Goodbye Jesus

"Everyone believes in the same god!"

Lizard

Another work discussion..again, from looking at that posted sheet of paid holidays. Didn't notice it before, this part.

Its said "Winter Break" for a few years now. Pay dates were always listed as "Dec. 25 and Jan 1".

Now it says "Dec 22 and 23". That's what brought up today's discussion. Lady wanted to know why those were the dates. I told her "We don't do Christmas anymore." which is the truth, mostly.

She still didn't get it, so I said, "well, "Christmas" is generally thought of as "christian", but of course, its really pagan in origin. But, we don't differentiate for "Christmas".

That's when she came out with the "We all believe in the same god." thing.

My look must have said it all..she says "What? Don't we?"

I told her no, we don't. I gave her a brief (very brief) statement about christian beliefs coming from older, pagan beliefs.

Oh! And in her mind..Buddha is the same "god" that "everyone" believes in. She came up with that, because I have a buddha in my office.

Hopefully..I planted a seed or two. Most likely, she will just think me weird. Which is fine with me..I am weird.. :grin:

I'm sure Buddha would be surprised to hear he'd been demoted to "god"...

Eh, when I was still on the path to heaven, I felt all Gods were the same person too.

That thought eventually broke down all religious lines, and I saw it as one faith.

And then I became an Atheist.

Maybe there is hope for this co-worker of yours.

I'm sure Buddha would be surprised to hear he'd been demoted to "god"...

99833[/snapback]

Care to elaborate?

Oh boy, how could I miss this thread when I dropped in the time before?

Oh really?

Please ask her from me "How can Odin, Thor, Loki, Frey Yngwi, Baldr, Freya, Frigga, Hel, Eir and a multitude of other Gods and Goddesses be "the same god"? " :wicked:

Honestly, ask her. And if she wants to know, feel free to tell her that a German Asatruar, warrior of Thor, relayed that question to her ;)

Care to elaborate?

In Hindu/Buddhist thinking, the gods themselves are subject to the cycle of reincarntion. The Shiva of now may have been an aunt of yours in a previous life. As such, having the powers of a god is considered to be the greatest challenge to one who seeks release from the cycle. Indeed, Buddha was supposedly tempted with this shortly before becoming elightened. So for a Buddhist, coming back as a god would be a step down (towards a more ego-centric existence), not a step up (to a less ego-centric existence).

That make sense?

:thanks:

Oh really?

Please ask her from me "How can Odin, Thor, Loki, Frey Yngwi, Baldr, Freya, Frigga, Hel, Eir and a multitude of other Gods and Goddesses be "the same god"? "  :wicked:

Honestly, ask her. And if she wants to know, feel free to tell her that a German Asatruar, warrior of Thor, relayed that question to her ;)

100666[/snapback]

:lmao:

IF she comes back to my school (she was a floater/sub) I will definately ask her!

I used to think like that. You know, the all gods are just different names for the same one thing. But then I realized the existence of a god couldn't be proven.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to think like that.  You know, the all gods are just different names for the same one thing.  But then I realized the existence of a god couldn't be proven.

100789[/snapback]

I am new here and I wanted to post on this.

This is how the Ancients believed. They had a fluid polytheism and the polytheism was ONE religion. There wasn't a Mithras religion. There wasn't a Jupiter religion. There wasn't an Osiris religion. People would pray to Mithras or Osiris in the temple of Jupiter.

Greetings, welcome to the site. Good point.

Welcome Taphophilia,

Hope you'll enjoy the site. :)

Greetings from goo' ol' Germany Tapho!

(By the way, what does that name mean? :scratch: )

Oh really?

Please ask her from me "How can Odin, Thor, Loki, Frey Yngwi, Baldr, Freya, Frigga, Hel, Eir and a multitude of other Gods and Goddesses be "the same god"? " :wicked:

100666[/snapback]

Yea how can Odin be Freya. when Freya has boobies a pretty face, and a vigina, and Odin has a beard, no boodies and a penis? Therefore Odin and Freya are not the same person...... Unless Odin did steriods and grew boobies like on Fight Club.

106441[/snapback]

I never said they were the same god. I said it was a fluid polytheism and the polytheism was ONE religion. It didn't matter to the ancients which god you prayed to and where. It was all one religion.

Taphophilia is a person who loves to walk through cemetaries.

I wanted to add:

The ancients had many god's but one religion. At the temple of Jupiter in Rome beleivers honored not just Jupiter, but Serapis, or Dionysus, or Mithras - and no one cared or complained.

Initiates in the mysteries of Dionysus could and did simultaneously belong to the mysteries of Isis, and the mysteries of Mithras, and the mysteries of Attis.

Ancient cultures didn't really know there was such a thing as unique doctrine, so they didn't teach people to care when others disagreed. There were no religious wars, there were no forced conversions. (The only reason they didn't have religious intolerance was nobody had thought it up, UNTIL the ancient Christians came along and thought it up.)

Because the ancients didn't have unique doctrine, they borrowed and adapted from each other. Like, No Copyrights, borrow whatever you want. Over and over the ancients formed new faiths from old parts. This is why so much (all) of Christiantity is found in these ancient pagan faiths. Christianity IS an ancient pagan religion, or as I like to call it, The Ancient Urban Legend!

TUAL ?

106668[/snapback]

I am sorry. I have no idea what this means. Please explain.

I read through this thread and I posted and replied when I shouldn't have. I am so sorry. Please forgive me.

That will teach me not to read threads late at night past my bedtime when I am too tired.

TUAL ?

106668[/snapback]

I am sorry. I have no idea what this means. Please explain.

106819[/snapback]

"The Ancient Urban Legend"? ;)

I wanted to add:

The ancients had many god's but one religion.  At the temple of Jupiter in Rome beleivers honored not just Jupiter, but Serapis, or Dionysus, or Mithras - and no one cared or complained.

Initiates in the mysteries of Dionysus could and did simultaneously belong to the mysteries of Isis, and the mysteries of Mithras, and the mysteries of Attis.

Ancient cultures didn't really know there was such a thing as unique doctrine, so they didn't teach people to care when others disagreed.  There were no religious wars, there were no forced conversions.  (The only reason they didn't have religious intolerance was nobody had thought it up, UNTIL the ancient Christians came along and thought it up.)

Because the ancients didn't have unique doctrine, they borrowed and adapted from each other.  Like, No Copyrights, borrow whatever you want.  Over and over the ancients formed new faiths from old parts.  This is why so much (all) of Christiantity is found in these ancient pagan faiths.  Christianity IS an ancient pagan religion, or as I like to call it, The Ancient Urban Legend!

106481[/snapback]

The Egyptian's religion was around long before Rome. To get down to the nitty-gritty Rome just copied Greek and is newer. Isis and Osiris was around long before the greek or roman pantheons. They weren't the same religion since Babylon(sp).

Eh, when I was still on the path to heaven, I felt all Gods were the same person too.

That thought eventually broke down all religious lines, and I saw it as one faith.

And then I became an Atheist.

Maybe there is hope for this co-worker of yours.

100579[/snapback]

I was taught that the "other gods" were DEMONS that were decieving the poor pagans. :shrug:

This is supported from Gensis and on through the bible.