Goodbye Jesus

I Don't Miss The Music

AaronOz

Far out,, did anyone else always HATE Xian music?

Did xians NEVER go to a real concert? Wtf?

And, I might add that I went for a while to the church that provided most of the music to the rest of the world.. Hillsong

As a guitarist, i used to joke that I could play the entire Hillsong worship catalogue with G, C, D and Em

I should add that for this who read my un-testimony that I had a lot of good experiences at Hillsong and all the bad stuff happened at a smaller church. :)

Don't know why I feel I should justify that, but I was never hurt there. I feel that's important to add.

Well I didn't always hate it. I used to love all that music that drove my emotional "worship experiences." It really bugs me now though and some of the songs make me anxious.

Guest Valk0010

Far out,, did anyone else always HATE Xian music?

Did xians NEVER go to a real concert? Wtf?

And, I might add that I went for a while to the church that provided most of the music to the rest of the world.. Hillsong

As a guitarist, i used to joke that I could play the entire Hillsong worship catalogue with G, C, D and Em

Hehe, simple and bad. Its seems like whatever that was new in christian music, was pop music from five years ago. Same rhythms and melodies and everything in 2011 that was very popular in 2006.

There were very few christian bands that I thought were any good and a great deal of it was really really bad. Your joke about G C D and Em was certainly not the only one of it's kind!

But I did *love* the music, not for it's quality and sound, thats not what I was looking for as a Christian, it was the way the music and worship times helped me 'connect' with God, and often the lyrics were very powerful and a great way to express how I was feeling. If anything, it was the churches and christian bands that tried to replicate the secular music scene and tried to 'look cool' that did my head in. I was much more appreciative of the simple 'worship bands' who just sang and led the music rather than trying to entertain - I wasn't a huge fan of things like hillsongs although I did have one of their cd's at one point.

That said I live in the UK where there aren't many 'mega churches' and the Christian music scene is rather small :-)

I actually liked the classic Jewish songs (we sang some of those) and there were some other nice ones. But generally I found worship boring.

I still like the old traditional hymns.

The Welsh ones and things like the Hallelujah Chorus. They sort of kept the religion at arms length.

Speaking of chords, Aaron, there's a guy on Facebook called Mal Webb who has an interest in the chord sequences and the moods that they engender. Sometimes he asks his Facebook friends to give him examples of well known songs with particular sequences and then he puts all the samples together. Mal is a performer who is based in Melbourne, Australia.

btw, "Nostalgia" comes from the chord progression F to A7. Example is "I still call Australia home" if you know it.

I still like some old gospel music, and enjoyed some hymns, but I wasn't a part of a church who did the whole contemporary music. When I attended one, I thought "wow, this music fucking sucks!"

Contemporary Christian music/"worship" music that is marketed is indeed total shit. Never liked it, never will.

• Like 1

I still like some old gospel music, and enjoyed some hymns, but I wasn't a part of a church who did the whole contemporary music. When I attended one, I thought "wow, this music fucking sucks!" Contemporary Christian music/"worship" music that is marketed is indeed total shit. Never liked it, never will.

Same with me. I enjoyed the old Christian music, as well as some secular songs the church's choir sang as these were considered to be Christian subliminally ( like U 2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For). Once I remember having fun in church singing old secular Hippie tunes about peace and love, but my happy mood was gone when the pastor ranted in a sermon about how GLBT people are "sinning" afterwards.

However, a lot of the Christian pop music either sounds like that shitty Rhianna Eminem song Love the Way You Lie, or like a "I'm holier than thou" Christian Valley Girl ranting about her little Christian high school clique and how they are better than everyone else. Also I don't get why a lot of Christian rock music these days sounds like a constipated old man, who has smoked too much, grunting out hymns with Nirvana like grooves. Even Kurt Cobain, despite being strung out on drugs, didn't sound like he hadn't taken a shit for a month. :HaHa:

What bothered me the most was how the contemporary worship songs are almost all upbeat and in major key. Shallow and inhuman, just like the happy clone they wanted everyone to be. When I'm in a bad mood, I like to listen to music that matches my mood to have an outlet for it, and will start feeling angry if there's too much happy fluff music. Music is supposed to express emotions, right? Not try to force you to repress them. I'd get even more annoyed when I'd read the psalms in the bible and discover they were full of violence and rage, so the "only sing happy fluff" wasn't even biblical.

What bothered me the most was how the contemporary worship songs are almost all upbeat and in major key. Shallow and inhuman, just like the happy clone they wanted everyone to be.

There's songs that make Jesus sound like a domestic abuser and sound so happy like that Rhianna song how she's all belting out how "That's all right because I love the way it hurts!" The masochism of those Christian songs (and also that Rhianna song too) always make me barf. :puke:

I enjoyed creed back in the day...Now not so much. The words never interested me, but I enjoyed their musicality. A lot of classical music is religiously influenced. I still enjoy it. Some people have claimed Stravinsky's Firebird Suite to have a religious theme. Frankly, I don't care, its still one of my favorite pieces of all time.

I enjoyed creed back in the day...Now not so much. The words never interested me, but I enjoyed their musicality. A lot of classical music is religiously influenced. I still enjoy it. Some people have claimed Stravinsky's Firebird Suite to have a religious theme. Frankly, I don't care, its still one of my favorite pieces of all time.

I thought the R&B group PM Dawn was Christian because of some of the lyrics of their songs such as Patient Eyes. :HaHa:

I did like the traditional hymns but absolutely hated the Christian rock/pop because it was all fluff and no substance.

I like very much the music made by orthodox christians, and I listen to it sometimes on youtube.:grin:

Ha! It's 'not just me then! I like the old hymns and I believe in the lyrics pretty much of redemption but much of the contemporary christian is just plastic sounding I thought. Is it me? It's the type that people put their hands in the air unlike the old hymns but it is lacking real uh what;s the word, oh right, music! yeah, music. IT MOSTLY DOES NOT SOUND LIKE MUSIC LOL

What bothered me the most was how the contemporary worship songs are almost all upbeat and in major key. Shallow and inhuman, just like the happy clone they wanted everyone to be. When I'm in a bad mood, I like to listen to music that matches my mood to have an outlet for it, and will start feeling angry if there's too much happy fluff music. Music is supposed to express emotions, right? Not try to force you to repress them. I'd get even more annoyed when I'd read the psalms in the bible and discover they were full of violence and rage, so the "only sing happy fluff" wasn't even biblical.

I always thought they ought to have a place people could go before service to pray for others poeple's problems or meditate instead of singing or before the singing started or a place to have spritiual warfare. It doesn't help to be told to have sacrifical singing when you are so upset emotionally.

So, its funny, we are the bad rebels and we like the the old down to earth calm music. Yeah, Christians don't get get that. They would not believe it.

I never hated christian music, but I did get sick of worship music over time even though (or maybe because, haha) I played in a worship band for a couple of years. I always thought it restricted the breadth and depth of real music in order to make it agree with the superficial feelings you were supposed to have during worship.

Listening to Muse right now. A kind of music definitely not fit to help the sheep tell their precious saviour how much they adore him.

So, its funny, we are the bad rebels and we like the the old down to earth calm music. Yeah, Christians don't get get that. They would not believe it.

psh speak for yourself :PI listen to Stravinsky. Nothing says rebel like the rite of spring....

Christians make terrible music. Just terrible uncreative zombie music.

There's a great parody by Tim Minchin:

• 2 weeks later...

I only listened to Christian music in church. I think some of it is beautiful at times, but certainly holds no meaning anymore and I do not seek it out.

I used to love it. I had a big collection. I started listening to Amy Grant when I was about nine, and I went on to absolutely love Michael W. Smith, Petra, White Heart, Steve Camp, Farrell and Farrell, Carman and many others. It was all I listened to, and I thought it was really good. I avoided secular music as much as possible.

Then I left the church and slowly began broadening my musical experience. Now, there are sooooo many types of music that I love, but I absolutely cannot abide Christian music, and I can spot it within three notes if I'm scrolling through the radio.

I still appreciate some of the melodies, but on the rare occasions I've gone back to listen to some of them, I've discovered they were all pretty much ripoffs of good pop music.

About the only one I miss is Michael W. Smith, but I really cannot abide the lyrics that go with his music.

JS Bach's music is still fantastic even though he was supposedly inspired by his raging Christianity....some of the gospel music of the African American church is flat out awesome - think of early Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers, Aretha Franklin, Mahalia Jackson, James Cleveland etc...and the music of the US Civil Rights Movement still has capacity to inspire greatly....If you juss caint stan it no mo, you might look back at the old IWW (Industrial Workers of the World) covers of Cristyun hymns... back in the 1920s they redid the lyrics to all the good church songs to make them subversive labor songs so when the sheriff sent out the Salvation Army Band to play over their labor chants, they could blast right along with the tunes and out-sing the anti-worker christyuns. The late Utah Phillips does some of these covers. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NPuK_QhEk&feature=related