Goodbye Jesus

So Heard My First Sermon In Like 5 Years

stryper

So this past weekend, the fam went up to Molien, IL for my brother-in-law's wedding.

All well and good.

For some stupid reason, the pastor had a scripture lesson and sermon in the middlle of the wedding.

Really???

So the ceremony starts and I am on toddler duty. The bride comes down the isle looking splendid. They do the presentation, and then we sing the song Here I am, Lord.

So the pastor then launches into the scripture from Isiah that the song was based on. Which is talking about angels putting coals on people's tounges in the middle of a wedding. He segues, rather well actually, into his sermon. The point he was trying to make was that marriage is a calling by god. However, he spent 90% of the sermon talking about how often marriages fail, high divorce rates, people not seeing the need to marry, and all these things about how people don't get married.

Even my wife was WTF shut up. It got worse because at some point the pastor realized he was digging himself a hole and tried to save it with a joke about the lion lying down with the lamb. The meat eater lion, Bride and the vegitarian lamb, Groom. Which got a half hearted chuckle from the audience.

I just had to vent. It just reminded me how much I HATED chruch. 15 -20 years outta the church and its still just as dumb.

Yeah nothing like a woo woo approach to fuck up a special day.

Thankfully my daughter has already decided she does not want a church wedding nor even a religious person presiding. She wants a simple garden wedding but that is still a few years into the future.

I've been to some duzies myself and the worst was one where the whole enjoying each others bodies was harped on for like 15 minutes. The bride was already 5 months pregnant so the dude was like preaching to the choir. I suppose this is the only legitimate time they can talk freely about sex.:shrug:

Ha! Ha! To me, that's funny, but then I didn't have to sit and listen to it either! Wouldn't it seem that a preacher should plan ahead of time what he's going to say?

When I was back there in seminary school, I was in a class where the professor advised us to keep the wedding "sermon" to an extreme minimum. You're just not going to change lives at a wedding. Just perform the ceremony, quickly and efficiently, and get them on their way.

Lots of preachers never got that advice. Still more who received the advice ignore it.