don't want to sugar coat something serious either. if I made a post like this I would want someone to give it to me bluntly.

• Like 2

You people do realize he is hearing audible voices, right? I'm pretty sure that's a symptom of schizophrenia.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/aug/schizophrenia/

Hearing voices is a nearly universal symptom of schizophrenia, and the simulation reproduces that in a way that Frey says is very authentic, and Silberner says is alarming

• Like 2

You people do realize he is hearing audible voices, right? I'm pretty sure that's a symptom of schizophrenia.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/aug/schizophrenia/

Hearing voices is a nearly universal symptom of schizophrenia, and the simulation reproduces that in a way that Frey says is very authentic, and Silberner says is alarming

Yeah. And a number of other serious psychotic disorders that are worth seeking professional treatment for ASAP.

Phanta

• Like 2

Unless he speaks Klingon, you are hearing something else :wicked:

Spock told me teh debbul only speaks Klingon. J/K :grin:

I don't think the OP states specifically that what he heard was audible. Perhaps he could be more specific.

Yes, anything "not normal" is crazy. He needs thorazine! </snark>

Googledotman, nothing you said you heard would harm yourself or others. Even if you "made it up", what harm is there in trying to fulfill what you heard? Sounds like a good idea, no matter where it came from.

I asked if there is a God out there that he reveal himself to me. Then I started hearing a voice. It told me that Christians have different spiritual paths than non Christians and that my spiritual path does not include Christ.

Why would you need to hear a voice to understand this? I understand this for myself, yet no voice outside me needed to tell me this. It's self-evident, isn't it?

BTW, your topic title says "Hearing the Voice of Satan". On what basis do you attribute this to Satan? (There might be clue in this).

It then told me to start an alternative spiritual paths club which would include atheists, agnostics, and people who aren't Christians, but the voice also seemed to understand that I was in a stressful period in my life at the time, and told me to wait a year before starting one. He said that if I did, I would find money and a boyfriend (I'm gay and currently broke).

However this phenomenon manifested itself, clearly everything you say here is you talking to yourself. In how I would understand this, any sort of truly transcendent experience would not deal with such mundane matters. Such mundane matters would be utterly non-issues should you have actually encountered a manifestation of something infinitely beyond them. All such worries would vaporize, not tell you to in essence "Hang in there... it'll get better for you next year". This appears very much you trying to deal with your present environment.

Even in your illness if you learn to recognize yourself in all this, there may be important and valuable insights you can gain. Just understand them symbolically and don't place some new "Gospel-Truth" status to them. You're not "hearing" anything different than those who realize this stuff without hearing voices from some supernatural origin.

I don't see where he said they were audible.

I don't think the OP states specifically that what he heard was audible. Perhaps he could be more specific.

He talks about how the voices sound. He stated that he used to hear a voice that sounded like James Earl Jones and now he is concerned because the voice sounds differently. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding and he is speaking figuratively, but it sounds like he says he's hearing audible voices. :shrug:

If they are audible, I would agree he needs to see a psychiatrist. However, I think he was probably having an emotional battle with his environment and having an equal amount of pressure concerning other plans (other than the plans they had for him) could be the way he equalized what was happening to his emotional equilibrium.

I agree that if he is hearing audible voices that is a different matter from perceiving "voices" solely within his mind.

To the OP: I would never use the word "crazy" in connection with someone having mental problems. It's a perjorative term that I don't use in that manner. But if you are hearing audible voices, then I think you should report this to your psychiatrist and go from there.

Yes, anything "not normal" is crazy. He needs thorazine! </snark>

Googledotman, nothing you said you heard would harm yourself or others. Even if you "made it up", what harm is there in trying to fulfill what you heard? Sounds like a good idea, no matter where it came from.

I'm glad you aren't paid to give people mental illness advice.

@ OF: Fair enough

@ OP: It is probably better to listen to OF, Vigile and antlerman on this one, I'm not sure why I replied to this thread, maybe to add my voice in with the "yes you need help" party.

I'm out. I've been called crazy and insane for my spiritual experiences. I suppose, even in this sub-forum, experiences are bad.

I should fucking leave ex-c.

Guest Valk0010

I'm out. I've been called crazy and insane for my spiritual experiences. I suppose, even in this sub-forum, experiences are bad.

He did say he was bipolar, and if that site is right, it could just as easily be a symptom of him being bipolar. I dunno i could be wrong, but you know, if there is a medical problem it needs to be addressed.

He did say he was bipolar, and if that site is right, it could just as easily be a symptom of him being bipolar. I dunno i could be wrong, but you know, if there is a medical problem it needs to be addressed.

It COULD be, but it's not HARMFUL, is it?????

and COULD BE isn't a way to make a diagnosis.

But most would rather me shut up while they all call him "mentally ill" and "insane." So go on and do that.

@ Luna: you're on a forum, once you put your post out there it is free game. I took a shot because you were suggesting that he should just roll with it despite admitting to multiple occasions of hearing voices and even arguing with them.

Maybe somewhere else in this universe all your dreams are true, but not on this planet.

@ Valk: You're right and I don't know what her deal is. Getting mad doesn't really help her case LoL.